The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Portfolio: 4th Quarter 2014 Update And Year-End Review [View article]
    Thank you Maybe. I like your view as well. :-)
    Mar 3, 2015. 09:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kolpin,

Thank you very much for that info. I appreciate it.

However, There are so many projections, predictions and warnings out there that I would go crazy if I tried to act based on them. I have no idea what is going to happen, regardless of what others may predict, so I am going to hold onto these stocks, and all my stocks, until a dividend cut actually happens. I know that may expose to me to some deep drops in price, but there will be other times when the cut never actually happens, and the stock in question goes on to new highs. (DRI is one example).

My philosophy is keep it simple. And trying to figure who is going to cut their dividend, before it ever actually happens, is simply too complicated for me.
    Feb 28, 2015. 10:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing, Total Return, And Indexing Revisited [View article]
    Cap,

"The point being that DGI is likely suboptimal in lots of respects. "

Can you name a few?
    Feb 21, 2015. 09:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    As we all know only two things are inevitable. So what can I do?
    Feb 11, 2015. 12:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Investing Mindset [View article]
    I'm locked. And happy to be. Once I finally found the right investing style for me why would I change?
    Feb 10, 2015. 10:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Getting Started With Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Craig,

Thanks for the shout out! :-)
    Feb 10, 2015. 10:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend Growth Investing Mindset [View article]
    Thanks for the article Chowder.
    Feb 10, 2015. 09:32 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    Madam,

Thanks for your comment. How are those CCs working out for you?
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    rn,

It would be interesting to see what those projections were and how your actual performance compares. You gonna take a look?
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    yestoeverything,

Thank you for your comment and for the honor of having you as a follower. I appreciate it.
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    GeorgeH,

Thanks for sharing your story. A lesson for all of us. Control your spending before anything else. This should be lesson #1 for everybody.
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    Nathan,

Thank you for your comment. I can't control the DGR of any particular stock, but I can have some control over the DGR of my portfolio as a whole. We'll see what the future holds.
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    Buffett's,

Thank you for your comment and you point is well taken. Let me just point out that I am not counting on anything. I'm just making projections, and comparisons, and showing that by looking for a higher DGR to compensate for the lower yield I can still maintain my future income (whatever it may be) even while adding the lower yielding stocks to my portfolio.

Also, I think it is more likely to maintain the DGR of a whole portfolio than it is to maintain the DGR of any particular stock. One can change the makeup of the portfolio to target a certain yield, buying or selling, or rebalancing as needed. 10.5% is the DGR of my portfolio this past year. I'm not sure why this past year should be consider special and not repeatable. But I will monitor it, see what happens, and reserve the right to take action if I'm not happy with how it is progressing.
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    User,

I may have done the projections differently than you (and others) would have, but since the same method was used for all scenarios I think the conclusion is still valid. And that is, by adding lower yielding stocks with higher DGRs I can maintain my future income prospects.

Thanks for your input.
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Balancing The Yield And The Dividend Growth Rate [View article]
    Catman,

Sounds like you're doing great! And you have a great system that works for you. I think we're all pretty much on the same page. We're all mindful of our yield, our DGR and the composition of our portfolios. And we monitor and adjust appropriately. As long as we stay on track, and keep reading SA I think we'll all be good.
    Feb 10, 2015. 08:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment