The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
    Chowder,

First, I hate that SA can't get the "reply" comment to immediately follow the comment it is responding to. All my comments are falling to the bottom, even though they are specifically addressing comments higher up in the comment stream. It can get confusing. I apologize.

As to your comments, It is my belief that a well constructed, well managed DGI portfolio WILL outperform the market in the long run. In order to prove this I need to show the comparison to SPY, and show how my portfolio is doing. The KISS portfolio was specifically set up to show that, over time, DGI can beat the market. So it is essential to my premise to show the results.
    Apr 17 05:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    qwerty,

I use the CCC list produced by David Fish (link found in my article), FAST graphs produced by Chuck Carnevale (fastgrpahs.com) and the S&P reports, which are available through many on line brokers.
    Apr 17 05:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    cdostrum,

Thanks for reading and thanks for your comment.
    Apr 17 03:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowder,

Thanks for the rant! I always love getting your input. Every time I read one of your comments I feel a little bit smarter.

Yes, I am comparing my performance to SPY and SDY, but that doesn't mean I will completely change course if I start to lag behind. If over the next few years I am behind the "market" by 1-2% I'll be OK with that, as long as my dividend income keeps growing at a rate I am happy with (I have not yet defined that rate. Maybe I should do that).

Having said that, I do believe that total return is important, at least to me (uh oh...is this going to cause you to go on another rant? lol). If the market is up 30% and I'm only up 10%, then yes I think I need to change something. If I'm putting all of my Part-time effort into my portfolio, and I lag the market by that much, then I won't be happy. And as you mentioned, I need to be happy with my results.

On the other hand, let me make it very clear there is no way that I believe that my portfolio will lag the market by that much. And in fact, my original reason for showing the comparison with SPY was to show my readers that my KISS portfolio WILL/DOES do as well as the market. I wanted to show that a well thought out plan, with easy to follow rules that were strictly enforced, could produce both excellent dividend income and growth AS WELL AS market matching returns. So I needed to show the SPY comparison to make this point. Otherwise the nay sayers out there would claim I failed on total return.

So, although I compare to the market, it doesn't mean I will change my plan if I don't beat it all the time. I am a dividend investor, and my income is the most important thing to me. But my hypothesis is that I will also keep up with the market (if not beat it). So I need to track the market to see if my hypothesis is true.
    Apr 17 03:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pharma,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I also don't know if I can outperform SPY over the long haul, but I know I will have fun trying. And I'll get some good articles out of the process. lol
    Apr 17 03:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Fritz,

Sounds very interesting. I would love to hear back from you as to how this works out for you. Any results so far at the the effectiveness of your "fritz rule"?
    Apr 17 03:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

As always thank you so much for your kind words. You have taught me so much, I'm just glad to be able to give something back to the SA community. My criteria are presented here for anybody to borrow as they see fit. May we all be successful with them.
    Apr 17 03:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Skip,

Thank for your kind words and for reading my articles. I appreciate it.

I'm glad you got back on the DGI wagon early enough to retire when you did. Well done! Good luck in your retirement.
    Apr 17 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DSandman,

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate your input.
    Apr 17 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    eacain,

Thanks for commenting. Good for you for learning about investing at such a young age. My daughter is your age and I wish she would be more interested in it. But whenever I try to talk to her about investing it goes in one ear and out the other. She would rather put $40 into a new piece of clothing rather than into a share of KO. As years go by you will be quite happy that you are starting now.

Good luck and keep reading SA. The education it offers is not only feee, but it is also priceless.
    Apr 17 03:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

Thanks for reading and for commenting.

I agree that just because a stock does not presently meet my buy criteria does not mean that I should sell it. That would create too many transactions and too much turnover of my portfolio. And although I do not have any selling criteria just because a stock's yield gets too low, if it does happen I think most likely that stock's FAST Graph will show me that it is over valued and should be trimmed back. In the case of MDT, even with its low yield, the FAST graph shows that it is not over valued. So no reason for me to sell it.

As time goes on, and I get closer to retirement, I will continue to re-evaluate my rules, especially if the dividend income is not keeping up with my desires. But for now I'm comfortable with a minimum yield of 3%.
    Apr 17 03:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scott,

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully I can answer your question.

I don't have a list of "want" companies. Every quarter, (1/1,4/1, 7/1, 10/1) I wait for the new CCC list to come out. I use that list to run my screen and see what companies make the final cut. Out of those passing companies I decide which one(s) I will add to my portfolio. The fact that I may have owned one of them before does not make it more likely that I will repurchase it. This is what I do for establishing new positions.

For existing positions I calculate the most recent PAAY for each, and reinvest my cash into the ten (or so) that have the highest PAAY. If in the future BA is one of those then I will add to the position. Same for WAG. But each quarter is a new clean slate. What I had done to the position in the past is not a consideration for what I will do in the present. So, just because BA falls back to "proper valuation" I do not automatically repurchase the shares back. I only do so if its valuation falls enough that it meets my PAAY criteria in comparison to all my other holdings.

I hope this helps.
    Apr 17 02:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chuck,

Thank you so much for this clarification.
    Apr 17 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dj,

I have access to them through my Optionsxpress account. When I pull up a stock quote there is a link to the S&P report. Most of the S&P reports have the quality rating, but not all. If there is no QR for any particular stock then I remove it from consideration. I believe other online brokers also give access to the S&P reports. Otherwise I don't know how to get access to them.
    Apr 17 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment