View as an RSS Feed
View Tim Plaehn's Articles BY TICKER:
ACMP, AGD, AGNC, ALDW, ALU, AMJ, AMTG, AMZN, AN, ANW, APL, ARCC, ARLP, ARMH, ARR, ATAX, ATLS, AV, AYR, BBEP, BIP, BPL, BWP, BXP, CIG, CIM, CLMT, CMCSA, CMLP, CPA, CPL, CQP, CTBK, CVRR, CVY, EC, EEP, ELP, ENY, EPB, EPD, EROC, ETE, ETP, EXR, F, FB, FCX, FGP, FLO, FSC, FTR, GGP, GIGM, GLW, GNKOQ, GOOG, GRH, HCLP, HPQ, HW, KHDHF, KKR, KMI, KMP, LFL, LINE, LNCO, LNKD, LUK, LVS, MFA, MMLP, MMP, MWE, NAT, NCT, NFLX, NGG, NGLS, NLY, NM, NMM, NRP, NRZ, NS, NTI, NZTCY, O, OAK, OHI, OKE, OKS, ORAN, ORI, PAA, PAGP, PAY, PBD, PBR, PDH, PHK, PSEC, PSX, PSXP, QQQX, QRE, RESI, REX, RGP, RLJ, RNF, SAN, SBLK, SBUX, SBY, SFL, SID, SLB, SLW, SPG, SPH, SSEZY, SSL, STON, STWD, TEF, THMR, TLLP, TNH, TRGP, TTI, TWO, UAN, UMH, VALE, VLP, VNQ, VNR, VSUNQ, WES, WGP, WMB, WPC, WPZ, WYNN, XHB, YHOO, YPF
The QR Energy Merger Yields No Measurable Benefit For BreitBurn Energy Partners Investors
- BreitBurn Energy Partners will acquire QR Energy to become the second-largest upstream MLP.
- A merger of the two high-yield upstream MLPs does not result in potential for increased BreitBurn Energy distribution growth.
- The merger appears to be a merger for the sole goal of getting larger. BreitBurn Energy investors will get no additional benefit, but QR Energy investors come out significantly ahead.
Altisource Residential Continues To Pile Up Income, Fueling Future Dividend Growth
- RESI just increased its dividend by 22%, double three quarters ago, with more to come.
- The business model of buying non-performing loans to acquire single family homes for rental is producing tremendous results.
- The current pace of dividend growth plus a moderate yield compression would result in a 100% one year total return.
REIT-Like Partnership ATAX Pays 8% In Tax-Free Distributions
- ATAX is a publicly traded partnership investing in tax-exempt mortgage revenue bonds.
- The company operates in the niche financing of tax-advantaged low income housing construction and rehabilitation.
- The 8.2% yield appears secure, but some growth in cash available for distribution would make the investment more secure.
Northern Tier Energy - The Best Of The Variable Distribution MLPs
- A small number of fertilizer and refinery MLPs have 100% of cash flow variable payout distribution policies. Buy these when prices are down to earn big when distribution are up.
- Northern Tier Energy carries an 8% yield based on the average of 4 most recent distributions.
- Pending organic growth projects will increase the NTI refinery efficiency, keeping the refiner profitable when others are losing money.
Ferrellgas Partners Poised To Go From Boring To Growing With Jump Into Energy Midstream
- Ferrellgas Partners has paid the same $0.50 quarterly distribution for 20 consecutive years.
- The May 2014 purchase of Sable Environmental puts the company into a fast-growth midstream sector.
- Ferrellgas reports fiscal year-end results in late September. A good time to announce the first distribution increase in the partnership's history.
The Annaly Capital Share Price Breakdown Graphically Illustrated
- After a very bad 2013, NLY has produced strong returns in 2014. Has the stock fully recovered?
- Paying out capital gains in the dividends increased the size of the decline when rates increased.
- Over the recent two-year mortgage rate cycle, NLY has lost money even as rates returned to the previous levels.
Distribution Reduction In The Cards For Calumet Specialty Products?
- After a great 2012, in 2013 CLMT increased distributions to investors by 52%.
- In 2013, distributable cash flow dropped by 94% and only covered 10% of distribution paid on LP units.
- EBITDA and DCF have not recovered in 2014, and growth projects will not make up the difference. Finances will force a distribution reduction.
Countdown Of Fast Growth REITs: Extra Space Storage
- Double-digit dividend growth from a REIT is may favorite path to above average, long-term total returns.
- Extra Space Storage has the fastest growing REIT dividend for the last four years.
- Looking for a pullback to $47 per share for a 4% yield and expected double-digit growth.
Crestwood Midstream Partners Poised For Distribution Growth And 50% 1-Year Return
- The Crestwood plus Inergy merger put the brakes on the CMLP distribution growth.
- CMLP has managed results to produce 15% DCF cash flow growth to get back to 1.0 times distribution coverage.
- With dividend increases resuming in 2015, CMLP could produce a 35% to 60% total return next year.
Putting An Estimated Yield On The Distribution Restart Of Eagle Rock Energy Partners
- Eagle Rock Energy Partners has completed the sale of its midstream business, leaving the company as a pure play upstream MLP.
- Management must now prove it can manage an MLP to generate growing cash flow and distributions to investors.
- A DCF estimate puts the restarted distribution rate at a 5% to 6% yield, well below the typical 9% paid by established upstream MLPs.
Kinder Morgan Inc. Will Be A C-Corp Managed Like An MLP
- The roll-up of KMP and EPB into KMI was Kinder Morgan's only option to reduce growth capital.
- The MLP business model of growth capex paid for by debt and equity issuance produces the desired outcome of steady distribution growth.
- Even though it is a corporation, KMI will stick with the MLP growth model to reach the stated dividend growth goals.
- At some point in the future, KMI will need an MLP subsidiary to maintain and accelerate growth for investors.
Kinder Morgan Jumps Largest Growth Obstacle With Consolidating Merger
- KMI to buy up KMP, KMR and EPB into single mega-corporate energy midstream company.
- Merged entity forecast to produce 10% annual distribution growth.
- Could a new KMP be spun-off as a growth MLP some years into the future?
- Regency Energy Partners Goes Nuts With Acquisitions In 2013: Will Investors Benefit?
- Time For Investors In Eagle Rock Energy Partners To Step To The Sidelines
- Market Wrongly Undervaluing Kinder Morgan Energy Partners
- Profit From Rapid Dividend Growth With New IPO: Valero Energy Partners
- Pros And Cons Of MLP Investing Through Closed-End Funds
- Ship Finance Poised To Start Growing The Already Attractive 9% Dividend
- Phillips 66 Partners Confirms ATM Reliability Of Pending Distribution Growth
- After A Rough Quarter, Northern Tier Energy Moves To The Top Of The Refinery MLPs
- Linn Energy Management Justifies Higher Acquistion Value For Berry Petroleum
- Sleepy Martin Midstream Partners Is Poised To Wake Up And Grow
- Between The Lines: Will Linn Energy Make Merger Announcement Soon?
- IPO Of Plains GP Holdings Offers Mind-Blowing Tax-Free Dividend Math
- Eagle Rock Energy Partners Cash Flow Struggles Put 11% Yield At Risk
- Expecting A Big Q3 Dividend Reduction From Alon USA Partners
- Hi-Crush Partners Yields 7% And Dividend To Start Increasing Significantly
- Prospects For A 10% Dividend Hike From Suburban Propane Partners
- Fate Of Navios Maritime Partners' Big Dividend To Be Decided In Next 9 Months
- Mortgage REITs Dividend Cuts Scorecard
- Are The Wheels Falling Off For Armour Residential REIT?
- Linn Energy Takes Next Step To Survive And Thrive