Tim McAleenan Jr.

View Tim McAleenan Jr.'s Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Right Time To Root For Lower Stock Prices [View article]
    Thanks Joe. It means a lot to me to hear that.
    Apr 15, 2012. 08:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why 'I'll Just Sell A Few Shares When I Need Cash' Doesn't Work [View article]
    Robert, of course you're right. I feel like Charlie Munger at a Berkshire meeting, "I have nothing to add."

Very nicely done.
    Apr 5, 2012. 08:59 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When To Sell: Why Breaking Up Is So Very Hard To Do [View article]
    Oh, it's a compliment. I'm in awe of your KO and CL cost bases.
    Apr 5, 2012. 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When To Sell: Why Breaking Up Is So Very Hard To Do [View article]
    David,

You're a boss.

-Tim
    Apr 5, 2012. 07:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Better? Dividends Or Covered Calls [View article]
    It's crazy. My dad works for American Airlines at DFW Airport. Didn't see that one coming.
    Apr 3, 2012. 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Beat An 8-Year-Old's Stock Portfolio? [View article]
    Rocco, great article as usual. I know in my life one of the transition points was realizing that $1,000 in an account wasn't something that "had to be spent", but rather, could be put aside for building a better future. Kudos for teaching your daughter that huge life lesson at such an early age.
    Apr 2, 2012. 02:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Beat An 8-Year-Old's Stock Portfolio? [View article]
    Holy shit. If you have an eleven year old that is already talking about owning Berkshire Hathaway, he is going to own the world. Talk about it being his oyster someday...
    Apr 2, 2012. 02:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil: The 'Iron Skillet' Of Investments [View article]
    Pey, I think you're right on damn near everything you write (if not everything), but I especially agree with you when it comes to Exxon. There's two companies I want to be my "signature holdings" in life (with Exxon being one, and Johnson & Johnson being the other), and I think you do an outstanding job of pointing out Exxon's long-term virtues if you can get past the unimpressive current dividend yield.
    Apr 2, 2012. 01:34 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Not A Dividend Growth Stock If The Dividend Ain't Growing [View article]
    Hey Dave,

Sorry it took me so long to comment. I read your article right after it came out, and I wanted to put myself in the "shoes of an Exelon shareholder" to attempt to understand why they might mentally categorize Exelon as a "dividend growth" or "like dividend growth" component of their portfolio.

I would say the "Exelon as a company of dividend growth likeness" rationalization is probably a combination of three things: (a) the stagnant 5% dividend yield gives you a running head start over a 3% yielding company growing dividends at 7% annually for awhile, especially with dividend reinvestment in Exelon which can create a synthetic form of dividend growth, (b) they regard the past three years as an aberration due to everything going to hell, and dividend growth will resume again (say, like people buying GE at $6 for dividend growth reasons---let's call it "anticipation of dividend growth resumation"), and (c) it's a deep value play that offers a 5% yield which gels well with their dividend-focused instincts, and now could be the great time to establish a solid yield base on a future dividend growth firm.

Of course you're right that it's not dividend growth per se, but I could guess these reasons might lead them to regard it as pseudo-dividend growth.

Now for the side notes--

1. I agree 100% with your observation earlier about the naysayer attitude. While this may not be the original insight of the century--ever notice that people who use their real names tend to get in fewer disagreements than those that involve anonymous pseudonyms? Hmmm...

At the end of the day, there's two predominant ways to read an article: You can either try to charitably understand the main point of what someone is saying (and either agree or disagree with it), or you can read each article with the mindset of trying to find slight inaccuracies that prove distinctions without differences so you can try and win technical disputes. These people say things like: "What do you mean by common sense? How do you define that? You said Berkshire Hathaway hasn't paid a dividend with Warren Buffett? What about the 10 cent dividend in 1967?" And so on. Naturally, these people are harder to make friends with.

And lastly, I don't get the reaction of some people who expect every article on DG investing to invent a new wheel. Hell, even the great mathematician Pythagoras only had one great insight in his life, and the rest of his groundbreaking philosophy was simply a rehash without attribution of what Greek philosophers before him said...so these commenters should cut the dividend growth community a little slack. It's hard for us to say the same thing in different words each day! ;)

Hats off if you read my entire rant there, Dave. Very nice article, and very nice comment stream, per usual.
    Apr 1, 2012. 03:08 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Why Behind The How: The Quality Of Comments On Seeking Alpha Articles [View instapost]
    Rocco, great points. I think it has a lot to do with the nature of an anonymous reader (you don't see people with their "real names" out there getting at it as much). When most people speak face to face, usually we attempt to charitably understand the main points of what someone is saying. In other words, we try to get the "gist of it." But that goes out the window when anonymous commenting removes personal responsibility. Instead of trying to pick up an author's main points, we often look for slight inaccuracies or technically disputable points, in an effort to either experience the thrill of trolling or building oneself up by tearing others down.
    Apr 1, 2012. 11:35 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Most Common Stocks Held By Dividend Growth Investors [View article]
    David, great list. Annaly is the one only that sticks out to me as not belonging, mostly because the world of mortgate reits is a very different world than that of Cokes and Johnson & Johnsons...

Maybe Becton Dickinson, Clorox, and Walgreen could be possible replacements?

And I read somewhere that GE is the most followed stock in the country (I'm sure Apple has taken that title by now), and I wonder if a dividend growth "rehab" stock of GE's caliber has a place on the list.

All in all, great job. Looks like you got the heart of it to me.
    Apr 1, 2012. 09:35 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer's 3 Misguided Comments About Berkshire Hathaway [View article]
    From the late 1960s onward, the S&P 500 has returned about 10%. From the time Warren Buffett took over Berkshire Hathaway onwards in the 1960s, he's returned about 20%. That's doubled the return of the stock market. If you invest $100,000 at 10% for 40 years, you get $4.5 million. At 20%, you get $146 million. Not bad, eh? Because Buffett is able to put capital to work like that, he earns the benefit of the doubt to put retained earnings to work as he wishes. Why is he being hypocritical? He bought Johnson & Johnson with the understanding that it pays a dividend. No one buys Berkshire Hathaway with the reasonable expectation that he will pay a dividend this year. If you read the Berkshire "Owner's Manual" before buying shares, he spells out the expectations clearly, and then attempts to do exactly what he claims.
    Apr 1, 2012. 05:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: Save Money Do It Yourself (Part 16) [View article]
    If I didn't believe I had the ability to pick individual stocks with a reasonable likelihood of success, I would throw myself at the feet of John Bogle and the Bogleheads and go the indexing route...rather than get an advisor who does this every time I enter the office:

Mar 31, 2012. 12:49 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SuperValu: An Ultra-Risky Dividend Play [View article]
    Pey, nice article. I have no idea what to think of SVU (haven't even reads it annual report before), but I like your fresh perspective on it. Well done.
    Mar 31, 2012. 12:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • SuperValu: An Ultra-Risky Dividend Play [View article]
    I'm surprised you sold out of SVU already. Normally people who write in all caps lock are calm, collected, and patient long-term investors.
    Mar 31, 2012. 12:02 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment