Todd Campbell

View Todd Campbell's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple's Retail Headache [View article]
    Batman, Thanks for reading and commenting. Innovation remains key to maintain/re-exert accelerating growth. I agree, a physical Apple TV would do that handily. Typically, stock prices follow earnings over time, which shifts investor focus to earnings growth and margins. Unfortunately, Apple has faced rising component costs and as I highlight in this piece, higher retail operations costs; both of which are weighing down earnings. I'm cautiously optimistic, as you'll note in my last line of the article, such a readjustment to Apple's new normal has already happened.
    Feb 8, 2013. 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Retail Headache [View article]
    rperson, Thanks for reading and your comment. As you'll notice in the disclosure, I'm long Apple, not short. My intent in this article is to highlight the margin erosion at the segment, the leadership revolving door and the weight lower margins are exerting on EPS growth and potential impacts on the stock.
    Feb 8, 2013. 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Retail Headache [View article]
    Thanks Bob for reading and your comment. As a former retail operations manager, I know all to well the conflict between margin and service, particularly in a public company. The choice of their next leader will go a long way to helping investors understand whether the focus will be bean counting (such as the choice of Mr. Browett) or customer service (which arguably Mr. Johnson advocated).
    Feb 8, 2013. 11:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's Retail Headache [View article]
    Roy, Thanks for reading and your comment. It's an interesting theory. The company has 75% of its stores being built outside the U.S.; which may suggest it feels its saturated effectively here; aside from the one of locations its adding. If so, it's unlikely they'll be able to keep the average store revenue levels they've maintained, given those numbers will be diluted by adding stores to smaller markets.
    Feb 8, 2013. 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm's Bet On 28 Pays Off [View article]
    That is very interesting on royalty payments! Thanks for posting. I do wonder, even if content is limited to basebands/power amps, if Apple's impact may be a bit higher simply because of share/unit volume driven chip demand. From a chip perspective, its great to see so many of the top selling devices rely on snapdragon and gobi chips.
    Feb 6, 2013. 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm's Bet On 28 Pays Off [View article]
    Alpine, Thanks for reading. I do believe we are entering a period where pricing power is shifting from the OEM's to the semi makers. If I'm correct, this trend would also benefit BRCM.
    -Todd
    Feb 5, 2013. 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Homebuilders: An Opportunity To Buy May Come In February [View article]
    I'm a big fan of TOL. In fact, I'm a big fan of the entire industry. :-)
    Feb 1, 2013. 09:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Upgrades Semi Equipment Stocks [View article]
    @ephud thanks for replying and for your comments. Do you have any feel for where fab-less chip makers are currently focusing design attention?
    Jan 25, 2013. 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Upgrades Semi Equipment Stocks [View article]
    Great comments with value add. Thanks for reading.
    Jan 21, 2013. 12:28 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Searches For Profits [View article]
    There is a fair amount of "art" in valuing growth companies. And, stocks such as Facebook, CRM and others often trade at multiples which would make a value investor shudder. In my opinion, I would not be shocked to see shares in the mid 30's at some point this year and mid $40's next year. Currently, FB is trading roughly at par with LNKD on market cap/annualized Q3 sales. I think trading FB on technicals will be more profit friendly than using valuation models. The key will be if FB can get back to 40%-50% revenue growth. We'll know more soon!
    Jan 19, 2013. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook Searches For Profits [View article]
    I think the upcoming EPS report will show 1. more mobile engagement 2. more ads placed and 3. more ad revenue. While this stock may prove a fad, or a long term hold, is unknown. But, for now it seems to be suggesting tailwinds rather than headwinds.
    Jan 17, 2013. 12:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Order Cuts Don't Tell The Whole Story [View article]
    Very good point sonicted
    Jan 16, 2013. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Order Cuts Don't Tell The Whole Story [View article]
    Barn AI, that's very intriguing. I love new insights and hadn't seen this previously. Do you have a source link to share?
    Jan 16, 2013. 08:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Believe Housing Is For Real, This 6% Yield Play May Make Sense [View article]
    I understand your sentiment @kata. However, you might find it helpful to review the sales data, available here: http://1.usa.gov/OHU8I6 It's updated monthly. Skilled workers have a much lower unemployment rate and those having started families since 2007 are finding it increasingly attractive to buy homes rather than rent.
    Jan 15, 2013. 08:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment