The Patient Investor

View The Patient Investor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is Apple Ready to Explode or Implode? [View article]
    MMI is using the Android operating system - a commodity type environment cheap Clones of the Xoom will soon be available. These clones will dominate the Android market while Apple has its own operating system and only Android and maybe Microsoft competition - no direct clones.

Apples apps work on most of its line of mobile products while I have read that many of the Android apps don't work on all the android products. At the present time there are many more apps available for Apple than the Android mobile products.
    Mar 21, 2011. 10:20 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Canadian Oil and Gas Stocks to Invest In [View article]
    The major problem with the Bakken and other oil shale plays is the decline curve of the production. No one is certain that reserves will hold as predicted. There are large declines the first three years then production is suppose to level off and they are suppose to produce for 20 to 25 years at the reduced level, but there is no actual production yet over a long period of time.

The oil is also waxy in the Bakken and some geologists think it will clog up the pores in the rock and stop producing after 7 to 10 years and the wells will just be natural gas wells after that period of time.
    Mar 21, 2011. 10:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Apple Ready to Explode or Implode? [View article]
    First of all thank you very much for your comments. You really get it and maybe explained it a little better than I did in my article.

The thing that gets me is that Apple has been around from the beginning of the industry. In the fall of 1978 I started my CPA firm and had to chose between Apple and Radio Shack Computers. I picked Radio Shack because it had been around for decades, and Apple was new. It worked for me because of Microsoft and the business uses they developed. Microsoft went on to Develop the IBM PC software which we moved to.

But both of these companies Radio Shack and IBM couldn't survive in the PC business and make the type of money they wanted. Yet Apple is one of the most profitable companies around because they did what IBM had done for years; control both their software and hardware. Dell and HP are having a hard time as are all the other major companies including Microsoft. The only exception is Google but they aren't making any money from software or hardware just search.

Apple 33 years later owns the business right now and if it weren't for Google and Android - Apple would be unbelievable. Amazingly, Clem Chambers thinks it's a Fad and won't last and the stock is over priced. I just see them getting stronger and stronger, at some point their growth rate will decline and they will stop growing, but I don't see it for quite a few years. But maybe I am nuts and don't understand this company and market.
    Mar 16, 2011. 06:19 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Canadian Oil and Gas Stocks to Invest In [View article]
    You are right I couldn't find anything that stated 15 - 18 only 13 -15 in all of their information.
    Mar 15, 2011. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Canadian Oil and Gas Stocks to Invest In [View article]
    I looked up the latest financial statements and I wouldn't invest in the company.
    Mar 10, 2011. 09:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Canadian Oil and Gas Stocks to Invest In [View article]
    I will go back and confirm this. I thought the latest one on their website said 15 - 18 and the earlier one is 13 - 15. I may have picked this up somewhere else. Thanks for the comment.
    Mar 9, 2011. 11:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Oil Does the U.S. Have in the Ground - What Does It Mean for Investors? [View article]
    Maybe I did not phrase the sentence properly, what I was trying to convey to the reader was that there were no pools oil as in conventional oil drilling. And further that the oil was contained throughout the shale rock or bed of shale within the area that contains oil.
    Thank you for your comments.
    Mar 9, 2011. 05:11 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Making Money in Canadian Oil and Gold Mining Stocks [View article]
    Most of the time the quote on Schwab and what I wind up trading at is 1/2 cent to 1 cent difference in price from the bid if I am dealing in 1000 share lots using a market order. On some thinly traded issues it has been 3 to 5 cents . When I have put in limit orders I have missed the stock when the price has moved up and then had to buy the stock for 5 up to 25 cent more so I usually just buy the stuff at market but a lot depends on what the stock is doing price wise and what the spread is.
    It was my understanding that both the TSX venture and the TSX were both exchanges only difference being size and stock price of the company. They are separate exchanges under the same organization.
    If you click on the blue "good website" at the bottom of the fourth paragraph it will give you more information on how to trade in Canada.
    If you have any remaining questions please post another comment.
    Mar 7, 2011. 06:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I want thank everyone for their comments. I read them with great interest.
    Mar 5, 2011. 11:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you very much for you comments regarding XTO. I new they were one of the leading big independent oil companies. But I wasn't aware of all their capabilities that you mentioned or the land positions.

I wrote this article for two reasons the first is to get the oil industry into high gear in drilling oil bearing land which they are doing and try to help the balance of payment deficit which this will do. The big problem as I see it is that a lot of the prime land is held by smaller operators that don't have the resources to develop it in timely manner and the majors may be developing it but at a very slow rate which I think will take 10 to 15 years according to my projections.

Why don't they get a group of companies to come out through an Industry group and pledge to Produce 2 or 3 million additional barrels a month in 3 to 5 years to move towards US energy independence. From what I can see they have the oil resource in the bakken to produce at least 30 to 40 percent of this there. I understand why the secrecy but they don't have to disclose all the information. Just that they feel they have the resource base to accomplish this with in the Continental US not including off shore areas. The government isn't or can't do this so why not industry.

This could be accomplished through joint ventures farm ins and or financing, maybe some purchases of assets by the bigger companies. It would certainly help the industry's public image. The speculators and investors may drive up the price of oil like 2008 and then the crash of 2009 all over again if someone doesn't try something. These big oil companies have rigs or can get them from other countries to accomplish this if the rigs aren't available in the US.
    Mar 5, 2011. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I understood that Exxon purchased XTO but is Exxon going to move 15 to 25 rigs or more into the Bakken and really develop the Bakken or is this just a part of the company that came along with the Gas assets. The Goldman Sachs Energy conference transcript mentioned XTO gas shales which they had less acreage than the Bakken but nothing on the Bakken. They either don't want to talk about for competitive reasons or they aren't interested. Don't know which is the case. If I owned that asset it would be front and center unless something was wrong with it. I don't see them putting a priority on the Bakken but maybe they have and I missed it. Anyway I appreciate the comments and I may not be giving XOM the credit they deserve.
    Mar 5, 2011. 03:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Based on my response to this article you may want to write a book on the economics of oil horizontal drilling and fracing, and compare it to mining open pit heap leaching and the effect it had on the gold and copper mining. You are right it isn't just using fracing and horizontal drilling but the interaction of the two with other technology if you look at the presentation links to BEXP,PBKEF.PK, and CSCTF.PK in the article you will understand what I trying to explain. Thanks for the comments this what I wanted to happen.
    Mar 5, 2011. 02:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment I knew the sun was shrinking but not at that fast a rate. At least the important things in this world the wings and beer are still available at a reasonable cost.
    Mar 5, 2011. 02:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I am following a solar company Nanosolar, a private company, they are using a regular printing machine with special ink to make solar panels. Many big names in silacon valley have finaniced it. They may be able to come close to producing panels that can compete with oil prices at a little higher level. They also automated the production of the panels themselves but I think maybe having financial problems brought in new management last year. Here is a link www.nanosolar.com/comp... .

I have invested in a china solar company jaso around $7 - PE of 4.4 so far not making any money but earnings were great last quarter. I plan to do an article or two on solar. I think it will only be a small part of our energy production for quite a while but who knows for sure with what is happing in middle east. Thank you for the interesting comments
    Mar 5, 2011. 02:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I saw someone else answered your question, by my analysis it would be at least 10 to 15 years based on number of rigs available now and assuming the alternative energy picks up all the growth in energy demand in the future through hybrids and electric cars - conversion to Natural Gas. The 1500 horse power rigs that are used for deeper plays such as the Bakken are in short supply from what I understand the smaller 1000 horse power rigs that SandRidge is using in their drilling are readily available. In most the oil industry uses a lot of water but usually only 1% to at most 10% of available water but in a few areas it could be higher. Thanks for your comments.
    Mar 5, 2011. 01:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment