The Part-time Investor

• Why Yield On Cost Is Important [View article]
    Slick,

I completely agree.
    May 9 12:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Yield On Cost Is Important [View article]
    DGI,

My problem with YOC is that it tells you what has happened in the past. I'm more interested in what is happening now, and what will happen in the future.

Assume I bought a stock 10 years ago that had a 3% yield. For the first 5 years I owned it the DGR was 20%, and for the next three years the DGR was 8%. But over the past two years the DGR has fallen to 2% per year. And lets assume that the stock price kept up with the DGR so that the stock still yields 3%. My YOC on this stock would be about 9.8%, but now the dividend is only growing at 2% per year, not a DGR I am happy with. The 9.8% YOC is past news. It is not helping me now. I would much rather sell that stock and put the proceeds into something paying me the same 3% yield but still growing its dividend at a 6-10% rate.

It is what my stocks will do for me in the future that matters. Not what they did for me in the past. (appropriate capital gains and dividend taxes obviously will affect all decisions made)

Still, thank you for the article. A great discussion!
    May 9 12:08 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Benefits Of Being Patient [View article]
    DRI is still raising its dividend, so I'm still holding. Keep It Simple, right?
    May 8 08:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Benefits Of Being Patient [View article]
    6685071,

Well said. Thanks for your comment.
    May 7 09:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Benefits Of Being Patient [View article]
    Another great less Chowder. As I said, if a company freezes its dividend I will consider selling it (rather than automatically selling it). My decision will depend on the things you mentioned. I'll look at the specific situation and decide.
    May 7 07:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Benefits Of Being Patient [View article]
    LOL. Good for you Izz. I already own a bunch so I hope it goes straight up from here. But even if it doesn't we still have that juicy dividend coming in.
    May 7 07:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Mike,

I have an idea which of my stocks I'm most comfortable with, but I have no idea which will actually perform the best.
    May 7 07:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    I always breath a sigh of relief when Chowder agrees with me. lol
    May 7 07:15 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    I would not call that a correction. I would call that nearly the end of capitalism!

However, If such a horrible situation occurs I would assume that the companies I own would start cutting their dividends. As they do I would sell them. If they are not cutting their dividends then the world must not be in as bad a shape as a 70% "correction" would imply, and I would hold on for the inevitable recovery.
    May 7 03:41 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    I own 56 stocks. I have no idea which is my best one and which is my 56th best. Only time will tell me that. Over the past year and half Cracker barrel (CBRL) has been one of my best. Never in a million years would I have predicted that a little roadside restaurant chain would be my best performer when I first started my DGI portfolio.

If a stock meets my criteria it makes it into my portfolio. And once it is in my portfolio there are no favorites. I love all my children equally. I just come to love the ones who eventually perform better more equally than the others. lol
    May 7 02:39 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    I have no trouble believing BuyandHold. I don't know why you would.
    May 7 02:34 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Benefits Of Being Patient [View article]
    RAS,

I agree with you. I too have changed my criteria so that a dividend cut will cause me to CONSIDER selling, but not automatically do it. But perhaps if it does not begin increasing the dividend again after freezing it for one year I will sell it. A two year freeze is too long to wait.
    May 7 02:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Do You Manage Your 'Low Conviction' Positions? [View article]
    Bill,

Thanks for the report from "O". Great to hear!
    May 7 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing And The Benefits Of Being Patient [View article]
    LOL. I'm not buying yet IZZ. Just considering it. And I doubt the 20 or so shares I could afford wouldn't drive the market price. lol
    May 7 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be An Arrogant Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Billinsd,

A 20% correction will allow me to buy my DGI stocks on sale. I'm not saying I want a 20% correction, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
    May 7 09:55 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment