Tim Rohkemper

View Tim Rohkemper's Comments BY TICKER:

• 3 Plays On Tap After Shares Of Nokia And Alcatel-Lucent Fall [View article]
    "The stock price should stabilize within the next few weeks. When it settles, investors may decide what strategy makes the most sense"

Thank you for the insight!!!
    May 5, 2015. 07:40 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Decline Of Nokia Continue? [View article]
    I am so mad at myself for contributing $0.01 to this author -.-
    Dec 16, 2013. 02:27 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zalicus' Z160 Fails, What Now? [View article]
    You have learned a lesson! I am very sad to hear about your experience with ZLCS, but it will tell you that penny stocks and some industries such as the one ZLCS in acting in, are only meant to get the money you can afford to loose. These stocks are no sustainable investments, they are mostly trades an on very rare occasions they turn out to be the biggest win or loss of your time. It is fundamental for you to build a diversified portfolio allowing you to not allocate assets, but allocate risk exposures. A portfolio that can set the basis for life long financial health. It is important to not be over allocated to one position, which is the main reason why people fail. Sadly, it happened to you and I hope you are young enough and smart enough to establish a diversified allocation over the next years, not being overly concentrated on one unsustainable stock.
    Nov 11, 2013. 01:49 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zalicus' Z160 Fails, What Now? [View article]
    My advise, cut down and take the loss and cut down on taxes this year.
    Nov 11, 2013. 11:09 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: A Surprise Short Play [View article]
    Understand your point dwdallam, but if cash gets burned year after year which could have certainly be used more valuable in other parts of the company I seem some sort of possible interdepartmental correlations. I believe that A divesture of D&S can set the focus on more profitable long term strategies. The biggest issue in todays market environment is, that many firms have to look short term to make us greedy investors happy, while forgetting about the real goals that is long-term success. Getting rid of D&S will help shifting the focus towards not short term oriented goals, that at the end of the day don't really matter for the company overall. Secondly the current patent portfolio will be significantly affected going forward. I am not talking about suing others which shouldn't be the goal of Nokia anyways. The goal should never be getting rid of competitors, the goal should be to get ahead of competitors, since competitions drives markets. I believe that the cash inflow and divesture of a cash burning department will help monetizing more patents going forward, while focusing on a more service oriented business strategy. I haven't owned NOKIA for many years, only since I have seen that Microsoft stepped in, hoping they will buy the part I don't like and luckily it happened (No I do not have a crystal ball, I just got lucky that my anticipation was right).

I now own several thousand call options $7 2015 which I bought last years, hoping for long term strategic changes. If the business I see takes place I value NOKIA $18 - $25 a share after thorough analysis and DD in 2018.
    Nov 4, 2013. 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: A Surprise Short Play [View article]
    Sometimes I wish I new what I will read before clicking on the link that pops up in my email notifications. I fee stupid for even contributing $0.01 to this author.

In my view, the Other Assets were not greatly affected by the deal with Microsoft. Why should Nokia's networks business, location services or patent portfolio suddenly become so much more valuable just because Nokia is not making phones any more?

- This is proof of lack of business knowledge how acquisitions and divestures can actually set free real value whether justified or not (I am not going into detail, but just start thinking about a new business focus, capital going into new structures, key employees shifting from one division to another -> Those are just high level points and one could go on and on forever).

Your two key assumptions about NSN deal and Microsoft deal - I mean - are you serious?
    Sep 23, 2013. 11:40 AM | 22 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Fixed-Income Dilemma [View article]
    @Val & John,

Very much appreciated your comments! I do however believe that both of your discussions - even if a appropriate discussions to have - are not mandatory in the environment of my article. First of all their are many factors that impact the overall economy and a recessionary scenario and my article was not focused on these factors. A true recession is a tough call and surely influences the mentioned investments in a very much harder way than anticipated in my "rising interest rate" environment. But hey, let's have a discussion, why not.

Sep 18, 2013. 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Fixed-Income Dilemma [View article]
    @Ray,

Appreciate your comment and actually I can agree with a lot of it. Not being a huge bond guy I wanted to visualize the overall Dilemma we have. For many years diversification meant to allocate some funds towards fixed income. Many investors only used an agg for that and are now over-allocated to government funds (same issue with PIMCO at some point?). There are still some play in the fixed income market with fairly valued bonds and some opportunity if you are not to constrained to a certain style.
    Sep 18, 2013. 12:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Fixed-Income Dilemma [View article]

As always I like to use my articles to educate and prevent - prevent the stupid or the rush from one extreme into the other. Interest rates are a tricky arena to play and investors are mostly tripping in the dark, where even the FED doesn't always know what to do and especially when.
    Sep 17, 2013. 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Fixed-Income Dilemma [View article]
    As listed in my bio I'd like to let people know about a disclosure that can't be listed below the article directly:

"Every dollar earned through my current and future contributions to this website will be donated to: Ernst Lossa Haus (http://bit.ly/1cxBxLa), an organization that supported my sister for over 20 years. "Ernst Lossa Haus" was founded to help people with disabilities and make their life a little bit better and more enjoyable. Built in a small city in Germany it allows children and adult people with disabilities to live in a beautiful environment to enjoy their life."
    Sep 16, 2013. 06:59 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO Total Return - A Competitive Analysis And Deep Dive Into Derivative Holdings [View article]
    @Dogs that Bark,

Working in this industry, even at my young age I have learned one essential thing and also the only two questions you have to asked yourself managing your assets or your advisor helping you to do so:

1. There are good Investment Managers, but great Investment Marketers, and
    2. There are great Investment Managers, but good Investment Marketers,

By this I mean that you will find investment products that might look appealing, since they are pushed through there marketing pipe really well, but do not fulfill your needs. And the other thing you have to figure out are:

1. Uncertainty: What possible market environment will occur?
    2. Exposure: How are my investments exposed to these markets?

First of all close to retirement a more fixed income allocation probably makes sense, however even here we have a wide spectrum of different risks and you will have to make sure that these risks are aligned with your needs. I don't want to mention that a well diversified portfolio is the foundation, since everybody here knows that, but I like to have an open discussion about things you can look at to be more comfortable throughout retirement. At the end of the day your investments are supposed to achieve one thing for you: A higher level of being confident in succeeding.

Where I was born you are not supposed to say "Good Luck" since it means you are lacking the level of skills to succeed, so in my own words to you:

GOOD SUCCESS doing so.

See you around
    Aug 14, 2013. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @hopelake,

I could not agree more, the material and field of derivative investment products does not only go wider than most products you will ever see, but it also goes a lot deeper and at some point it will get confusing.

In this article as well as future article I will contribute to educate about more complicated investment structures I will try and actually have to keep it at a higher level (Yes even I want an audience ;). However with every article I will try to dig a little bit deeper into the material to make it more interesting for everybody.

There are so many things out there in the market, that by name seem to be the same and might even have the same objective, but get there using entirely different investing methodologies. What did my mom always tell me "There several ways to Rome" or something like this. I will be busy this week meeting with PMs, but try to get back to you this weekend or as early as next week.

Thanks again,
    Aug 14, 2013. 10:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    @hopelake,

Well a Credit Default Swap is kind of tricky:
    First of all the seller of the CDS will in general compensate the buyer in the even of a loan default or credit event. The buyer on the other side makes a "series" of payments to the seller and therefore in exchange receives a payoff if the loan defaults. Here is the problem or nice thing - however you want to see it. Anyone can purchase a CDS, even buyers who do not hold the actual loan and who actually do not have a direct insurable interest in the loan "naked cds". What happens when we have to many "naked" cds contracts than actually bonds outstanding we generated a problem in case of default. In this particular case the payment received will usually be substantially less than the face value of the loan defaulted. The risk or danger about a cds - for most people - is, that they combine priority in bankruptcy with a huge lack of transparency. As you mentioned we have buyer and seller betting against each others forecast and each party takes on the other parties counterparty risk. So in the case of speculation credit default swaps are written against to many loans and some people speculate on a company to fail or succeed and a lot of people or institutions can make fast money.

There is really a lot more to cover, maybe to much for a reply, but I would be happy to send you a message with the full chain sometime?

Aug 13, 2013. 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you!!!!
    Aug 13, 2013. 12:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    They also offer some really nice write ups regarding their strategy and underlying holdings for anybody who is interested.

Aug 13, 2013. 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment