The PolyCapitalist

View The PolyCapitalist's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Upsetting The Apple-Cart: Google Just Torpedoed The iPhone's Profit Margins [View article]
    For those keeping score:

Jan 13 09:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I rest my case:

Dec 15 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Apparently TMobile will be rolling out LTE on band 4 in the U.S.

Nov 24 05:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well well, it turns out the Nexus 4 sort of has LTE 4G after all:

Nov 23 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "Take your time before publishing. Check your facts."

Actually, you need to check your facts.

Please see my response above about how actually you need to check your facts as you mistakenly think Apple sells unlocked iPhones for only $650 when their base model goes for $699.

The Amazon prices I cite are relevant and were referenced in the article because the iPhone 5's availability was averaging well over two weeks at the time this article was published (as of yesterday it's down to two weeks). So prior to yesterday if wanted to buy an iPhone from a reputable retailer like Amazon and have it now then you're likely looking at $850+.
    Nov 23 02:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "The unsubsidized price of an iP 5 is widely known to be $650 in the US."

sorry pk de cville, but it is you who needs to check your facts.

the *starting* unlocked price on the Apple Store is actually $699, not $650 as you claim.

Nov 23 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "The vast majority of smartphone are not purchased unlocked"

Right, but the key point if you're an investor interested in looking ahead rather than into the past is that smartphones are not *currently* purchased unlocked. And the reason for that is because high-end unlocked smartphones have historically cost $500-$800+.

But not any more.

As I argue in my article it's the Nexus 4's $299 *unlocked* price which makes it so revolutionary. This insanely low price represents a huge change from the days when a consumer was presented with the prospect of purchasing an unlocked smartphone that costs $800 vs. today when a consumer can choose between the unlocked Nexus 4 at $299 vs. the iPhone 5 (on contract) for only $100 less.

It may take some time but consumers do tend to figure out big pricing and value differences. Customers will start moving towards incredible value plays like the Nexus 4 unless Apple compromises its high margins and profits. And that is what I would be concerned about if I owned Apple's stock.
    Nov 23 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dear LukeB,

It sounds like you're either not very familiar with the game of baseball and or need to check your math.

If you divide Apple's big stock price run, which really took off around 2004-5, into baseball innings, then based on how Apple's stock has performed of late my timing call of Apple's run being in the 'late innings' has proven spot on.

I personally don't have a problem with short-term trading. But as I note in my profile I focus on medium to longer-term investment horizon, and what was clear to me in late-2010 and has been proven out of late, was that the majority of Apple's best stock return years were behind it.
    Nov 23 04:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Here's an interesting read from an Apple engineer on the shifting balance of power between Google and Apple, and he mentions how one of his friends switched from iOS to Android

As he states at the top "Google is getting better at design faster than Apple is getting better at web services."
    Nov 22 10:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, I know LeBron got paid. However, and I don't know LeBron personally, but what I do know is that celebrities that are as well off as LeBron typically won't cut a deal on something as integral to their day-to-day lifestyle as their phone unless it also meets their needs.

Put yourself in LeBron's shoes for a moment and imagine that you absolutely loved the iPhone as much as many of the commenters on this article. Would you do a $____ deal to switch to the Galaxy Note II? Maybe. But maybe (and probably) not because you just don't need the money enough to deal with the hassle of using a smartphone that you wouldn't otherwise want to use.
    Nov 21 05:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "they cannot make enough iphones to satisfy the demand."

not any more.

hot off the press:

Nov 21 05:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    It's a single data point to support the idea that Android isn't just for the 99%, but can also meet the needs of 1%ers.
    Nov 21 05:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Looks like LeBron James is enjoying his Android smartphone:

Nov 21 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    " I have YET to meet an iPhone owner who can't wait to switch over to an Android system"

You and I haven't met but I fit that description, as do plenty of people I know.

Do you honestly believe that 0% of Android's market share gains have come from former iPhone owners?
    Nov 21 02:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    "the iPhone 4S at $99 with contract has a better price then the Nexus 4".

Unfortunately for you it sounds like you are not one of the savvy customers I refer to in my article who shrewdly buys their smartphone unlocked and off contract.

As I state in the article, depending on your carrier you can often save over $1,000 in total lifecycle expense by buying your smartphone off contract.
    Nov 21 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment