Thomas Barnard

View Thomas Barnard's Comments BY TICKER:
  • With Ebola Looming, When Will The Defense Department Get Around To Generex? [View article]
    I share your thinking. I did not dis MannKind, which I hope will help many people who dislike sticking themselves with a needle. But as you say yourself buccal is the way to go. I think this recent announcement suggests they are working on making it more easily ingested.

Alfred Mann is typical of many entrepreneurs. Stubborn. I hope it works out for him (and the patients). But if it were me, I would have looked at the Pfizer experience, and would have gone with what could be a winning technology, the buccal route. He could have bought Generex for a song and carried that forward (plus he gets the AE37 tech).

I think you are very intelligent in spreading your risk. Generex has the better technology, but they have no billionaire standing in back of them with connections to even more money.
    Oct 12 02:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, good point. I have not checked, but if they administer the vaccine with their inhaler tech, that would be the way to go.
    Oct 7 03:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Generex PR statement of today (10/7/2014) says:

"There are currently a number of vaccines in development for Ebola, though none have yet been approved. Some of these require repeated administration to obtain some level of protection in animal models, in contrast to the influenza virus vaccines. Early efforts to generate a protective antibody response against Ebola clearly showed the importance of CD4+ T cells. The need for continued or repeated immunization is a good indication of the need for a stronger CD4+ T cell response, as specific activation of this cell type is associated both with immunological memory as well as a robust early response to immunization."

And to make clear the connection to CD4+ T cells read this underneath their main statement:

"The core platform technologies of Antigen Express comprise immunotherapeutic vaccines for the treatment of malignant, infectious, allergic, and autoimmune diseases. Antigen Express has pioneered the use of specific CD4+ T-helper stimulation technologies in immunotherapy."

See their PR release for more:

Oct 7 02:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    To be clear. Generex has no ready made Ebola drug. However, they have a platform that would permit speedy development. But of course that would take money, and the Department of Defense first has to discover them, and if they fumbled around with MMAP for two years, I cannot be encouraging about that.
    Oct 1 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Once again, from the point of a user, if I did not have to use a needle, or inhale a substance into my lung, that would be my choice, and, I believe, the choice of most users.

MannKind has gone against Pfizer's experience with an inhaled product, which was not positive, and they wrote off $2.8 billion.

If you are a MannKind shareholder, best of luck to you. But you are taking a chance. You are betting Pfizer was wrong.
    Oct 1 11:07 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    From the company's website:

Oct 1 10:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not the point of the article, but Pfizer junked Exubera at $2.8 billion because patients and doctors were not comfortable with putting junk in their lungs. Not known by me, but I wonder how smokers would feel. Presumably less of stigma for them.

From the point of view of a user, Generex's Oralyn is the preferred solution, no needle, and no junk in the lungs.
    Oct 1 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • From 1930 To 1995, The P/E Peak Was 24 In January 1966 [View article]
    Aside from a special situation, the high P/E has motivated to go more to cash.
    Sep 5 01:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • From 1930 To 1995, The P/E Peak Was 24 In January 1966 [View article]
    Thanks for this useful link.
    Sep 3 09:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • From 1930 To 1995, The P/E Peak Was 24 In January 1966 [View article]
    My view is that as telephone companies move to become data transmission utilities they will lose revenue. Loss of revenue may lead to lower dividends.
    Sep 3 01:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Medical Marijuana's 4th Quarter Update: Less Than It Appears [View article]
    A useful article. Thanks for taking the time to write it, though it seems to have no impact on the gamblers buying this stock. The house will take their money in due time.
    Jan 27 11:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Generex: Research For Sale On The Cheap [View article]
    A doctor's assistance is always a good idea, but what are the meters readings for? Patients should be able to work this out.
    Jan 26 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Biotech Takes Aim At Preventing Recurrent Breast Cancer [View article]
    Hi Rich,

Since management has not been very informative, I appreciate your querying management, and relaying their responses.

I am always confused by acronyms, what does "HLA" mean, and specifically, "HLA restricted"?

I am in sympathy with one of the above comments about "death spiral financing". But though in sympathy, I find it amazing that they continue on.

Without suggesting that Mark Fletcher is without abilities, I think he might do best in conducting an executive search or locating an entrepreneur (with money) with connections, which is what we really need. After all, he has shares or options on shares, and he would also benefit with a well-connected CEO.

I have been dumbfounded all along that a stock with such tremendous potential goes unrecognized by the investing public, but the bigger omission, it seems to me, is by the big pharma companies. As I said in my piece (http://seekingalpha.co...) based on a Fortune article, "Pfizer spent $60 billion on new drugs between 2000-2008, and this only produced nine (9) drugs that got past the FDA. That works out to $6.7 billion per drug."

Big pharma does not know how to develop drugs, so they need to partner with development companies like Generex. And further dumbfounding is that a Pfizer employee was (and could still be for all I know) advising Generex on the AE37 trial.

This is puzzling, dumb-founding, mind-numbing, perplexing, but also possibly stupid behavior on the part of big pharma. But in another context, I suppose it is predictable. Companies get to be so large that the only path for them is down. U.S. Steel had 67% of the U.S. steel market in 1901 when J.P. Morgan bought out Carnegie and 10 others to make the steel trust (U.S. Steel). According to the Wikipedia article when U.S. Steel was spun off from USX in 2001, "it produced only slightly more steel than it did in 1902." It's 67% of the market, is now down to 8%.

Cheers, Tom
    Jan 21 09:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Generex: A Stock Suitable Only For Its Officers And Directors Or Carl Icahn [View article]
    That is a complete mystery to me. I would lay at the feet of management has always been dis-connected or unconnected to the rest of Big Pharma. And it is a shame that those who have diabetes have to stick themselves with needles when they could manage it by spraying the inside of the cheek.
    Dec 9 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rich,

Perhaps I misinterpreted your email to me of a while back. I, too, still own stock, but I am disgusted by the lack of even a semblance of corporate governance. No consideration is given at all for long-standing shareholders.

Tom