Thomas Barnard

View Thomas Barnard's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Medical Marijuana's 4th Quarter Update: Less Than It Appears [View article]
    A useful article. Thanks for taking the time to write it, though it seems to have no impact on the gamblers buying this stock. The house will take their money in due time.
    Jan 27 11:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Generex: Research For Sale On The Cheap [View article]
    A doctor's assistance is always a good idea, but what are the meters readings for? Patients should be able to work this out.
    Jan 26 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Biotech Takes Aim At Preventing Recurrent Breast Cancer [View article]
    Hi Rich,

Since management has not been very informative, I appreciate your querying management, and relaying their responses.

I am always confused by acronyms, what does "HLA" mean, and specifically, "HLA restricted"?

I am in sympathy with one of the above comments about "death spiral financing". But though in sympathy, I find it amazing that they continue on.

Without suggesting that Mark Fletcher is without abilities, I think he might do best in conducting an executive search or locating an entrepreneur (with money) with connections, which is what we really need. After all, he has shares or options on shares, and he would also benefit with a well-connected CEO.

I have been dumbfounded all along that a stock with such tremendous potential goes unrecognized by the investing public, but the bigger omission, it seems to me, is by the big pharma companies. As I said in my piece (http://seekingalpha.co...) based on a Fortune article, "Pfizer spent $60 billion on new drugs between 2000-2008, and this only produced nine (9) drugs that got past the FDA. That works out to $6.7 billion per drug."

Big pharma does not know how to develop drugs, so they need to partner with development companies like Generex. And further dumbfounding is that a Pfizer employee was (and could still be for all I know) advising Generex on the AE37 trial.

This is puzzling, dumb-founding, mind-numbing, perplexing, but also possibly stupid behavior on the part of big pharma. But in another context, I suppose it is predictable. Companies get to be so large that the only path for them is down. U.S. Steel had 67% of the U.S. steel market in 1901 when J.P. Morgan bought out Carnegie and 10 others to make the steel trust (U.S. Steel). According to the Wikipedia article when U.S. Steel was spun off from USX in 2001, "it produced only slightly more steel than it did in 1902." It's 67% of the market, is now down to 8%.

Cheers, Tom
    Jan 21 09:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Generex: A Stock Suitable Only For Its Officers And Directors Or Carl Icahn [View article]
    That is a complete mystery to me. I would lay at the feet of management has always been dis-connected or unconnected to the rest of Big Pharma. And it is a shame that those who have diabetes have to stick themselves with needles when they could manage it by spraying the inside of the cheek.
    Dec 9 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rich,

Perhaps I misinterpreted your email to me of a while back. I, too, still own stock, but I am disgusted by the lack of even a semblance of corporate governance. No consideration is given at all for long-standing shareholders.

Tom
    Dec 2 01:18 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acquisition Target: CounterPath Corp. [View article]
    Correction: Sir Terry Matthews.
    Jul 24 04:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acquisition Target: CounterPath Corp. [View article]
    The target is not based on current numbers, obviously. It is based on the roll-out to the system operators, of which only Rogers has moved to the new internet standard, and the fact that CounterPath is very well-connected with distributors. That, and it has the best product. That, and it has a Chairman, Sir Terry Rogers, that knows everyone in telephone, and who plans for the future. Look at his UBC videos. The company he sold to Alcatel (Newbridge) is one of the really healthy parts of that perennially sick company even though he has been out of it for a dozen years.

You can wait for the numbers to catch up with my reconnoiterings, but the stock price could be multiples of its current stock price (which is ridiculously low). You say huge premium, I say the current price is absurdly, ludicrously low (to begin with).

I am predicting a good Thursday number based on the last conference call. It could be better than that. NTT could kick in, for example.

Think about this when you are thinking ridiculously low. When CPAH announced the NTT deal, the stock traded 100 shares, and moved not a scintilla, not an iota, not a lick, not a jot. I thought getting a contract with the largest telephone company in the world, even if it was only for setting up enterprises, was a big deal, after all, there are a lot of enterprises in Japan. There is compression in the stock, the price will not stay low forever.

As for Garrity, I have to know what he is talking about to respond. I would prefer that he send me a message through SA because some things would require such a long response that it would be, in effect, another article.
    Jul 23 12:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acquisition Target: CounterPath Corp. [View article]
    PAY ATTENTION - Earnings out on Thursday the 25th of July.
    Jul 22 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Acquisition Target: CounterPath Corp. [View article]
    Sir Terry has been building the company for years. Management completed the product development stage with its apps for iPhone, iPod, and Android. They have been increasing their connections to partners and customers. All the ducks are in a row. The company could be better about telling its story, but it's all laid out in this piece.

If you own shares, do not sell. If you do not own shares, I think you can invest with confidence because Terry and his team headed by Donovan Jones are going to keep building and improving the company until some company will just decide they need to own it. And that is what you want to own.

Why is the good news not reflected in the price? I have no idea, but I think this is sterling example that not everything known about the company is reflected in the stock price.

$10 feels like a minimum target.
    Jul 22 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MannKind: It All Comes Down To This [View article]
    I stopped reading after it suggested Pfizer might be a possibility. If they failed once with inhaled insulin, because patients didn't want to put stuff in the lungs, it is crazy to assume they will want to repeat the financial debacle.
    Jun 18 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry 10 And The Battle Of The Network Mobile Operating Systems [View article]
    Loved your comment. Funny as hell. I don't think the apps thing is all that important, but some do.
    Mar 7 02:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the Vancouver report. Interesting.
    Mar 7 12:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good points all.
    Mar 6 11:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't see what BBRY has that Apple would want. Perhaps their best bet is licensing their OS, since everyone is concerned about Google owning a handset maker.

I like current leadership okay, but he still has to play his cards well, doesn't he?

Interestingly, Lazlo Birinyi, the astute investor, who took a position in Apple at the bottom, is taking a position not in BBRY.
    Mar 6 11:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Is to LinkedIn as Skype Is to Counterpath Corp. [View article]
    One always hopes for a bidding war, but that might be dreaming.

The thing that would most likely cause a bidding war is that there are so few independent SIP developers left. Google bought three of them, and Microsoft one. Check here for other deals:

Nearly all of CPAH's partners might be a buyer including some smaller players because they have connections to big money. Metaswitch and Sequoia, Genband and Oak Partners. Cisco has partnered with CPAH for so long I think they take them for granted. Oracle is always on the hunt for more revenues and profits, and if they are truly going into the telephony world, they couldn't do better than CounterPath.

Terry Matthews has done some 80 deals, including one big one - Newbridge Networks to Alcatel at $7 billion ($1 billion for himself). He can only get his money out of CounterPath in a deal, so I think one will come eventually, not because he needs to get his money out, but because he has cobbled together a very attractive property that I think one of CPAH's partners will want to nail down.
    Mar 6 06:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment