Timothy O'Rourke

View Timothy O'Rourke's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 2 Dividend Aristocrats Go Ex-Dividend This Week [View article]
    Thanks for all of that info Charles!
    Dec 10 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Dividend Aristocrats Go Ex-Dividend This Week [View article]
    After some more digging, you are right. The article I read had a typo and said the payable date and date of record were the same thing. The day of record is the 17th of December and the Ex-Dividend date is the 15th.
    Dec 10 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Dividend Aristocrats Go Ex-Dividend This Week [View article]
    You are correct; TROW declared a a special $1.00 dividend with an Ex-Dividend date of December 26th.

Thanks for your input!
    Dec 9 02:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Dividend Aristocrats Go Ex-Dividend This Week [View article]
    Thanks,great catch! I missed that news release.
    Dec 9 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 8 Dividend Aristocrats Go Ex-Dividend This Week, Part 1 [View article]
    MaxPSA,
    You are correct. I apologize for the typos. Hopefully the information being conveyed mad it through.
    Dec 3 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Very Cheap Stocks Hiding In Plain Sight [View article]
    Perhaps I am misunderstanding something, but Google Finance has El Paso's P/E listed as 1000. What am I missing here?
    Jan 20 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When's the Right Time to Sell Apple? [View article]
    I must say Nicu, you are right. I am shocked that there was not more of a Steve Jobs factor in the stock. Perhaps I should just start buying...
    Aug 25 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When's the Right Time to Sell Apple? [View article]
    WSP,

As far as understanding the markets...aren't you the guy you was instructing me how to play the markets like you played poker as a professional poker player? I think you said something like "you have to guess what the other players at the table are holding..."

If this is someone else, you have my apologies.
    Aug 25 08:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When's the Right Time to Sell Apple? [View article]
    Nicu,

There must be a lot of blind squirrels that have taken advantage of a sad event (writing about Steve Jobs resignation).

Anyway, thank you for the reasons why Apple are so favorable. Again I agree that based solely on the numbers Apple's a great buy (especially after a pullback)and have even mentioned that above. I do not think the markets act solely based on numbers though. I also do not think those numbers guaranty future success.
    Aug 25 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When's the Right Time to Sell Apple? [View article]
    WallStreetpete,

Thank you for admiring my enthusiasm. While my article's numbers were old, they were used to show that Apple's fast increase in sale/net income would be hard to replicate over time. The newer number lead to the same conclusion.

I pointed out three things that I thought could affect Apple's price. One will affect it today.

As for back up to my point, I would show the futures contracts that have apple down 4.5-5.0%. That equals about 52 billion dollars, according to SA editor Yigal Grayeff.
    Aug 25 08:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When's the Right Time to Sell Apple? [View article]
    Nicu,

You are right, there is no way to know what will happen tomorrow. I also think that you analysis of Apple today was great. Thank you! I have a couple of questions about the numbers, but all in all, I thought it was very well done. If you have the time, would you mind filling us in on how the numbers were gathered and put together. A materials and methods section of your paper, if you will.

What I do not understand, and tried to address in this article, is the Apple-mania that some investors feel for this company. It is a great company, no doubt. But I really do not understand why you would call me a blind squirrel for saying people should remember why they invested in this stock and to sell it when that objective is met, like all other investments? Maybe that did not come out in my original article, but that was what I was attempting to say.

I would also agree that a pullback would be a great time to buy. With a p/e around 11 value investors might even start jumping in. I would wait a couple of days to let the dust settle though.

Others, not just me, have now said that "the glorious growth days at Apple may well be over" but as you said no one know what will happen tomorrow. To read that article on Marketwatch go to www.marketwatch.com/st....

I really do hope you all fair well with Apple. As you can read above people who have commented on this article have millions invested.
    Aug 24 10:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When's the Right Time to Sell Apple? [View article]
    Hi all,

Just thought I would talk a little about the point that no one commented on last week when I published this piece. That Steve Jobs retiring would at the least cause volatility for the short term.

You all have pointed out that the numbers I found online were not the latest, and that rare earths would not cause as much of an impact as I thought it might. Very good points, one and all.

The point of this article was that people should remember the reasons why they invested in Apple and sell when those objectives were met. I then pointed to three hurtles Apple would have to face, in my opinion.

Hope everyone's investments fair well tomorrow.
    Aug 24 07:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Approaching $2,000 [View article]
    While Apple and Google pay no dividends, each share is a piece of a business that produces income, something each investor has a proportionate share of. That is what people are paying for with each stock. Last I checked, gold was not being used for the properties you mentioned, dreadlordnaf.
    Aug 23 11:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gold Approaching $2,000 [View article]
    Got a quick question for all you pundits at SA. I do not understand investing in gold. It seems to me like a "bigger suckers" game. You buy gold and hope to find a "bigger sucker" who will pay more for it than you did so you make a profit.

Warren Buffet once said that if aliens ever land on the earth and see what we do with gold they would think we are crazy. We dig it up over here, buy it, and put it in a room over there. We never do anything with it.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on this...

Tim
    Aug 23 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Most Mutual Funds May Be for Fish: DFA's Funds Aren't [View article]
    Hi YoureAclown,

I would agree with you if I was only going to short the companies in the IWN that had obvious problems by a share. Perhaps I did not say that clearly, I think I did say I would go into that more in the future though.

My point is the IWN's return can be increased by shorting companies that fundamentally do not add up to their stock price similarly to the way that DFA only purchases the stocks it "likes" with its money. Please stay in touch to see how the portfolio turns out, I am sure you will let me know if you were "someone who knows what they're takig about. ;)
    Aug 22 06:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment