TheStoicInvestor

View TheStoicInvestor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Beginning Days Of Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Tim-- Great reminder of how it takes time to see our investment decisions work their magic and in an age when delayed gratification is not that popular, a welcome reminder.

It's one thing to think of dgi in the abstract, but something entirely different when you see it actually working. Several of the articles you find here on Seeking Alpha offer examples of how the process works, but until you see the dividends accumulating in your account and the income stream growing it's still just a concept.

Last year was the first year I started investing and ended up with just a little over 1k in dividends. This year I'm set to grow that number to around 5k. Watching this process just blows my mind! As you said, it takes commitment to take those first few timid actions to develop an income stream that has amazing possibilities for the future.

Cheers
    Mar 22 02:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    richard1972-- I agree, all of the writers who take the time to sit down and share their thoughts and experiences is beyond valuable. They do deserve a big "Thank you".

I've learned a great deal over the months from this group and have picked up some great insights from the advice and experiences shared in this article.

I would spend some time thinking about what you truly want to accomplish with your dgi activity. Once you have that firmly in mind write it out and refer to it regularly when you feel you're getting a little undisciplined. Having your own personal Investment "Charter" will go a long way in keeping you on the path you have deemed by reason to be correct. David Van Knapp has a great article on developing a business plan for investing. It would be a great place to get you started:

Wish you the best.
    Mar 22 01:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    Thank you krug. I couldn't agree more with you about the face in the mirror comment. I think we are our own worst enemies when it comes to investing.

I became interested both Stoic philosophy and investing last year. The name seemed appropriate for my investing style, which beyond any specific strategy, was to remain dispassionate about the whole process. I hope I can remain that way.
    Mar 21 10:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    Thanks for your comment niuecon. I actually opened a Roth IRA today.
    Mar 21 10:47 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    Wow Mark, what a story. A loss of 2/3 eh? I admire your determination to come back after such a horrible setback. Looks like you have a good plan in place to reach that early retirement. Taking a year off and testing the waters has to give you some peace of mind as well.

Before you give me to much credit you should know that I spent most of my adult life wasting money and not investing. I learned some lesson the hard way and decided I needed a crash course in managing and investing money to make up for the past twenty years of mismanagement. Better late than never eh?

Keep me posted on how you do as you close in on retirement. What are your plans once you pull the trigger?
    Mar 21 07:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    jeffry622-- Hopefully some of the others will weigh on your questions as well.

After hearing what richjoy403 said and reading Robert's article I'm now thinking seriously of maxing my 401k. I've been contributing enough to get the match and nothing more. Like you I don't really care for the investment options that are available. My thinking now is that I continue to use the best index fund with low expenses and ride it out till I convert to an IRA later. The tax shelter really does sound like it adds up over time.

Also, I opened a Roth IRA today after finding out what my allowable contribution level was. Slowly, ever so slowly I will get there.

Wish you the best and let me know if you decide to contribute more to your 401k.
    Mar 21 06:36 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    ilzzy-- seems like dividend investing is appealing to many people. Thanks for sharing your story.
    Mar 21 04:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    Thanks for the additional info. richjoy403, very helpful.
    Mar 21 04:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Robert,

Thank you for directing my attention to this. I will check it out.
    Mar 21 03:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    gapwedge-- Thanks for the welcome and sharing your story behind coming to divi investing.

You make a really good point that I don't think people my age appreciate, the benefits of the internet and cheap commission fees. The internet is a double edged sword. It can be easy to get lost in all the information that is thrown at an investor every hour of every day. Having a solid plan helps tune out much of that misinformation.

I read "Dividends Still Don't Lie" at the beginning of the year. Good book and supplements the strategy I'm building very nicely.

I see you're long AFL. One of my biggest disappointments from last year was not picking up AFL when it dropped to 31. That is why one of my goals for this year has been building a greater cash position to take advantage of opportunities like that in the future.

Retirement in six years eh? Any big plans?
    Mar 21 02:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    Thanks for the suggestion rathgar!
    Mar 21 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    asxdg-- Thank you for sharing your experiences. Fear and Greed are indeed the two greatest enemies of an investor. I think if you can come to control these two guys then you have made amazing strides.

Wish you the best on your journey to become an enlightened investor.
    Mar 21 02:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    NC45-- Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the investment vehicles. Gives me a lot to think about.

I agree with you on having to eventually pay the taxes due; there is no avoiding it. Where I get a little confused is this, is there more growth available for an account that is allowed to grow tax sheltered, such as 401k Traditional IRA, versus not taking advantage of that sheltering? If I contribute to these accounts I'm looking at 20+ yrs. before I would access them.

I know it is debated often, but this is still one of the fuzzy areas for me when it comes to dividend investing, how much is lost through the tax drag of taxation on dividends earned in taxable accounts? I don't think one should invest purely on what the prevailing tax rates are, but surely it is a factor that has to be considered when trying to optimize an income portfolio.
    Mar 21 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]

I know you addressed your comment to richjoy403, but I would like to weigh in here as well. Initially I thought, like you, that it would be better if I was planning to retire earlier to go with the taxable account so I could have access to those funds. Here lately I've been thinking of a blended approach. Why not work towards both? Continue to build my taxable account as well as tax sheltered accounts that would kick in later in life to boost my income. Also, I've read about something called the 72t rule that would allow an investor to access those tax sheltered accounts earlier if need be. Honestly, I have not researched it enough to know how it would apply.

What do you guys think, does it sound like a viable option to pursue both?
    Mar 21 02:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    richjoy403-- Thank you for your thoughtful response. I agree with you, there is not reason to wallow in self-pity. Everyone of us who has lived long enough has a story of loss to tell. What matters is what we do after the fact, how we put the pieces back together and that is what I'm attempting to do these days.

Although I do save a great deal of my income, I try to balance things as you suggested. I stop to smell the roses these days, but they are from a different kind of garden. I find that I don't need to spend on stuff to be happy. I do enjoy traveling and have been all across the Middle East. What I spend my time on these days is finding the things that bring me true joy.

Thank you for the suggestions richjoy, I will take them to heart. Glad to hear retirement is treating you well and hope it continues to do so.
    Mar 21 01:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment