Timothy M. David McAleenan Jr.

View Timothy M. David McAleenan Jr.'s Comments BY TICKER:
AAPL, AFL, AXP, AZO, BA, BAC, BF.B, BP, BRK.A, BRK.B, C, CL, COP, CVX, DE, DIA, DPS, FB, FRT, GE, GM, HSH, IBM, INTC, JNJ, JPM, KMB, KO, LNCO, LO, MCD, MDLZ, MJNA, MO, MSFT, NFLX, NVDA, O, PBI, PEP, PFE, PG, PM, PSX, QCOM, RAI, RCI, SBUX, SIRI, SPY, STI, SVU, T, TBT, TEF, TGT, TIP, TLT, TOT, V, VB, WFC, WMT, XOM, ZNGA
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    So true. But you gotta have rules. That's called "parenting."
    Jun 10 10:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Like About How Zuckerberg Runs Facebook [View article]
    Robert, as usual, excellent point.

Even if it's very thin, I do think there is some moat in the sense that it's colloquial to say something like "Go google it" when we mean look something up on a search engine. Seems a little similar to when we say "Hand me a Kleenex" instead of a tissue. If I were to design an exact replica of Facebook and Google, I doubt there would be many defectors until the alternative contained some element that made it superior.
    Jun 10 08:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Like About How Zuckerberg Runs Facebook [View article]
    Bluesmoke, I'll never own Facebook in my life. It will most likely be a terrible long-term investment. That's why I tried to avoid saying anything to endorse investing in Facebook. All I said in this article is that I appreciate the fact that Zuckerberg is pro-active in protecting his moat. In the internet world, that doesn't count for much. I was absolutely not touting this as an investment.
    Jun 10 07:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Like About How Zuckerberg Runs Facebook [View article]
    Whoops. My bad. Thanks for letting me know.
    Jun 10 02:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Warren Buffett Sure Knows How To Plant A Tree [View article]
    Thanks DGI. I was hoping I made it clear in the first sentence "Those warrants to buy 700,000,000 shares..." that Buffett would have to actually buy the shares for the dividends to kick in.
    Jun 10 02:05 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks Give Rewards For Putting Up With This [View article]
    Perfect. I think Robert Allan Schwartz is going to get me a "Lawyers do it in the library" bumper sticker. I'm set.
    Jun 10 12:35 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    I did over 2,000 hours of community service, got a 34 ACT, and had a 3.9 GPA. I got full rides to SMU, Holy Cross, and Washington & Lee. I was torn between W&L, Vanderbilt, Dartmouth, and Notre Dame. But Washington & Lee blew me away with the speaking tradition (you have to say hi to everyone), classes with less than 20 people, and faculty members that you actually become friends with. And the school just has a good style about it.

For law school, it was the same way. I did 900 hours of community service in college at a shelter for victims of domestic violence and scored in the 160s on my LSAT. Although my GPA came down a little bit from my 3.9 in high school.

When I raise kids someday, there will be two non-negotiable rules in the McAleenan household: You have to do ten hours of community service every week, and you have to spend the entire summer before Junior/Senior year studying for the ACT/SAT exclusively. My best advice to anyone looking to get around paying tens of thousands of dollars for college would be to do hundreds of hours of community service and put yourself in a position to score 30 or above on the ACT. Scholarship money seems to really open up at that point.

PS I gave you the short story that made it sound like it came easy to me. I wish I was that talented and put together. But I had a lot of help, and I screwed up a lot along the way. The reason I took the ACT instead of the SAT is because it allows you to pick the score you send to colleges. If you take the SAT, they get every record of every test you ever took. I had to take the ACT 5 times to get it up to a 34. I went: 29,32,31,33,34. You should have seen me the day after that third test when I thought I was getting worse! And even my community service wasn't perfect. I was a bit of a goofball when I started volunteering at a hospital--I filled latex gloves up with water, and started water balloon fights at very inopportune times. It seemed funny at the time, but doctors and nurses had much more important things to do than babysit Tim McAleenan. I'm still embarrassed by some of my antics there. Luckily, my favorite high school teacher started taking me to a soup kitchen in downtown St. Louis to do "real service", and that got me going in a good direction. If I didn't have the right parents, teachers, friends, etc., I couldn't have pulled it off.
    Jun 9 06:04 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    I don't even think I accept that "every person who buys and sells stocks thinks they are doing so rationally." What if I have to pay to send my kids to college and have to sell my prized Johnson & Johnson stock to pay the bills? I could be sitting there screaming "This is undervalued" but the fact is, I sold it, because I had to pay a bill.

Or I have a family member who's about to lose his house, and I sell my stock to help him pay for it because I care about a sibling more than holding undervalued Colgate-Palmolive shares.

It happens on the buy side as well. What if I'm one of those deceptive mutual fund managers that engage in "window dressing" by buying a hot stock at the end of the reporting period to trick a client into thinking that I owned it? That stock was purchased with no regard for its value, but rather, to deceive customers into thinking I was part of the past run up.

Or picture this. A relative dies and gives me 100,000 shares of Emerson Electric in the will. I say 'Screw investing', sell it, and blow through the money.

Each of those decisions were due to some desire, impulse, or emotion that had no regard for the company in question.
    Jun 9 05:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Fear As A Dividend Investor [View article]
    Keela, it's the tone that I didn't like. Even if I was wrong and Bingo were right, I still wouldn't want to be talked to like this: "It is not true. Be sure of your facts before you publish."

The condescension is particularly obnoxious in a case like this where I've got my facts right.
    Jun 8 08:47 PM | 16 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    I love Bruce Springsteen. Love the guy. Since he dominates my iPod, I doubt I go a day of my life without listening to him. Does the fact that he is politically to the Left make Born To Run any less of a masterpiece? Hell no.

I listen to Springsteen when it comes to his trade: music. I don't listen to Springsteen when he's out of his circle of competence.

I follow the same logic in regards to Buffett.
    Jun 8 08:29 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    Professor Banks, I understand that you're very intelligent. But I disagree with you because the only way to believe that volatility is useful in determining risk/uncertainty is if you believe the people who buy and sell stocks are acting rationally. I reject that premise.

Buffett could name me as his heir. I could wake up every day and throw a dart at the dartboard to determine whether to buy a $1 billion or sell $1 billion worth of Berkshire that day. That'd get the volatility going.
    Jun 8 08:25 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    Thanks Lake Investor. I received full scholarships for both undergrad and law school, so I've been very fortunate to not have student debts to worry about. But your advice is well received.
    Jun 8 08:12 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    "Nice gig if you can get it. Who wouldn't want to be able to work three months out of the year and be able to survive comfortably?"

wrocnrob, it's not like I'm just sitting around watching Judge Judy and playing putt-putt in my living room the other nine months of the year. I've been a full time student in college for the past four, and I'll be in law school for the next three.
    Jun 8 08:09 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    Thanks Dave. That meant a lot. Every single lawyer I have ever spoken with has given me the same advice about my first year of law school, "Get the best grades you can. Whether you think it's fair or not, first year law grades will have a huge bearing on your future." So I thought I would structure my life in a way to make that happen.

I write about investing, and obviously I'd like to have money, but I don't see money as an ends in itself. It's just a tool that either permits or prohibits me from reaching my dreams/goals. In this case, money is only useful to the extent it can allow me to focus on getting the best grades possible during my first year of law school.
    Jun 8 08:06 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Best Thing Warren Buffett Has Said All Year [View article]
    Thanks, Matsebula. I recognized that if you can get a 3.7 GPA or better in high school and score above a 32 or so on the ACT, then you can get a full tuition scholarship. For law school, same story, except switch LSAT with ACT. Putting myself in a situation to benefit from that realization saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars (literally). If I worked at minimum wage and got worse grades/test scores, I'd be paying tuition somewhere around $20,000 or so per year while having what, a $5,000 portfolio? That would be penny wise and pound foolish.
    Jun 8 08:00 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment