View as an RSS Feed
View Toby Shute's Articles BY TICKER:
Bad News Is Good News For Tetra Tech
- Tetra Tech shares are off sharply following an earnings miss, driven by the company's least reliable and lowest-margin Remediation and Construction Management segment.
- Management has initiated a strategic and operational evaluation of this business, which could range from selling off certain non-core projects to shuttering the entire segment.
- Near-term action on this problem segment will improve the overall profile of the business beginning in FY2015. This is likely to drive a revaluation of the shares.
Make Money From Mr. Market's Mercurial Moods
- The day's top % decliners on major exchanges can be a fertile hunting ground for mispricings.
- Competition in this area is lower compared to some popular "special situations" strategies that have gotten crowded.
- Buying big decliners at random will not produce reliable profits, making the approach inappropriate for novice investors or simple mechanical strategies. Diligence and sound judgment are required.
- A Spin-Off That Went Sour
- Chesapeake's Moves Bolster Its Credibility
- Ensco, Pride Merger: A Match Made in Heaven
- Suncor's Getting Back on Track
- Anadarko Petroleum's Remarkable Rebound
- Samson Oil & Gas Stock's Gotten Ahead of Itself
- Deepwater Rig Building Boom: Competition May Leave Casualties
- Chesapeake Produces Another Promising Partnership, This Time With CNOOC
- Helmerich & Payne Shows Why It's Good to Be a Land Driller
- World Running Out of Oil? Fact Checking Jim Rogers
- Hyperdynamics Takes a Hyperdive; A Lesson in Intelligent Speculation
- Eagle Ford Shale: Breaking It Down
- Despite Gulf Woes, Offshore Driller Stocks Have Upside Potential
- What's Behind Samson's Spike?
- Stop Hyperventilating Over Hyperdynamics
- Opportunities in Oil and Gas: Look for Ugly Businesses, Orphaned Stocks, And Unloved Spin-Offs
- E&P Stocks: What a Difference a Well Makes
- An Acquisition Frenzy in Apparel
- Chesapeake Hedges Nearly All Expected 2011 Gas Production to Reduce Debt
- Range Resources Looks Promising for 2011
- ATP Oil & Gas: Where I Went Wrong
- Why Is Petrohawk Selling So Much Stuff?
- Chesapeake in the Crosshairs
- 3 International Energy Deals Kick Off the Week
- 4 Bold Energy Predictions for 2011
- Carl Icahn: This Corporate Raider Hasn't Lost His Touch
- Oil Containment Equipment in the Spotlight Is Good News for Helix Shareholders
- 101 Reasons Today's Market Appears Overheated
- How the Heck Did I Miss This 10-Bagger?
- Occidental Petroleum: A Very Significant Shale Player