The Part-time Investor

View The Part-time Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • How To Be Sure You Won't End Up Eating Cat Food In Your Retirement [View article]
    thanks Smarty!
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Smarty,

yes, thank you ScottU for leading me in the right direction. In my future portfolio updates I will include a chart of my projected dividend income and my actuall dividend income to show how I am progressing. This will allow me to make changes if necessary.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Scott,

But I bet your dividend growth does. :-)
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Chowder,

Thanks for your comment. I know inflation will affect my spending power in the future, but I see no way to change my investment plan to try to account for future inflation. And anyway, much of my spending is fixed and aunnaffected by inflation (mortgages, school loans, etc.) I know my dividend growth will out-pace inflation. Unless someone shows knows of a golden ticket to supper-charge my returns that will have to be good enough for me.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    splat,

I never even took finance. So I have no idea. lol
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    FD,

Thanks for the comment.

You are partially correct. My mortgages will not be affected by inflation, nor will the education loans. Those expenses (once I have finished taking out the loans) will be fixed.

I will not be using the 4% rule. That rule is based on portfolio value. As my last scenario showed, the one based solely on dividend income, I plan on having $300K in dividend income. They it independant of whatever my portfolio value is, so the 4% rule will not apply. But I could also increase my yield up to 5 or even 6% to create more income if I need to. This is without selling any principle. So the 4% rule is not something I will be following.

Finally, inflation will be what it will be. I can't force my portfolio to produce more, as with your "back of the napkin" calculations, without taking on an unnaceptable amount of risk. I have to stick with reasonable expectations for dividend growth and make my plans accordingly.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    fast Track,

Thanks for your comment and you link. I'll take a look at your article later today.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    cereeves87,

I completely agree with you, and I am trying. I have been paying more than I have to each month on our mortgages, and I'm hoping that this will get them paid off a few years earlier, maybe even by the time I retire. Anybody know a website where I can find a calculation how quickly my mortgage will be paid off based on the extra principle I pay each month? That would help me plan my future.I would like to get the school loans paid off earler as well, but my kids aren't even out of college yet, so they are still accumulating. Once they are done I'll see what kind of payment I can afford each month.

As crazy as it may seem, even with my income, I can't seem to find much extra each month to pay off any more debts. I have found that as one's income goes up so does their expenses. Bigger homes, private colleges, etc..... After paying the credit card bill each month there is little left over to put into savings, let alone pay off debt. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anybody to feel sorry for me. I am a lucky man. But even knowing that we need to save more I can't seem to get our monthly spending any lower. Much of that is because of how we choose to live, including our summer home. Less saving and more debt is the price we have to pay for having it. But I still wish we could at least get our credit card bill lower each month. If I ever figure out how paying off more debt will be one of the first things I'll try to do.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:42 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Frrizzo,

You can pick whichever you like. I won't fight you for either.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Geek,

I'd rather not have to eat either, unless it's the food my dogs eat. We cook them chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, eggs, toast, etc. They often eat better than I do.

Thanks for commenting.
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Robyn. It's one of the best things about the SA community, and one of the main reasons I write articles. The feedback, comments and suggestions I get from people who read my articles has been invaluable to my education.

Thank you all!
    Jun 30, 2015. 12:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Most Undervalued And Overvalued Dividend Champions [View article]
    gstanleyjr,

I am simply presenting a snap shot in time of a group of stocks which may be undervalued or overvalued based on their historic yield. Since this is not a portfolio of stocks which have been purchased there is no purchase price to be considered.

However, you are correct that the purchase price is crucial to success, and that is why a list of undervalued stocks might be valuable.
    Jun 27, 2015. 06:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Happy Birthday! My Dividend Growth Portfolio's 7th Birthday Report [View article]
    Thanks Dogg
    Jun 19, 2015. 02:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8% Raise For The Dividend Growth 50 [View article]
    Thanks for the update Mike.
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Can someone confirm how much of South32 I should have received? I have 210 shares of BLL and I received 84 shares of South32.
    Jun 18, 2015. 08:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment