The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
    Swamp,

Thank you for your comment. Especially since it is your very first one! I appreciate your input. Thank you for contributing to the discussion.
    Feb 7 07:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Rational,

I have no argument with what you said. But even though we can say that BRK's book value would be lower, we can't say exactly how much lower. And we can't say how that book value would translate into it's stock price.
    Feb 7 07:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    horsesense.

Thank you. 1 out of 300+ isn't bad, right? lol
    Feb 7 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    madrem,

Please explain your statement about taxes.
    Feb 7 07:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Midhenry,

I think I'm sensing sarcasm again. I'm getting pretty good at that.
    Feb 7 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Dave,

"Now here is the real problem of folks that have to sell stocks to get income. You end up having to sell when the price is low if you need the money instead of being able to wait until the price is high. Taking that decision out of your hands will destroy overall returns real fast."

You are absolutely correct. Thank you for making that point.
    Feb 7 07:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Is Wrong About Dividends [View article]
    lets hope they continue to give dividends favorable treatment for many more decades.
    Feb 7 07:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Is Wrong About Dividends [View article]
    I consider principle to be the investment vehicles that you are invested in that are actively producing wealth for yourself. If I am using the word incorrectly I apologize. But that is how every other author I have read here on SA has used it when discussing their portfolio's principle.
    Feb 7 07:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "How'd I do?"

Not very well.
    Feb 7 07:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    stvrob,

The investor in question is in retirement. He NEEDS the income to live on. He must get it one way or another. If he receives a dividend then he doesn't have to sell any of his principle. So he can continue to let his investments work for him, while still being able to feed himself. If he continues to whittle away his principle by selling shares, then eventually he may run out of money.
    Feb 7 06:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Albertasunwapta,

Very well said! Thank you for your input.
    Feb 7 06:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ken,

Thank you! I have been trying to make that clear! Some still seem to believe that I am saying BRK, the company, should pay a dividend. I am not saying that. Thank you for understanding that point.
    Feb 7 06:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jacob,

How do you handle it when the stock price rises above your strike price? You will get called out and lose all that upside price appreciation.
    Feb 7 06:44 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Madrem,

Why would I be paying 25-30% tax on dividends?
    Feb 7 06:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    wwu,

Thanks for your comment. I think SA make articles Editor's Picks when they are published. Not based on how many clicks they have already received. I don't know how they make their decisions, but I am honored that they chose mine. I guess they saw some value in it, even if you did not.

If nothing else it led to a great discussion. Thank you all.
    Feb 7 04:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment