Todd Johnson

View Todd Johnson's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Calumet's 7.4% Growing Dividend Yield Is On My Watch List [View article]
    Hi Materials,

I love Mr. Faber. There will be a day of reckoning. We don't have any younger Faber's to follow. The folks with experience on what happens when a country prints money.

Todd
    Oct 11 09:33 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Year Proven Dividend Income Machine For Retirees [View article]
    Hi auto44, great question. Since the government isn't addressing any 2012 fiscal issues as a SOP - I would say 10,000 mind readers can't figure out the MLP tax implications.

The MLP taxes are based, however, on return of capital - and that aspect can't change without significant changes to the tax code.

Todd
    Jul 29 10:04 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10.20% Proven Oil Dividend Yield For Retirees [View article]
    Aschroed, thanks. Line is the #1 name in upstream. EPD is top dog in the midstream. Both great names. TJ
    Jul 20 09:55 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Start Of The 2012 End Game Is Upon Us [View article]
    James, terrific insights. Glad to read your commentary. It's like finding an umbrella on a rainy day. :)

Todd
    Jun 25 11:05 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Income Investors: 3 Stocks To Buy And 1 To Avoid [View article]
    Hi buyandhold2012,

I have never met a financial advisor I would trust.

Buffett, Munger, Mason @ Longleaf, Peter Lynch, Seth Klarman all have provided great info over the years. TJ
    May 6 11:44 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Not Selling In May And Going Away [View article]
    HI Wayne,

I've watched oil plummet to mid $30's twice in the past 12 years. That is painful to watch. I go where the money is. I prefer debt free companies, non cyclical business models, and stable companies, and boring. At the end of the day, the results have to be there for me.

I invest in catalysts -- COP spinoff play -- and avoid falling knives or buy protection (e.g., protective puts). As long as one is consistent with their investment strategy - and its effective like yours - then we come out on top.

Thanks for the feedback. TJ
    Apr 26 11:48 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Not Selling In May And Going Away [View article]
    Hi Wayne,

Wall Street has become a cookie cutter approach for everybody. Bogleheads, SP500 comparisons, etc. Individual investors can think for themselves. :) I say how about a) sell when it's opportune to take a profit, or b) take a loss because my investment thesis was wrong. TJ
    Apr 26 11:30 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Not Selling In May And Going Away [View article]
    Good morning Sie,

Great question. I'll bet there is. The sad point is there are probably people who really do sell in May and then try to get back in. :) Money matters, finance should be taught in elementary through high school. Silly saying offers little value to investors who need finance during their adult life. :)

Now that you asked that question, I'll bet an ETF is announced with exactly the stocks that are counter-cyclical to the sell in May rule. :)

TJ
    Apr 26 08:52 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Not Selling In May And Going Away [View article]
    HI Archman, awesome to hear from you. You are correct. This week the government announces Social Security will be belly up in 20 years. I wonder how many impacted folks realize that issue....Reliance upon cute phrases and government handouts aren't always golden. TJ http://bit.ly/5BsyVl
    Apr 26 07:50 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Not Selling In May And Going Away [View article]
    Good morning musi, I don't like many ING closed end funds. They don't maintain their net asset value: http://yhoo.it/IeHYSS IRR is no exception: price goes down, dividend goes down: http://yhoo.it/Ib3KrV

TJ
    Apr 26 07:44 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Winning And Losing Stocks Due To Low Natural Gas Prices [View article]
    Hi Blue - I love devil's advocate views. I agree with your view. I want to be a buyer of these equities. The mild winter has built up the natural gas inventories. Improved technology has created a situation where more nat gas can be retrieved than ever before.

I would like to see the U.S. promote natural gas (e.g, transportation) versus paying $100/barrel to the middle east for their oil.

I am building a list of natural gas stocks to buy when summer approaches. Natural gas will bottom at some point; enough investors will throw in the towels; and I want to buy these names (SJT, HGT) at cheap levels. TJ
    Apr 24 09:10 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Proven 15% Dividend Stocks For Energizing Your Portfolio [View article]
    Hi turk, I'm not interested in NLY. TJ
    Apr 19 08:16 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mortgage REITs Thrive With 16.6% Yields [View article]
    Hi Stuart, I missed the questions.

If you read my articles, I think the answer has been explained 1,000 times. mREITs are not long term holds. One sells when rates are going up. Rates are going down. We are in a deflationary environment. Ray Dalio's recent paper is a great read.

When rates go up, sell.

When oil prices go down, sell oil stocks.

Basic actions. Does that answer the questions?

TJ
    Apr 10 10:44 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Offers An Eye-Opening 14% Dividend Yield [View article]
    Hi Albert,

I've held a relatively small NLY position for awhile. I don't trade mREITs, so daily fluctuations are insignificant to me. They had a secondary on Feb 1st. They are yielding 15.3% and trading under book value as an agency mREIT. Everything is 100% straight forward. :)

Reasons not to own (those who follow my forum writings know, but just in summary): 1) on many time comparisons - NLY falls flat on its face; 2) Michael is sick and I don't know how this impacts NLY going forward; 3) NLY is stretched thin with all of t heir moving parts; 4) I think NLY & CIM fired the auditors all because of the junk paper CIM has on their books.

TJ
    Mar 23 10:43 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Retiree Dividend Stocks, 3 Others To Avoid [View article]
    03.16.2012

My $PER cost basis is $18. I sold at prices approaching $25 earlier this week, and it's documented. Assuming a $6.75 gain in less than a year - that is a 37.5% profit (simple apr). $6.75 is almost 3-years of $PER dividends.

Others may prefer to wait 3 years for the distributions - I prefer to lock profits now & not wait for 3-years. Capital will be redeployed. Rinse & repeat is my goal.

TJ