The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Portfolio: 1st Quarter 2015 Update [View article]
    I watch Cramer from time to time for the entertainment factor. He is fun to watch. But I would never make an investment decision based on anything he says.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

Well said.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    B&H,

I couldn't agree more, although my specific buying technique is somewhat different than yours. I find it humorous that Cramer, who tells you to buy a stock one day, only to tell you to sell it the next, also tells you that you must spend an hour a week studying that stock. Crazy!

I put my time into creating my criteria. This took many weeks and months (and is a continuing process). But now that the criteria are set, actually carrying them out takes almost no time at all. I think that is how it should be.

Your writings have been a big influence on me. Thank you for all you have taught me.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:52 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

Thanks, as always, for your comment.

Setting up different benchmarks for different segments of my portfolio? Doesn't seem very KISS-like to me. :-)
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    ventura,

Many people don't. That is their choice. And they seem to be doing quite well without them. Just because I choose to use benchmarks and they don't doesn't make them fools. Just makes them different.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    GeorgeH,

Thanks for your question.

"I do wonder, however, why you limit yourself to only selling a position if it cuts its dividend? I believe that Price earnings ratios should guide investment decisions. When stocks outrun reasoned valuation, profits should be taken.(Guiding should be also considered)"

Because it's simple. I've read enough other successful authors (such as Chowder and BuyandHold2012) who have taught me to let my winners run. If they are successful, why sell them? Yes, I'm sure that someone could try to sell "over valued" stocks and use that money to buy "under valued" stocks, and could possibly improve their returns this way. But I'm not looking to maximize my RETURNS. I'm looking to maximize my SIMPLICTY, while still maintaining acceptable (possibly even above average) returns.

WBA has done really well for me. I would hate to sell it, only to watch it continue to perform well, while the stock that I put that money into lags behind. As long as a stock such as WBA continues to raise its dividend, year after year, I will continue to hold it, no matter how "over valued" it may get.

Of course as time goes on, I reserve the right to change this aspect of my method.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:43 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    beet,

Thank you so much!!! I'm very happy you like my articles.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Maybe,

Thank you so much!!!! Gravity, Germs, Evolution, and KISS?? I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!!! LOL.

I think it will take more than two years to really show that KISS can work. It should at least go through one real correction. But so far it seems to be working well, and I have no reason to believe it will fail in the future.

Thanks, as always, for reading.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Student,

You are correct, I would not have $750,000 to invest during the next correction. But I'll have probably about $80,000 to $90,000 per year, and more as time goes on (due to my 401K contributions and dividends). So I will enjoy finding many bargains to put that money into.

Thanks for your comment.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mkemac,

I don't know about doubling down, but I will certainly continue to invest and reinvest through any and all future corrections.

Thanks for commenting.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PACKER,

Thank you so much! I am humbled by your comments. It lets me know that my efforts at writing these updates is worth it. I just hope more young people like yourself can learn something from them. :-)

As you know I like to keep things simple. Worrying about different tax implications is too complicated for me. All my funds are in tax deferred accounts, so it's nothing I will have to worry about until I retire. And at that point I'll let my accountant deal with the taxes. I actually have shown him the K-1 forms I've received, and so far he has told me I have nothing to worry about.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    tross,

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scott,

Thanks for your questions. To be honest I have not set a specific goal for my retirement income. I simply made projections of where I am now, and where I would likely be 15 years from now if I used different yield cut offs. The projections showed me that by moving to a higher yield I would increase my eventual income. So that is what I did, just based on the concept that more income is better. :-)

Now that you have asked the question I will start to consider whether or not I should have a specific goal. I'll get back to you as to what I decide.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies,

Thank you for your comment.

I have been using these criteria for two years, although some of the stocks I own were bought before that, and are still in my portfolio because they have continued to raise their dividends.

I don't own AAPL or V because, as you suspected, they do not meet my criteria. In both cases their yields are not high enough. I may start to look at some lower yielding stocks, if they meet all my other criteria, but they would have to have a much larger DGR for me to buy them. I'm at the age where, although I still have time for dividend growth to work its magic, I'm leaning more and more on actual yield.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    gfmn,

Thank you very much.

When I make my next investments, if they are new positions, they will be in whatever stocks my screening criteria lead me to. I never predict. My screen will lead the way. If instead I reinvest in the stocks I already own then I'm sure much of it will go into my energy stocks, as well as others such as QCOM.

Stay tuned for my next update to see what happens.
    Apr 13, 2015. 07:07 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment