Tim McAleenan Jr.

View Tim McAleenan Jr.'s Comments BY TICKER:
  • Be Careful With ConocoPhillips Earnings [View article]
    If oil prices stay where they're at now or higher, Conoco ought to be making $1.50 per quarter. They'll be paying out $0.66 per quarter. Conoco management ideally wants to pay out 25% of earnings each quarter.
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chain Store Investing In A Conservative Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks BigIsland! Ha, I've had the exact opposite experience. Everyone in my college town shops at Wal-Mart instead of the shag nasty Food Lion. I swear, little critters breed there.

And I don't think I'll be able to keep up this pace much longer!
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chain Store Investing In A Conservative Portfolio [View article]
    Cyborg, I haven't looked at their statement in awhile, but if I recall, I think they had a ton of debt on their balance sheet, which is an automatic disqualifier from looking further in my book.
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chain Store Investing In A Conservative Portfolio [View article]
    Robert, that's a fantastic point you made. I had assumed that the people at HQ would be making intelligent decisions, which is always dangerous.

Old Man Jenkins running his 5&10 might know the Scranton market much better than some MBA hotshots in Bentonville...

Your comment is well-taken. That's a great thing to keep in mind.
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Chain Store Investing In A Conservative Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks Brad. I've been enjoying your work. I do have a question for you -- what's your take on the overall price levels with REITs? Part of me wonders if prices will be much lower in four or five years when interest rates rise. But then again, the sector as a whole might be much stronger to offset that. The only REIT I really follow is Realty Income (O), and it seems to have had quite the run up.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Best,
    Tim
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-And-Hold Investors Only Have To Do Half The Work [View article]
    Robert, you know I agree with you on that!
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-And-Hold Investors Only Have To Do Half The Work [View article]
    Miz, you're way too nice ;)
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:48 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-And-Hold Investors Only Have To Do Half The Work [View article]
    Thanks gapwedge!
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-And-Hold Investors Only Have To Do Half The Work [View article]
    Thanks so much cyborg! It's comments like yours that keep me writing.
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy-And-Hold Investors Only Have To Do Half The Work [View article]
    David, you're spitting common sense. I love it.
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Past The Headlines (Warren Buffett Did) [View article]
    That was due to the opposite problem. Stocks were trading at 20-30x earnings. Too much irrational exuberance.

That's not so much the problem in today's market...
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Past The Headlines (Warren Buffett Did) [View article]
    Very well put conkjc.
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Give Rewards For Putting Up With This [View article]
    JoAnn, I'm the worst person to ask for something like that. But congrats to your husband for investing in Chevron. That decision alone put him ahead of 99.9% of people out there.

Regardless of the split, your Chevron income should continue to be quite nice.

-Tim
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Give Rewards For Putting Up With This [View article]
    Thanks Silverback.

To answer your question fiveoh, I've had two personal goals for my financial life by the time I'm 25:

1. Graduate from college with no debt.

2. Graduate from law school with no debt.

I was able to do the first one successfully, and because I received a scholarship for law school, I should meet that goal as well.

Would I like to be investing? Sure. But I'm content with where I'm at.
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:43 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Give Rewards For Putting Up With This [View article]
    Bluesmoke, so true. Although they seem to have done an all right job with retained earnings so far ;)
    Jun 7, 2012. 02:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment