Toby Shute

View Toby Shute's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Reading Books In 2014 [View instapost]
    The Baroque library hall inside the Klementinum is another awesome one in Prague. I did not want to leave.
    Jan 22 08:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reading Books In 2014 [View instapost]
    I'm reading Wm. Poundstone's Priceless. Unlike Fortune's Formula, it's less of a narrative and more a series of vignettes, but it is awesome. There's a lot of Kahneman/Tversky, so might be duplicative effort for those who have read Thinking, Fast and Slow already.
    Jan 15 03:14 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stop Hyperventilating Over Hyperdynamics [View article]
    Doing OK, Jeep! It's been a while. My current position doesn't afford me the opportunity to write for public consumption. I certainly miss the engagement with the polite portion of my readership, and the opportunity to help people avoid losing money on overhyped speculative stocks like this. As for trolls like jt, can't say I miss them! And I never did receive my payment from The League of Evil Short Sellers who instructed me to write this article. Or any article with a negative or cautionary slant, for that matter.

I enjoyed reading your updated bio. Hope you're doing well.
    Oct 13 03:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stop Hyperventilating Over Hyperdynamics [View article]
    Ah, memories.
    Oct 11 04:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Measuring Weight Watchers' Wide Moat [View article]
    Apologies if I missed this in the comments, but you seem to use market cap as the denominator in your CFROI calculations. I think you want an invested capital figure there instead, as the market's opinion of WTW's equity value has little to do with the capital invested in the business (i.e. amount spent on working capital, PP&E, franchise buyouts, etc.). Not that this affects your thesis, as I'm guessing this method would show high and stable CFROIs as well. Thanks for the article.
    Oct 7 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lazy/efficient Blogger Seeking Help [View instapost]
    How do you like BZ for a bump candidate?

Oct 3 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Computer Services Is An Attractive LBO Candidate With No Analyst Coverage [View article]
    A true OTC blue chip. This company was my application to the Value Investor's Club back in 2009, at ~$12 split-adjusted. They didn't bite. Of course, there were tons of compelling alternatives at the time.
    Sep 28 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Polar Petroleum, Frozen [View article]
    One would think the fines generated by nailing these pump and dump operators would more than cover the extra overhead required to ramp up SEC enforcement. Doesn't exactly require a Harry Markopolos to sniff these things out.
    Jun 11 03:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Something Big Hits The Oil Markets - Starting Tomorrow [View article]
    I dressed up as that Norman Rockwell character for Halloween this year. No one got it.
    Nov 7 03:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Renaissance Era Coming For Xerox [View article]
    Delian: XRX issued the $1.1B in debt to pre-fund a maturity of the same amount coming due in May 2012.

Valueplay: The share count is up because of the huge ACS acquisition, funded partially with stock. From FY2004 to FY2009, the company reduced its share count at a decent clip. This year's ~$1B buyback is more aggressive.
    Apr 24 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nuclear Power: Doubling Down on a Rebirth [View article]
    Hey Dividend,

There was a little something called Fukushima in the interim. This has created more than a little uncertainty about the outlook for Shaw Group and everyone else in the nuclear industry. It appears the South Texas Project is dead. Several European countries are scaling back or outright canceling their nuclear newbuild programs. It seems China and others are undeterred. If you believe there is no future for nuclear, then SHAW is in a bad spot. I am not nearly that bearish, but I don't have a position in the stock (never have) and am not following it closely enough at this point to make any comment on the stock price.
    Dec 2 09:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Xerox Transforms Itself Into A Strong Buy [View article]
    This subset of long-suffering investors like davidbdc is a major contributor to the opportunity in "lost decade" large cap stocks like XRX.
    Sep 15 11:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2010 Oil Story: Drawing Down the Inventories [View article]
    Update posted to the Economist story:

"The authors of the BP report have asked us to highlight that a large part of the difference between consumption and production, in the charts above, is accounted for by such things as biofuels, oil made from coal and other non-conventional sources, which are not included in their production figures."
    Jun 11 03:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Commentary on Northern Oil & Gas: A Short Retort - All Smoke, No Gun [View article]
    Hey guys. I left TMF in mid-Feb to take a consulting position w/ an investment firm based in Dallas. So I'm doing that on a full-time basis for the foreseeable future.
    Apr 8 04:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Good one, Zman. Would have written a similar rebuttal myself if I were still penning articles.
    Apr 4 10:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment