The Linch Scale

View The Linch Scale's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Millennial Media: Recent Departures And An Uninspiring Hiring Leave Investors Disappointed [View article]
    Company likely to be hitting their year-low mid December, where most small-cap losers bottom out as tax loss selling and fund window dressing peak before year end. I'd wait till then.
    Sep 6 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    Here is a 4th item that has concerned me with CBMX. I had originally considered making it a 4th bullet point, but felt my article was plenty long already. Also thought of mentioning it in closing, but would have then been bringing up a new topic.

Anyway, that 4th item is the continual listing of CBMX on the NASDAQ's Reg-Sho list, indicating the possibility of illegal shorts. The fact that these shorts are not covering despite the stock hitting new 52-wk lows indicates to me either they are bold in the beliefs this stock going lower or something similar to that. It's bad enough to be fighting off the legal shorts, but to also be battling an unknown number of illegal shorts indicates additional risk that should be taken into consideration. Additionally, since I began following CBMX in 2013, I've never noticed the company *not* being listed on the Reg-Sho list.

Here is the current Reg-Sho list:

Here is more info on naked short selling:
    Sep 3 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    Good luck with starting a family, nothing beats beating a dad. There is always adoption but it's a shame how difficult they government makes it to adopt a child. We have some friends, a lovely couple, that tried several times only getting denied for reasons I'm not aware of. Then they tried adopting abroad and got scammed. With 74,000,000 abortions in this country since 1973, you'd think the government should be making it easier, not harder. Wonder how easy they will make it to get those illegal children crossing our southern border adopted out?
    Sep 2 01:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    You are correct! SA has already credited me $35 for writing this.
    Sep 2 10:24 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CombiMatrix: A Turnaround Story For 2014 [View article]
    hneumann, I'd go pester the ZACKS analyst. The ZACKS guy is the only one to write a recommendation on CBMX since CBMX's attempt to have the case dismissed was rejected. Because of this, I'm (a little) more willing to give all the other articles that were written before end of June a free pass for leaving out this wee little (monstrous) detail.
    Sep 2 12:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    Goldman Sachs... astute? Ask the city of Detroit and many of the other cities tinkering on bankruptcy how they faired with the interest rate swaps products Goldman and many of the other large banks sold them mid-to-late 2000's.

Also, I'm still LOL'ing @ GS at their call to SELL Western Union (WU) only weeks after WU was able to sell $750 million worth of bonds at 2.375%-2.875 interest rates in Dec of 2012.

Not even Goldman or the US Govt was offering long-term bonds at that low of a rate. When you can raise THAT much money at THAT low of an interest rate, it means you are GOLDEN! Additionally, that SELL rating came with the stock at $13 and near 52-wk lows. Why do I remember this? Because I was buying WU's Jan'15 $10 calls @ 3.30.

Oh, and another great call by Goldman was the sell rating they put on one of the largest hospitals in the US, Community Health Systems (CYH) in 2011. The downgrade came after the stock had fallen from $40 to $20. It was up 70% 1.5 years later.

If you start trusting these "free" analyst reports that the big banks and big finance companies are publishing... understand, you are the sheep to be sheered. They are usually only pushing you in the direction they want you to move for their benefit, not your benefit. How else to do you think these mega banks can go entire quarters without a single day of trading losses?

Now lets talk about ZACKS... How can any LEGIT analyst come out and issue a $3.50 price target on a stock KNOWING that CBMX's attempt to have their lawsuit tossed out had been rejected and was currently being heard in the courtroom? It's coverage by analyst like Brian Marckx of ZACKS that are leading the masses to financial ruin. Seriously! I mean, how can one ignore such a massively negative potential outcome for shareholders, not even mention it, and then turn around and claim the stock is undervalued? Disgraceful!

Oh, and more regarding ZACKS.... loved their Corinthian Colleges (COCO) buy recommendation earlier this year while the stock was in the $1.60 range. Seems they pretty good at recommending small-cap stocks involved in massive lawsuits.

Sep 1 11:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    Thanks!
    Sep 1 07:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    Re: Appreciate the long article but "... too many words for such a tiny company".

Okay, now THIS is my favorite quote from you guys on here.
    Sep 1 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    Re: "It takes time, and BS lawsuits (yes the same lawsuit over and over and over and over again)". My favorite quote yet on here.

Questions I've pondered:
    1. Now that the State of California could profit from a verdict against CBMX, does that improve the likelihood of a guilty verdict? Not supposed to happen that way, but they eventually got O.J. didn't they?
    2. If CBMX is found guilty and if somehow National Union is not made whole... does that bring National Union back into play for a future lawsuit against CBMX? What about the deceased NGEN? Do they rise from the dead to file suit?
    3. Regarding CBMX's Motion for Summery Judgment being denied on procedural grounds account both were found to be defective.... Is this a huge negative account it now gives the impression that maybe their attorneys are not too good if they couldn't even produce the required paperwork properly? Or could it now somehow improve their odds of winning account there might have been the possibility that the case would have been tossed had their Summery Judgment submission simply not of been found to be defective? The fact that the case has now gone on over two months and that they've spent nearly 1 million defending themselves recently tells me this case should be a real concern.
    Sep 1 07:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    See above. Amazing coincidence.
    Sep 1 06:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    I can't think retroactively, so there was no way for me to know about the insider buys that had occurred probably about the exact same time my article here was first submitted for publication.

However, even I must admit, it was with great irony and coincidence that my risk-themed article here would happen to be published by SA within 120 seconds of that first insider buy in 14 months being announced.

Regarding those insider buys... looks like we are up to three persons now (12k shares CEO Mark McDonough @ 2.02, 7.5k shares by CMO Tyson R Weslie @ 2.04, and 1k shares by underpaid CFO Scott Burell). While these seem like positives on the surface, you need to put a BIG asterisk (*) next to them IMO.

Why? Because if there was immediate good news on the horizon, then why was director (and former CEO) Jessup Judd selling a large portion of his remaining shares of CBMX only two weeks prior? All in all, it was a net purchase of only 9,821 shares between the four of them for a grand total purchase valued at $19,642 (based on $2/share price).

If you think about it, that's a dirt cheap price to pay to have your company promoted and to give the illusion of confidence. Again, Jessup's sell was the 1st insider sell in 7 years! 7 years! IMO, if these three insiders REALLY believed this share price was the bottom, or near the bottom, we should have seen MUCH larger purchases than this.
    Sep 1 06:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dark Clouds Gather Around CombiMatrix [View article]
    Insiderz, as I stated in my opening remarks, this article was about the the risk involved in owning CBMX. I did not consider the partnership with SQNM to be at risk, and so it was not mentioned. Additionally, I believed I linked to every positive CBMX 2014 article that had been written that wasn't redundant. If you only wanted to hear positive stuff you should have stopped reading when you noticed the title. ;)
    Sep 1 06:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CombiMatrix: A Turnaround Story For 2014 [View article]
    Great write up. Tell me what you know about competition within the CMA field. How exclusive is CBMX to this niche? Any idea?
    Feb 14 05:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • J.C. Penney -1.6% pre-market, Craig-Hallum sees $0/share [View news story]
    Last huge rally started the day after the downgrade to $1 a month or so ago. This will be the start of next rally. The analyst are only trying to get you to move in the direction they want you to move. Buy low, Sell high... that's what they do... but they have the forum to get their message out while the minions do not. Don't be suckered.
    Jan 17 10:37 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Aruba Networks - Misrepresented And Misunderstood [View article]
    Nicely written, common sense article. I've been investing in ARUN only more recently... since noticing their two tiered drop back in May. I'm not a techie either and only learned of the company after seeing it pop up on a top decliners list. What I loved about the sell-off was that it went from 22 to 17's after announcing earnings would not be as good as expected. Then, once those actual earnings were released a few short weeks later, it dropped another leg from 17's to 13's. That's where I started buying in. Have now moved some of those funds into 2015 + 2016 LEAPS and have been writing short-term out-of-the-money calls against it. Love this stock below $17. Think it will be a big winner mid to long term.
    Oct 1 12:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment