The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Utility Investing For Dividend Growth Investors: A Prospective Study [View article]
    zok,

I never have considered the telecoms to be utilities, but I can understand why someone would. I may look into this issue again and re-evaluate. I don't have VZ or T because their DGR has been so low. But there may be a place for them if I consider them to be part of my utility ETF.

Thanks for the idea.
    Sep 15 08:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    max,

Great job! Glad that stock worked so well for you. Just goes to show what "boring" utilities can do.
    Sep 15 08:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Smitty,

Thank you so much! What a nice thing to say. As long as I keep getting such nice feedback I'll keep writing articles.

To answer your question, for this specific study I did not sell the stock if it cut its dividend. I just held them from beginning to end as long as the company was still in existence. In my real life portfolio, however, I would sell on a dividend cut because I would rather have that money in a stock that is raising its dividend.
    Sep 15 08:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    User,

I know the book very well. Read it many years ago. Lots of terrific information in it. I consider it a must read for every investor.

Not surprising that Consumer staples did well. They give a good combination of dividend yield and earnings growth. And it's nice to see that my little study agrees so well with such a well respected book.
    Sep 15 08:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DW,

Thanks for your comment. Nothing stodgy about these kind of returns. Like you, As i get closer it will give me comfort to know that I can use utilities to give me a combination of safety and total return.
    Sep 15 08:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pharma,

Thanks for that data! i appreciate you contributing that. Shows that if you pick and choose the "best" utilities you can improve your results.
    Sep 15 08:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SDS,

Thanks for the comment. Always good to hear from you.

I agree that utilities are very valuable because they are extremely safe. What this study shows is that with the yield and the reinvestment you can also get returns that are just as good as the rest of the market, while having much less volatility.
    Sep 15 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Babe,

Sounds like you have a good plan, but I have two questions. How will you know when rates are permanently moving up? What level would make you adjust your positions?

What made you decide to sell your growth stocks now? Why not earlier? Why not wait a little longer?

You can go wrong taking profits if you miss out on what would have been an even larger gain, and if the money you take in profits is not put to good use. Sometimes it's better to just keep your money it what is already working, especially if it is paying you a good dividend.
    Sep 15 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Portfolio Business Plan [View article]
    I submitted a correction to SA. Hopefully that mistake will be fixed soon.
    Sep 15 08:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Portfolio Business Plan [View article]
    emac,

Thank you for that correction! I don't know what I was thinking. Valueline rating of 1 or 2 for safety everybody, not 4 or 5!

Wow. what a screw up.
    Sep 15 06:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Long Run,

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it.
    Sep 15 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    billinsd,

Thanks for reading and thanks for the comments. Nice group of utilities! I'm sure you're doing well with them.
    Sep 15 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

Thanks for reading and for commenting. It's always nice to hear from you.

REIT ETF, utility ETF. What's next? I'll have to see what I can come up with. Any suggestions?
    Sep 15 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot,

Thanks for reading and thanks for your comment.
    Sep 15 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DS,

Thanks for your comment and your kind words.

I don't try to predict which companies will be the winners in the future, because I know I'll be wrong. I simply look at which have produced good dividend growth in the past, and assume that will continue into the future. if it doesn't I'll get rid of that company. I let the dividend guide me. I'm simply not smart enough to figure out how alternative energy will affect my investments.

Having said that, I believe alternative energy will be the huge industry of the future and anybody who does know who the winners will be can get very rich by investing in them.
    Sep 15 10:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment