The Specialist

View The Specialist's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Update: BP's Final (Estimated) Tally For Fourth Quarter Business Economic Losses [View article]
    Average payment eligibility is triple that $60,000 or $180,000. So you're up to $1.8 billion right there.

There are 70,000 additional claims yet to be fully processed. $12.6 billion potential on top of the $1.8 billion is $14.4 billion.

Taken alone, not the end of the world. Combined with other fines and low oil? It's going to leave a mark.
    Jan 2, 2015. 10:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    $0.20 for the Q4

Multitudes higher Q1 onward.
    Dec 31, 2014. 11:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 2015 Herbalife Forecast: Not Everyone's Gonna Make It To The Pope's Seat [View article]
    Matt,

Actually in North America seasonality is apparent with the first half of each year stronger than the second half of the year especially Q2. See my chart in this article: http://seekingalpha.co...

Regards,

TS
    Dec 30, 2014. 12:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Forget Buying Old Dominion Freight Line Because Of Cheap Fuel [View article]
    I completely agree with everything you're saying. I just think JBHT has a better chance of beating analyst EPS estimates for Q4 compared to ODFL's chances. One could be a trucking company and the other one could make and sell calculators. It doesn't really matter. One sees an immediate material benefit from cheap fuel and the other doesn't. However, I agree that both will do well regardless simply from increased demand and less price sensitivity from customers.
    Dec 29, 2014. 04:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Sell Revolution Lighting Technologies [View article]
    Are you aware that those sales increases are mostly from acquisitions?
    Dec 29, 2014. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Sell Revolution Lighting Technologies [View article]
    Are you aware that those sales increases are mostly from acquisitions?
    Dec 29, 2014. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Sell Revolution Lighting Technologies [View article]
    Are you aware that those sales increases are mostly from acquisitions?
    Dec 29, 2014. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Sell Revolution Lighting Technologies [View article]
    Are you aware that those sales increases are mostly from acquisitions?
    Dec 29, 2014. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dry Shipping: Rates Are At Or Near Bottom But I Still Say Avoid [View article]

normally that's updated each business day around 8:30 to 9am.

there are pay websites where you can get far better, more detailed info
    Dec 29, 2014. 02:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Bad News For BP's Business Economic Loss Settlement [View article]
    Maybe it's time to consider that since almost all of the trial judges, appellate judges, legal analysts, and the Supreme Court all agree that maybe, just maybe, angry BP and its shareholders, the most biased of anybody, are the ones who got it all wrong and the legal system worked EXACTLY how it is supposed to work and worked well?

BP is the one who tried to manipulate the system with the most ridiculous of tactics, and its shareholders were fooled into thinking BP could drag this on for 20 years like XOM and get way with stiffing the very people it harmed. Nice try, but BP failed. The legal system crushed all of BP's attempts that began in early 2013 and ended in late 2014 -- under 2 years instead of 20. I applaud the legal system for successfully disinfecting the cockroaches who tried to pollute it for 20 years like the XOM lawyers did.

Case closed. The American people win. Except for the 11 dead men and all of the now bankrupt businesses that thrived for decades and even through the 2008 financial disaster up until April 2010 only to fall thanks to BP.
    Dec 28, 2014. 10:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment

I'm not familiar with that industry so I don't think I could offer anything to write about it. If and when I get up to speed I'll definitely write something. That could be a project for me in the future. Do you see an opportunity long or short there?

Thanks,

TS
    Dec 28, 2014. 12:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The ships will still be around though. If a restaurant chain closes its doors, there is less industry supply. When a dry shipping company closes its doors, the ships are still around and for easy sale.
    Dec 28, 2014. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Bad News For BP's Business Economic Loss Settlement [View article]
    Maybe so. I, as well as other attorneys across the country, have been absolutely stunned by the almost blatant malpractice going on. It's almost as bad in terms of preparation as BP was with the Deepwater Horizon rig!

I am left only to speculate why -- was it the lawyers or is it BP management's insistence? Or is there another firm giving BP terrible advice?

I don't know. Maybe it isn't the lawyers but somebody somewhere is goofing up royally. In the end it is up to BP to make its own decisions regardless of bad advice it may have received and/or decisions it made internally. In the end, you're right -- BP calls the shots. Lawyers may or may not encourage BP to make bad moves, but again in the end you are correct. At the very least BP management should have said enough is enough, we're tired of getting laughed out of court every time let's just shut up, pay, and get it behind us.

BP management continues to fight battles it cannot win. Oh well.
    Dec 27, 2014. 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Bad News For BP's Business Economic Loss Settlement [View article]
    While I agree that BP calls the shots in theory, in practice I disagree. The professional, trusted lawyers give BP advice on what to do. Sure, BP can either accept or decline that advice, but generally I imagine BP accepts it. Lawyers often have different goals than their clients and their interests aren't aligned with each other. They are salesmen. They sell services. They are very good at what they do.
    Dec 27, 2014. 01:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Bad News For BP's Business Economic Loss Settlement [View article]
    Changing administrators this late in the game honestly is rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I doubt another administrator would make much of a difference if any at all, and I doubt BP will even win its appeal.

I think it's BP's lawyers scoring another paycheck. I can't think of another motivator.
    Dec 26, 2014. 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment