The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
    as,

Thanks for all that info! That was a terrific summary of SDY and a good demonstration of why I don't own it.
    Oct 7 04:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bob,

I would never make that assumption after only one year. In fact if we had 5 years of an up market, and I am underperforming, I still wouldn't assume I am not doing DGI very well. It us during down market thats I expect DGI to shine, so if we have a year or two of a correction, and during those years my portfolio does poorly compared to "the market", only then I will finally decide that I am doing a poor job.

And you are absolutely correct about today. my portfolio is down 0.25% less than the S&P is down. Exactly as I would expect.
    Oct 7 04:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Portfolio: 3rd Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    "I suppose my beef is more with those who decide to switch strategies as opposed to stepping up and saying I can do a better job of applying the strategy I chose to begin with"

That is exactly right Chowder. I completely believe that DGI is the best strategy for me, and that It will beat the market over the next 20-30 years. What I want to make sure is that I am implementing DGI well enough to achieve those goals. If I under perform the S&P I will not switch to some other investing method. I will simply try to do a better job of carrying out DGI.
    Oct 7 04:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowder,

Like you I believe that my DGI portfolio WILL outperform the S&P or SDY over the long term. But the only way to know that I have is to actually follow that benchmark. I report the benchmark in my updates to show that I am, in fact, beating them. And if I find that I am not beating them then it probably means, not that DGI is not better, but that I am not doing DGI very well. And if that is not the case then I need to change something.
    Oct 7 12:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

We can use this comment section for anything anybody likes. Even if it is healing praise on you. :-)
    Oct 7 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Bob,

And as always thanks for reading and commenting.

Each of us can be better investors in one way or another, so I have to be open to new ideas. No other way for me to learn. It's an on going process, and this was just another step.
    Oct 7 11:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Maybenot,

I appreciate you reading and commenting. It's the income that maters, so it looks like so far I'm doing ok.

Thanks for stopping by.
    Oct 7 11:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rob and/or Cindy,

I agree with you. it is the concepts Mike writes about that are so helpful. We are not looking for stock tips. We are looking for ways to make ourselves better investors. Mike does that.
    Oct 7 11:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

I know you are not a financial advisor. If you were I probably wouldn't listen to a word you said. LOL. But I love your articles and I read every one you write. (based on the number of comments you get so does everybody else) And your last one is one of my favorite articles ever! It really affected my thinking. It made me realize I could make some mistakes and still be OK. What could help me SWAN better than that!!!

No more over thinking things, and trying to decide whether or not to sell. I'll just let the dividend announcement make the decision for me. K.I.S.S., right? RIGHT! And if I make a mistake my other stocks will pull me through.

Thanks for helping me so much. Keep those articles coming. I still have a lot to learn.
    Oct 7 11:13 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Portfolio: 3rd Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    That's right DEEP. With K.I.S.S. it's very easy to follow a large number of stocks because all I look for is the dividend announcements. And the only thing I will actually act on is a dividend cut. So very few commissions.

Thanks for the comment.
    Oct 7 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    5981831,

Most of my investments are in a Univest account set up with my group practice. When we moved to them we negotiated a 3 cent per share commission for all stock transaction. But any transaction I make in my optionsxpress accounts cost me $8.95 per transactions. So the commissions vary depending on where my transactions occur.

In this case NUS and the additional PTY shares were bought in the Univest account, at .03 per share commission, and the WPC was split up amongst two optionsxpress accounts.
    Oct 7 10:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Portfolio: 3rd Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    Thanks Rob and/or Cindy. I totally agree with you, about the yield and the ability to SWAN. My yield is much higher than an ETF like SDY. And by holding 60 stocks I don't have to be too concerned about a dividend cut in any one of them.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the support.
    Oct 7 10:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Shax,

Thanks for the comment.

I don't have to follow the developments of my companies (IMHO). All I have to follow is the dividend announcements. I believe that will tell me all I need to know.

And I also believe that the quality of the stocks I have chosen is far better then what is in SDY or any other dividend ETF. I have already been outperforming SDY (with only 1-2 hours of work each quarter), and I believe I will continue to do so in the future. But if I do not, since I do follow it as one of my benchmarks, I will know it and I can make changes accordingly.
    Oct 7 10:22 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My K.I.S.S. Dividend Portfolio: 3rd Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    Thanks Bill! And keep the comments coming too.
    Oct 7 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment