Timothy McIntosh

View Timothy McIntosh's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Energy: A Compelling Sector To Own [View article]
    Thanks Retired Colonel for finding my chart useful. For hhabana & Paulo, my favorite energy ETFs are the iShares S&P Global Energy (IXC), Vanguard Energy (VTE), and SPDR S&P International Health Care Sector (http://bit.ly/XtutoJ). You want exposure to international energy firms, so a combination of all three ETFs would accomplish this goal.
    Oct 26, 2012. 10:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Energy: A Compelling Sector To Own [View article]
    Thanks rjj1960 for your comments. I recommend you consider owning several large oil firms for diversification purposes. XOM and RDS.A happen to be two of my favorites. I don't recommend investors utilize put buying and selling strategies unless they are very sophisticated and can withstand substantial capital losses. My articles are meant for long term buy and hold investors.
    Oct 25, 2012. 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zimmer: A Strong Player In The Medical Device Industry [View article]
    Thanks Beta_Adjusted for the comments. I don't follow companies south of $10 billion market cap, so I have not looked at Nobel or Sonova. Good notes on ZMH's kickback scandal. I did not cover this aspect as it was several years ago. Price pressure on the industry will continue to mount, but I feel ZMH's leadership position and strong dividend growth will continue to make it a solid investment selection.
    Oct 25, 2012. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Key Recession Indicators [View article]
    No official backtesting done on these indicators as I have done on sector performance. I'll take a look.
    Sep 13, 2012. 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Key Recession Indicators [View article]
    Good comments and questions. AdBug, the velocity of money has been declining for almost a decade, and the Baltic Dry collapsed early 2012, and has not recovered. I think these are weaker indicators that my favored six and have less correlation to the markets in particular. Rocknj, debt is a big problem, it just is not showing up in these indicators yet, as I think Congress will put together a compromise once the election is settled. Although I am optimistic until end of year, I do think 2013 will likely show a economic retracement. OilFinder, I will take a look at the tax receipts, interesting concept for another indicator.
    Sep 11, 2012. 08:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 6 Key Recession Indicators [View article]
    KISSinvestor,

Yes, I would be glad to provide regular updates to my favored economic indicators. Thanks for the feedback.

TM
    Sep 11, 2012. 09:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Zimmer: A Strong Player In The Medical Device Industry [View article]
    Thanks for all the comments. Gary, I should have listed my preference for price/sales or SPS in the article. Sales are harder to manipulate and top line revenue is always a key for my evaluations. I won't always prefer SPS. For example, for financial stocks I prefer Price/Book ratio. For the Prognoticator, yes Zimmer does have exposure to China. However, it is a small percentage of revenue at present. China is more a long term play for Zimmer. My analysis of Zimmer and my price target was based upon it increasing sales primarily in the U.S. market.

For gfinnegan98, yes Stryker is very popular with many doctors for their knee products. However, you can ask many other physicians and they would prefer Zimmer. Stryker is also a solid investment selection, however I prefer Zimmer as it trades at a lower valuation, has greater future dividend growth potential, and has a larger market share in both knees and hips than Stryker.

Thanks,
    Tim
    Sep 5, 2012. 09:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Healthcare: The New Value Sector [View article]
    You should only buy the HGHAX if you can buy the A shares no load through Schwab, Fidelity, etc. Yes, the Hartford fund is more expensive than category at 1.49% expense ratio, but I like the subadvisor Wellington. Wellington managers are bottoms up, contrarian investment advisors that follow a similar philosophy to my own.
    Sep 5, 2012. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Healthcare: The New Value Sector [View article]
    My recommendations for healthcare exposure through funds would be the Ishares Global Healthcare (IXJ) or through regular active mutual funds like Vanguard Healthcare (VGHCX) or Hartford Healthcare (HGHAX). All three have international exposure to the healthcare sector, which I recommend.
    Sep 4, 2012. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment