Theodore Cohen

View Theodore Cohen's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dendreon: Overall Survival Data For Provenge From 2012 GU Poster [View article]
    The following discussion may be of interest:

"The active immune cell for provenge is the monocyte or dendritic cell, After freezing, i dont think many of them are actually viable anyway. So besides the difference of activation of dendritic cells between provenge and frovenge, there may be few dendritic cells left in frovenge to activate. These cells are extrmely sesnsitive once outside the body. there is a short timeline to reinfuse provenge to remain active. In the case of frovenge, the dendtritic cells have been frozen and thawed as well."

Feb 17 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Okay...thanks for your opinion, Vox_populi_00.

Ladies and gents, this poster obviously disagrees with the data presented in the two papers I cited (and perhaps he disagrees with other papers published in the scientific and academic literature regarding Provenge as well). That is his right. I, on the other hand, find the data in the ASCO and 2012 GU posters compelling.

Vox_populi_00 will argue that my position stems from my being an investor in Dendreon. Convenient, but hardly enough to compel me to write these articles for Seeking Alpha and spend time answering comments on this forum. More to the point, I have no illusions: my work is not going to move the stock one way or another. So to think that I'm doing this to increase the price of DNDN is a stretch.

Importantly, I find the science behind Provenge compelling. Further, the papers, or posters, or whathaveyou regarding the trials present cogent arguments that I find of considerable interest and value. I think others who invest in biotech stocks, whether in DNDN or not, might find the subjects of my articles of interest (and value, perhaps), as well. And so, I post material here.

Some have disagreed with what I write. That's fine. Let them stand and deliver. To some extent, they have the advantage of me, for I know not who they are. Nor do I know their backgrounds and agendas. This is, to some extent, what makes the Internet and fora such as this 'toxic' and why it's necessary to be civil in our discourse...especially on Seeking Alpha.

My feeling is, if those who criticize me are so committed to a position, then let them 'get in the arena' and write an article for Seeking Alpha, there to publish their opinions rather than playing the cuckoo bird and laying their eggs in other species' nests.

President Theodore Roosevelt said it best in a speech he gave at the Sorbonne in Paris in 1910:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
    26th President of the United States
    "The Man In The Arena"
    Speech at the Sorbonne
    Paris, France
    April 23, 1910

I wish you all a good weekend. As for me, I have a concert to play.

Feb 17 05:34 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Two subsequent studies, both of which I cited in my article, refute the statement presented in the CMS document you cited above.

Investigators can and will disagree in matters such as these. I don't think there is any argument that Frovenge provided an added survival benefit, thereby distorting the pivotal Phase 3 results and causing the median life extension benefit of Provenge to be underestimated.

Feb 17 04:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'm sorry, but I don't make BUY or SELL recommendations. I do own the stock (have since 2006), but I do not 'actively' trade it. This is not to say I haven't sold shares from time to time, and bought back in on dips.

I only can suggest that you discuss this (and other equities) with your financial advisor and evaluate carefully your tolerance for risk. Biotech stocks are full of surprises, as we found out this morning with Gilead Sciences, a company I have followed for 20 years and consider one of the finest in the biotech universe.

Feb 17 02:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks. Nice to see you again.

Feb 17 02:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    We shall see. DNDN CFO Greg Schiffman expected the ramp-up in sales to kick in 2Q12. We'll know this summer if the company is on tract to do $400M this year. At $400M, the company is at the cash-flow breakeven point.

T
    Feb 17 02:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Regarding reimbursement, you are correct...much ado about nothing. Seventy-five percent of patients pay no out-of-pocket expenses. As long as it can be substantiated through bone scans, for example, that a patient is qualified, reimbursement takes place, in many cases, in under 14 days...well within the time provided by McKesson to pay for the treatment.

Feb 17 02:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    And yes, those are the numbers upon which approval is based.

Have a great weekend, Ted.

Feb 17 02:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'm sorry...you are correct. Some of the authors work for Dendreon.

I misread your statement.

Feb 17 12:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That's not true. And Dendreon did not co-author those papers.

Feb 17 11:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You could make that statement about every paper at every conference.

I concede none of the papers at 2012 GU was peer reviewed.

Feb 17 11:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comments. I'm sure the authors of both papers will appreciate the observations.

Feb 17 11:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for your comment. It would be so much easier to quality your statements if we had your bio and background.

Feb 17 11:28 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    No...the data can not be used by the corporation. But word will get around, nevertheless. Given the benefit afforded by Frovenge, it's frightening to think that the crossovers almost caused Provenge to fail in its pivotal Phase 3 trials.

Feb 17 10:39 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dendreon Gains Will Be Short-Lived [View article]
    I didn't find his comments insulting. I said I was embarrassed to listen to the man (make a fool of himself).

I found the comments above on an Investor Village message board. I was merely making an observation. (;>)

Feb 11 09:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment