Theodore Cohen

View Theodore Cohen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    Kyle,

I don't have direct knowledge of Vical's intent, but their public comments on electroporation appear pretty straightforward. I am aware that Vical explored various electoporation devices in the past, but abandoned them a couple of years ago because they worked no better than the company's own Vaxfectin adjuvant. Their conclusions, which seemed to put a definitive end to Vical's electroporation research, were presented at the DNA Vaccines conference in 2011 and summarized in the following press release:

So, the lack of efficient DNA vaccine delivery appears to be a myth perpetuated by the electroporation companies. It's not that electroporation doesn't work. It's just that electroporation is cumbersome, expensive, uncomfortable for the patient, and unnecessary if the vaccine is properly dosed and properly formulated. After all, the most advanced DNA vaccine to date - the only one to reach Phase 3 - is the Vical/Astellas CMV vaccine ASP0113, which seems to work fine without electroporation.

Hope that's helpful,

Sep 16 06:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dendreon's Provenge: A Major Focus At The European Cancer Congress 2013 [View article]
    Hi, Adam. And thanks for the Tweets (you and Brad). As they say, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

Yeah, repositioning my resources...a definite BUY signal on Dendreon. BTW, is Brad still sore at me because of the loss he took on his one share?

Be well. Happy New Year to you and the family.

Sep 16 06:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Excellent question.

No, I think they have a management team that is up to the job. But they have a lot of headwinds, not the least of which is the restricted label. And they need to move quickly to reduce the cost of goods sold and the cash burn. Being up against the JNJ marketing machine doesn't help.

Be well.

Sep 16 05:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tax considerations and the desire to reposition resources elsewhere. I have been adding all summer to positions in GILD and REGN.

Sep 16 04:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Don't assume anything, Wheaton.
    Sep 16 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I sold my few remaining shares to use the tax loss against gains in other biotech stocks that have performed better this year (e.g., CELG).

Sep 16 10:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks. It's an interesting confluence of events...this conference and the possible release of information on EU approval (which could occur at any time).

Sep 16 09:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    Thanks, RP...but not, I haven't been following that sector, nor that issue. Sorry.

Sep 16 09:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    There is no denying it will be a positive.

Sep 16 07:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    Hi, RP...

Thanks for starting my day off on a positive note.

Yes, it's interesting to see how things play out today in investors' minds...on anyone's mind, for that matter. Very little willingness on most people's part to take responsibility for their actions. In the military, we used to hear "My wife, my kid, my dog." (You may or may not remember that phrase, as well.)

The failure of the AV-7 trial was truly startling, especially given some of the responder results we saw from the Phase 2 study (some data from which I have posted on several Internet fora).

Frankly, over the years, I have traded in an out of VICL based on technical analysis, always making money. Now, I have a loss in the shares I'm holding. But I am holding, because I believe their CMV treatment and herpes vaccine hold promise.

I wish you well. And again, thanks for starting the morning off on a positive note.

Sep 16 07:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    That is outstanding! Few, indeed, are those who would take such actions. (And I do apologize to you, personally...you are one in a million!)

My one attempt to effect change on the BOD of a company met with utter failure I proposed a candidate (which was quite a lengthy process and required the submission of considerable data and information, both on the candidate and me). Alas, he was rejected. Yet, I had to try, just as you did.

To thine own self be true.

Bravo!!!

Sep 13 03:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    I'm not against complaining, per se...it demonstrates that a person recognizes something may be out of whack. What's irritating is that few people act on their convictions. Most are just content to wring their hands and commiserate with others, ad infinitum, ad nauseum. (;>)

Thanks for stopping by.

Sep 13 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    I'm not here to defend VJ or the CEO of any other company. If you have no confidence in the management of VICL, then do something...write the chairman of the board of directors and demand VJ's ouster...write all of the members of the board of directors, demanding the same. Write the major funds holding this company's stock and ask what they are going to do to protect their interests. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of handwringing here and on other venues, and the lack of action by complaining parties.

When you have to shoot...shoot! Don't talk!

Sep 13 08:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    I'm sure you've done the research, Bobby. Please share with us.

Sep 12 04:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vical's Herpes Vaccine: An Update [View article]
    For those interested in the proof-of-concept studies, here are the papers:

Vaxfectin-adjuvanted plasmid DNA vaccine improves protection and immunogenicity in a murine model of genital herpes infection

A Vaxfectin(®)-adjuvanted HSV-2 plasmid DNA vaccine is effective for prophylactic and therapeutic use in the guinea pig model of genital herpes

Sep 12 01:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment