Thomas Sobon

View Thomas Sobon's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Failure To Launch [View article]
    Peter, A truly excellent article. Some of the readers making comments critical of what you wrote must be referring to things that are happening on another planet. Your article refers to things as they are happening on Earth so it is little wonder that they disagree with you. Thanks for making the effort that you did.
    Oct 6, 2015. 08:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Liquidation Warning; Bottleneck Spotted [View article]
    Jeff, excellent article
    Oct 1, 2015. 12:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NorthStar Realty Finance Corp.: Time To Go Bottom Fishing For This 10% Yielder? [View article]
    "Unfairly?" What is fair or unfair in the stock market is in the eye of the beholder. When the stocks you go long go up, that's fair. When they go down, that's unfair. So you get to brag or bitch about the wisdom or the insanity of the investment community.
    Sep 29, 2015. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Looming Catastrophe Ahead? [View article]
    Comprehensive and vey nicely done.
    Sep 29, 2015. 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Winners And Losers Since The Bull Market Peak [View article]
    Eric, good job. However, I conclude that it is much too early in the sell-off to talk about the safe havens or potential winners because history shows when the technical weakness is as pervasive as it is currently, the correction usually ends with an indiscriminate selling climax. Almost all market technicians use moving averages so that technique is a shop-worn barometer. And to know what everybody else knows is to know nothing. My best indicator deals with the action of highs and lows and what I think I see indicates that things are going to get ugly for anyone who is long. Intraday today, some 49% of the 440 stocks in my universe are making one month lows with 33% making five month of longer lows. The volume data on the SPY shows that when trading is above 80 million shares a day on successive days institutions are either aggressive buyers or sellers of the market. During recent weeks they were dumping shares on down days with the volume of trading getting well over 200 million shares on some days.

In recent comments to your articles I wrote that I was either (1) short the market with the SPXS or the SDS, or (2) else in cash. These are short term trades and need to be reconsidered daily. I don't have the problems that you have managing portfolios so I can be nimble while doing what I do. I don't envy you for having the job that you have to do in markets like the current one. Right now I am having fun trading the SPY. Once we find a durable bottom, I will go back to trading individual stocks.
    Sep 28, 2015. 02:17 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You Can Actually See The Desperation [View article]
    Jeff, excellent article. Since Yellen and others at the Fed are determined to support the Wall Street crowd by whatever means necessary, it is not surprising that they will obfuscate the situation when necessary. And that is what she did in her rambling speech. It is not surprising that the hot air came out of the market in late trading on Friday. More such air will likely come out again on Monday because market internals are very weak as they relate to the moving averages and, more importantly, the highs and lows of stock prices.
    Sep 26, 2015. 09:33 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Friday's Stock Sell-Off And The Fed's Epic Fail [View article]

Good to hear from you again. According to the way I read the technical tea leaves the top is defined and the internals as they relate to the weakness relating to the moving averages is substantial. Moreover, I do a lot of work on highs and lows and use that as my lead indicator for the market. It indicates the trend, at least for the near term, is down. Buy low sell high only works when the bottom is behind you and the trend is up. Such is certainly not the case right now. Remember, I am 86 years old and it would be foolish of me to be a long term investor. My time horizon for making a gain on new investments is about one week. Besides, I think the world's economy is a house of cards so I would be inclined to short the market or be in cash. Anybody who is bullish would disagree with me.
    Sep 22, 2015. 01:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Friday's Stock Sell-Off And The Fed's Epic Fail [View article]
    Good job Eric. The halcyon days of buying the dips are over.
    Sep 21, 2015. 09:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yellen Says There Is No Economic Problem While Describing A Serious Economic Problem [View article]
    I guess you might say that Yellen and the others don't have the balls to defy their masters on Wall Street.
    Sep 20, 2015. 01:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dot Record [View article]
    The Fed isn't lost somewhere in left field. They aren't even in the ball park.
    Sep 20, 2015. 09:34 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If "Prosperity is just around the corner" then the corner must be on another planet.
    Sep 20, 2015. 07:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Excellent article. QE cannot possible cure the economic ills. If it could it would have done so years ago. David Stockman has written many articles about the folly of Fed actions and he and others like Jeff Snider need to have their views known about the charlatans at the Fed. My thanks to Jeff for writing what he did.
    Sep 19, 2015. 09:41 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Worst-Case Scenario For The Fed [View article]

With regard to the market response, Wall Street always goes out of its way to put a positive spin on things.
    Sep 16, 2015. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Projecting The Market Response To The Fed This Week [View article]

Outstanding perspective and timely. With the lesson learned from the June 2013 meeting, it is highly unlikely that Yellen will do what Bernanke did.
    Sep 15, 2015. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • You Don't Need A Recession To Fall Into A Bear Market [View article]

A truly outstanding perspective on the way the markets perform in the real world. Fundamental analysis by itself is the way to go wrong with confidence. Another thing is needed to supplement it. Technical analysis is where the rubber meets the road and shows how investor sentiment is evolving. Ignore it and you do so at your own peril.
    Sep 15, 2015. 11:01 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment