The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Most Undervalued And Overvalued Dividend Champions - August '15 [View article]
    For those who are interested I have calculated the average and the median PAAY for the 1yr and 5 yr time periods, for all the Dividend Champions.

1yr average = 3.08%
    1yr median = 2.61%
    5yr average = 0.00% (! How about that!)
    5yr median = -4.95%

So over-all, based on a one year time period, the Dividend Champions seem actually to be a little undervalued. Based on the five year period they are fairly valued.

Any thoughts?
    Aug 4, 2015. 07:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Sum.
    Aug 4, 2015. 07:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gfmn,

I couldn't agree more. Thank you for your comment.
    Aug 4, 2015. 07:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Diamond,

Yes, WBA is an example where PAAY might point out that a stock has become overvalued. Of course it is not the only way, it is just one way. I too own WBA and think it has gotten too high too fast. But it is still paying me a rising dividend so I will continue to hold it.
    Aug 4, 2015. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Aug 4, 2015. 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    OH! Now I understand what you meant by direct deposit, BlueOkie. Sorry for my confusion. I reinvest all my dividends, although I don't necessarily DRIP. I collect them and every quarter I reinvest them into stocks of my choosing, usually based in their PAAY.
    Aug 4, 2015. 05:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you very much Tax. I appreciate your comment and kind words.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Maybe. I love confirmation!
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Younger,

I'm not sure how to make a "heat-map" using my spreadsheet data. I will look into it and see what I can find out. What I can do is determine the median and mean PAAY for all the stocks. This might give some more valuable information. I'll post those here in the comment section later tonight.

I will be happy to give out the PAAY for any particular stock that someone is interested in. Again, I will let you know about T later tonight.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Nigel.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Biker,

I calculate them myself using historical data originally downloaded from Yahoo.com, and more recently compiled by me on a weekly basis.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    WDL,

I'd be glad to. When I started this project I downloaded onto a spreadsheet the weekly price data for each stock on the Dividend Champions list from Yahoo, as well as the dividend payouts. Since then I have updated the end of the week price for each stock, while also keeping track of any dividend increases. Using this data I keep a running taly of the end of the week yield for each stock, as well as the 1yr average and the 5 year average, and calculate the end of the week PAAY for each stock. I then compare them all to each other to come up with the tables you see in my articles.

I hope this helps.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Punjab. I submitted a correction.

I am long EMR and recently bought more based on its PAAY.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Stubarino,

Yes, I could add 10,15 and 20 year tables to the future articles. it would take a little more work, but not a huge amount. I would just need to add a few more columns to my spreadsheets. But I would be interested in hearing others opinions about whether or not they would want to see them, and how relevant the information would be. Dividend policies can change significantly over a 20 year period. So is a 20 year average hostorical yield useful information?

I honestly don't know and would like to hear others opinions.
    Aug 4, 2015. 03:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Blue,

I'm not sure what you mean by direct deposit a stock into your bank account, but what action you take would be based on what other analysis you do concerning any of these stocks. I, in fact, do use PAAY to decide which stocks I will reinvest in. How others use it, if they use it at all, is up to them.
    Aug 4, 2015. 02:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment