Timothy M. David McAleenan Jr.

View Timothy M. David McAleenan Jr.'s Comments BY TICKER:
AAPL, AFL, AXP, AZO, BA, BAC, BF.B, BP, BRK.A, BRK.B, C, CL, COP, CVX, DE, DIA, DPS, FB, FRT, GE, GM, HSH, IBM, INTC, JNJ, JPM, KMB, KO, LNCO, LO, MCD, MDLZ, MJNA, MO, MSFT, NFLX, NVDA, O, PBI, PEP, PFE, PG, PM, PSX, QCOM, RAI, RCI, SBUX, SIRI, SPY, STI, SVU, T, TBT, TEF, TGT, TIP, TLT, TOT, V, VB, WFC, WMT, XOM, ZNGA
  • Removing Stock Prices From My Life [View article]
    Exactly, David.
    Mar 22 11:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Removing Stock Prices From My Life [View article]
    Thanks VerbalOats! Well put.
    Mar 22 11:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Removing Stock Prices From My Life [View article]
    True, Jeff. That's definitely the most straightforward way to do it.
    Mar 22 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Removing Stock Prices From My Life [View article]
    Thanks Cubeb. I agree.
    Mar 22 11:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Removing Stock Prices From My Life [View article]
    Sure. This tactic is mostly for research and looking at buy-in value.
    Mar 22 11:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Removing Stock Prices From My Life [View article]
    I like that thought process, Manifest.
    Mar 22 11:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Modern Dividend Theory Explained Part 1 [View article]
    David, of course you're right on. Thanks for breaking MDT down into such a straightforward guide. It looks like this is another article of yours I'm going to use as a reference page! What always strikes me as odd is that some folks don't recognize the "legitimacy" of MDT. I mean, we all understand what total returns are, even if that's not what we're aiming for. The theory of dividend growth investing has always struck me as equally straightforward, even if it comes in different flavors. And retirees (as well as everyone else) need income, so it makes sense that that might be a primary goal for some investors.

It's always fun to preach to the choir.

-Tim
    Mar 22 06:57 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Measuring The Dividend Growth Of Undercover Superstocks [View article]
    As for the "nice and to the point" part, I recently read something that said that people start skimming around the ~800 word mark. So I'm experimenting with shorter articles to see if they're better received. So we'll see how that goes.

Shakespeare said something about brevity being the soul of wit, right?
    Mar 22 07:05 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Measuring The Dividend Growth Of Undercover Superstocks [View article]
    Thanks jcirafic. I appreciate that.

PS I just reread my article and I apologize for the line "And yes, there is something you can learn from this evaluation." I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I guess I'll chalk it up to one of those times when tone doesn't translate well onto the page. Just thought I'd throw that out there, because it stuck out like a sore thumb when I read it.

This debate is most critical, I think, when it comes to Roth IRAs. Let's say you want to invest $5,000 into AT&T this year, and $5,000 into Becton Dickinson this year. Which $5,000 do you put into the Roth? (I'm sure some wisecracker will say, 'Hedge your bets and put $2,500 each.') But regardless, I'm not sure I have the answer to that yet.

But anyway, I'm glad you like it. It's crazy to think I only have two more weeks of classes...
    Mar 22 07:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Portfolio For Do It Yourselfers: A Winning Combination Of DG Stocks [View article]
    Hey Stephen, I can write all you want, but when it comes to website design, I'm about as proficient as the elderly gentleman at the nursing home who touches the computer screen to "get it to go".
    Mar 21 04:48 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I couldn't resist. I originally wanted my confirmation name to be Ignatius (after St. Ignatius of Loyola), mostly so I could be Timothy Ignatius McAleenan and claim the initials T-I-M.

But David has its fair share of rewards. You get to slay Goliath (maybe the, 'what? people invest for income mostly?' crowd), and I hear Bathsheba ain't too bad either.
    Mar 20 11:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Whoops. Only read Stephen's first post about changing our names to David (which really is my middle name).

Just read the investment club post. I'm so in.
    Mar 20 11:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I can't believe I've been holding out on the Davids with this secret, but I suppose the time has come...would you guys believe me if I told you that my confirmation name is David?

-Timothy Michael David McAleenan Jr.
    Mar 20 11:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    David, I'm glad to hear you're long Johnson & Johnson. The way I see it is this: Remember that Warren Buffett quote about a ham sandwich one day running a company? Well, that's how Weldon had been running the company (recall after recall after recall), and yet the earnings have still grown every year. If we can get 5-8% annual growth out of the company with moderately inept management, then imagine what happens when intelligent folks are calling the shots. That's a testament to the strength of the underlying earnings power, in my opinion. The way I see it, the stagnating share price of Johnson & Johnson lately makes it built for dollar cost averaging via DRIPs.

But more importantly, congrats on the success with stocks!! Funny how the DGI investors tend to get the total returns too, although they rarely brag about it.
    Mar 20 05:47 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Business Model For A Dividend Growth Investor [View article]
    Hey David. Excellent article. Great look at the big picture.

One question that I had for you is this: What vehicles do you hold most of your money in? Are they just retirement accounts and regular brokerage accounts, or do you do anything else? One thing I've been really curious about lately is reducing liability, and I was wondering if there are certain ways to structure holdings so that I wouldn't lose it all in a lawsuit when I spill coffee on a lady at McDonalds...
    Mar 20 04:23 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment