Tim Gallagher

View Tim Gallagher's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Revisiting The Taper-Protection Theme To Bulletproof Portfolios [View article]
    MWinMD-Thanks for all the good feedback, and yeah, I do a load of research, but not necessarily for each article. Being a long time student of the markets, having much of this already mentally filed, and anticipating scenarios, allows me to hit my playbook memory section. having the wind at your back may be that one piece of exogenous data that allows certain positions taken to be ones of strength.
    We're of like minds on your stated intended position, and VGK's perfect. I almost suggested it to you earlier when reading your first comment! Do you read minds?

Thanks for your admiration and for being a new follower. Also for clarifying that MD on your call sign. I'm in the medical field most of my professional career, so I automatically wonder, and eventually the question would have been put to you!
    The last bet I made was taking the Ravens before the beginning of the first playoff game-also an unpopular, or uncommon, unshared belief!

I only wish that they had had half of that caliber of play the other night!
    Lewis made a demonstrative difference.
    Sep 8 11:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    MWinMD-You're welcome-thanks for the complement. I do all kinds of timeframe investments, and usually trade or sell at opportunistic times, almost always with intent on buying back in lower. With that in mind my basic time frame is 10-20 yrs., so that allows me to invest with that as my initial entry. That allows for a whole host of bad news to negatively impact stocks countries, continents...whichever.

That long period of time allows me to get in early, sometimes too early, but if that happens and I take a 10-25% hit, I usually buy in and increase the position. I love low prices, value, and bad news! Rarely has that worked against me over any 5 yr. or longer time period.

I'd buy a general European fund or ETF with a value bent initially, then look at Germany, due to its better economic story. Go for growth once you have a feel and are immersed on the events that are affecting your position (and best interests). Personally, I've owned the Tweedy Browne Global Value Fund since its 1994 inception, and they always have a great EU? European concentration of blue chip and smaller cap value names-Heineken, etc. That's my base, then I've owned Janus Overseas, and a couple of funds for instant diversification.

My own picks then have gone to individual stocks-Vodafone, Astra Zeneca, ING Groep, Roche Holding, and others over the years. My point is though, as a hedge against any stock-picking prowess that I may think I have, I also have professionals managing some of my money as a hedge, insuring it against the idiot!
    Sep 8 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Phemale60-That doesn't look like the Manhattan skyline behind you! Seriously though, thanks for your appreciation. You like those retailers by the looks of it. I have a article on one small cap retailer that you might consider looking into. Promise I'll come back and tip you off when it's published. It's in the pipeline now, and I've owned it for 8 yrs. If you're still commenting here I'll reply directly. If you move on, can I just email you here on SA?

Generally, between Syria and all the Taper turmoil, maybe the best time, as you've stated, is now-between earnings season, before the Holidays, and before any positive back to school comp. sales are hitting the Street. Catch shares on a down day or two. We have plenty of macro-factors that will put a sale on just for you!

Take Care Today
    Sep 8 12:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Vodafone, Buy AT&T [View article]
    Excellent observation. Thank you for bringing this nuanced detail to my attention.
    Sep 8 05:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sofina - A Belgian Holding Company Trading At A 38% Discount To Its NAV [View article]
    Thanks for the article ID. It would make a good defensive and diversified holding company with hidden value.
    Sep 5 09:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vodafone - A Clear Signal Now, And Dialing Up A Connection For Stronger Long-Term Profits [View article]
    Jon-Thanks for ringing the bell and accurately answering Dan's question. Muchas Gracias, Senior.
    Sep 4 10:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I'm glad you got everything you asked for Dan.
    Sep 4 10:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's obvious. So what's the question? I'd suggest doing some contributor-like due diligence. Maybe you can do an article on it. Let me know if you do.
    Sep 4 06:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yep. SO? Why'd you buy VOD in the 1st place? Didn't most of its dividends come from VZW, the most profitable wireless operation in the world? Aren't you a contributor? I'd suggest you do some homework.
    Sep 4 06:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I would take into account 1) VZ 9and now, hopefully VZW, is a "utility," a needed service, well desired by Americans. VZ has a beta of only 0.4, a 4.61% dividend yield, or .53c per quarterly distribution. It has come off its 52-wk. high in May, that's due to the Federal Reserve's "Taper Talk." As a hi-yielder, it's interest rate sensitive. If you look at a 5yr. chart, VZ is above a strong support line. Why are you so worried that shares will fall into the price ranges you've suggested? If you're that nervous and have no reasons other than worries/ concerns, either ignore that and be objective as a good investor is best served to do, or sell!

Take Care,

T. Gallagher
    Sep 4 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good Morning Yadbugee- This is from the Vodafone website. It may help you:

See part Overview of the Transactions / Share consideration.
    Sep 4 09:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Maybe news and economic data like this will enable you to view the EU in a more dynamic, less static context. From SA Market Currents: Wednesday, Sep 4 4:37 AM
    Eurozone business activity grows at fastest pace in two years

The eurozone composite PMI rose to 51.5 (flash 51.7) in August from 50.5 in July, indicating the fastest rate of growth since 2011. The services index increased to 50.7 (51) from 49.8, representing the first increase in activity for a year and a half. "The eurozone recovery is looking increasingly broad-based, with more sectors and more countries emerging from recession," says Markit. "Domestic demand is starting to pick up...with the region’s retail PMI also moving into positive territory for the first time in over two years." Spain and Italy have joined Germany in returning to growth, while France's decline is far weaker than earlier in the year. However, job losses continue.
    Sep 4 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good Morning Dan. Thanks for the link. I was on the website to research this report, but have been busy after Labor Day at my primary work. The answers to you r questions are all here, regarding any hypothetical drop in VZ's share price value> "Share consideration

A fixed value collar has been agreed between Vodafone and Verizon.

If the volume weighted average Verizon share price on the NYSE during the 20 business days ending three days prior to the completion of the VZW Transaction is between US$47.00 and US$51.00 the number of shares to be issued by Verizon will be adjusted such that the aggregate value of the share consideration will remain US$60.2 billion, unless reduced by the cash election. On this basis, a maximum of 1,280 million Verizon shares and a minimum of 1,179 million Verizon shares will be issued to Vodafone shareholders.

If the volume weighted average Verizon share price during that period is above the range then the minimum of 1,179 million shares will be issued; and if it is below the range then the maximum of 1,280 million shares will be issued."

You can do all the scenarios' calculations from this clause.

Have a great day.
    Sep 4 08:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dan, show me a source. What details of the deal and collar are you looking at? Thanks,

Tim
    Sep 3 09:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bull Of The Day: Affymetrix [View article]
    I highly doubt it, and I've been in AFFX twice-2000-2001 and 2005 to current. One quarter of a surprise beat on ANY earnings, vs. so many quarters of losses, failed turnaround attempts, an in light of the massive competition from some giants are choking this stock to death! I hate to say that, as a long term long investor, and I love the technology that AFFX pioneered, but I put objectivity into my recent article (below) and suggested a strong sell, or even better, short it. That even goes against my long position that I still hold in full. The reason for that is in my article. I don't want other investors to get entangled in the same spider's web that I'm stuck in.

Is Affymetrix 'Sequencing' A Turnaround, Or Just A Devolving Genetic Anomaly?
    Aug 12 2013, 03:27 | 2 commentsby: Tim Gallagher | about: AFFX