TheStoicInvestor

View TheStoicInvestor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]

I know you addressed your comment to richjoy403, but I would like to weigh in here as well. Initially I thought, like you, that it would be better if I was planning to retire earlier to go with the taxable account so I could have access to those funds. Here lately I've been thinking of a blended approach. Why not work towards both? Continue to build my taxable account as well as tax sheltered accounts that would kick in later in life to boost my income. Also, I've read about something called the 72t rule that would allow an investor to access those tax sheltered accounts earlier if need be. Honestly, I have not researched it enough to know how it would apply.

What do you guys think, does it sound like a viable option to pursue both?
    Mar 21, 2012. 02:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    richjoy403-- Thank you for your thoughtful response. I agree with you, there is not reason to wallow in self-pity. Everyone of us who has lived long enough has a story of loss to tell. What matters is what we do after the fact, how we put the pieces back together and that is what I'm attempting to do these days.

Although I do save a great deal of my income, I try to balance things as you suggested. I stop to smell the roses these days, but they are from a different kind of garden. I find that I don't need to spend on stuff to be happy. I do enjoy traveling and have been all across the Middle East. What I spend my time on these days is finding the things that bring me true joy.

Thank you for the suggestions richjoy, I will take them to heart. Glad to hear retirement is treating you well and hope it continues to do so.
    Mar 21, 2012. 01:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    Thanks for comment SpanglerDavis. I'm still learning the fundamentals myself. Stick to what you know right?

Have a great day!
    Mar 21, 2012. 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    "stoic -- I'd gladly trade my hair and girlfriend, for your (relative) youth and good looks!"

richjoy403-- Your comment had me smiling, but you may want to dust off those sunglasses as I think they may be a little dirty and impairing your vision. :-)

You bring up some excellent points. Right now my divi portfolio is held in a taxable account (which you can find on my blog if you want to take a look at it). I do have a 401k, although I'm not maxing it at the moment, not crazy about the investment options (funds only) although I'm beginning to think it may be a good place to "shelter" some money until the time comes to convert it to an IRA and then invest in the divi paying stocks.

The Roth is an option that I'm looking at this year and will probably be funding for both 2011 and 2012. It will be the first time I've contributed to this account.

I'm certainly interested in how the tax drag with impact my income stream both now and in the future. If the additional information helps understand my situation more clearly please share any additional thought you may have.

How is your retirement going? Been to any more interesting places?
    Mar 21, 2012. 12:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    LSOne. Thank you for adding to the conversation. I really enjoy hearing the experiences of others. It allows me to see how things really work in the "real" world. I learned very early that most things that pass for financial news are a distraction from concentrating on what really matters. Seeing how others have navigated their own challenges is inspiring and is one of the many reasons I enjoy the community here at Seeking Alpha.

Cheers
    Mar 21, 2012. 12:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    deedubs. Thanks for your comment. I & II really helped me in finding my way when I first started. I remember thinking, "Where do I even start in all this?" Dividend investing gives you a solid answer to that question.

I agree with you on point IV, it suits my temperament as well. I think next to having clear cut goals adopting a strategy that is in align with you emotional temperament is crucial. If not no matter how good the strategy is you will derail it by making poor emotional decisions.

Wish you the best with your journey.
    Mar 21, 2012. 11:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    David, Thank your for commenting and bringing more insight to the points I mentioned. I like your clarification on point 3 as well as your experience with volatility in point 4, it lets me see what the "norm" is. Honestly it was hard to watch such swings, but having a reason for staying the course allows you to put emotion aside and take advantage of the opportunities you mentioned.
    Mar 21, 2012. 11:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons Dividend Investing Is So Appealing [View article]
    Bob, Thank you for the comment. I remember reading your first article and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more about your experiences.
    Mar 21, 2012. 11:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Own Dividend Stocks And Are Worried About Taxes, Then Read This... [View article]
    Thank you for the article, I really enjoyed the information. I'm still learning my way around the investment world, but I do think it's important for an investor to consider all possible factors that may have an impact on his/her strategy and adjust accordingly.
    Mar 13, 2012. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Myths About Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Thank you for the nice article. I agree with your opening paragraph; this really is a cool community. I just started investing just a little over a year ago and found dividend investing suited my emotional constitution. Shortly after I found Seeking Alpha and the DGI community. This group of guys and gals has been tremendously helpful in assisting me in finding and refining my investing style. The contributors, both writers and those who comment, bring a vast amount of knowledge and experience to this community. You have older, younger, novice, and masters all combining to add to the knowledge base. I'm generally not a big fan of the "hive" mind, but when you have a group sharing and respectfully debating opposing views it really adds something of value for a novice like me.

Thank you again for your contribution.
    Mar 11, 2012. 10:17 AM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly: What Is Going On? [View article]
    Thank you for the article. I've been watching NLY for several months now, I'm thinking now may be the time to take a position.
    Mar 10, 2012. 01:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Dividend Investors Care About Entry Price? [View article]
    Thank you for the article. I spend a lot of time determining my entry price into any position I take. I think I go overboard a bit and get to strict with this practice. Will a few cents make much of a difference to buy and hold strategy? Probably not, so I need to loosen up a bit on this habit. Always something for the new guy to learn...
    Feb 23, 2012. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From 40 Years Of Investing: Stick To Your Plan [View article]
    Solid advice. Thank you for sharing. Hearing those who have experiences in the real world of investing is helpful to novice investors such as myself.
    Feb 21, 2012. 07:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Confessions Of A Retired 1st Year Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Bob-- Great article! I enjoy reading the experience of other investors. I think that is one of the things that makes the seeking alpha platform such a success, individual investors sharing their experiences.
    Like you I started divi investing last year, it was actually my first year of investing, ever (at 37, better late than never, right?) Divi investing made sense to me and it remains my foundational approach. Here is my question. Several of the articles I've read regarding the divi approach have been from people like you who were entering their retirement and where attempting to develop an income stream from their investments. Knowing what you know now and the benefit of hindsight would you have started the divi approach earlier and followed it all along or would you have concentrated on growth in your accumulation years and then begin the transition to generating income? Looking forward to your response and your future articles.
    Feb 21, 2012. 12:21 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Food And Beverage Stocks Trading Down From 52 Week Highs [View article]
    PEP has been added to my watch list with it's recent dip. I've been following DMND since fall of last year. The recent confirmation of it's accounting misstatements has seen it fall even more. Just not sure if the bad news is over or if there is more to come...
    Feb 20, 2012. 06:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment