Tom Evslin

View Tom Evslin's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Decline In Financial And Government Sectors Is Good For The Economy [View article]
    Mexcom:

I don't pretend this is reporting; it is editorial comment based on reporting others have done. It is clearly my opinion and my analysis of news.
    Jan 15 08:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everything Is Shovel-Ready In China [View article]
    IMHO the government SHOULD apply the same regulations to itself that it does to private business - and both need reform.

1. all permits should be given or denied within two years of application.
    2. Once a permit is granted, those who delay a project illegally should unconditionally be responsible for the cost of delay and those who seek to delay projects legally should have to post a bond for delay costs, such bond to be forfeit if they lose.

more at http://bit.ly/vUQHyh
    Nov 15 09:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • When Financial Regulation Is Justified [View article]
    I owned Lehman debt that I had a loss on. I deserved that. But you have a point that shareholders did pay even though management and counterparties didn't. Any idea why we don't do a better job of governance as shareholders?
    Nov 3 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • America's Coming Industrial Revival [View article]
    1. fracking for both oil and gas
    2. new nuclear
    3. new off-shore oil finds
    4. increased use of coal
    5. deployment of solar when and if and where it can match the other sources in price
    Sep 11 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • America's Coming Industrial Revival [View article]
    Good point, Joe. Historically energy prices go down and not up and are a huge component of progress. Despite shortterm blips, I don't think that trend is reversing.
    Sep 8 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Good Federal Moves For The Economy [View article]
    change is hard:-} Especially when you don't say what you're changing from or to. I wouldn't draw many longterm conclusions from these four actions; but they are helpful to the company in themselves.
    Sep 8 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bad News for Investment Banks; Good News for the Rest of Us [View article]
    Levin70:

I hope the ECB doesn't channel Ben Bernanke - for their sake. I believe the Lehman failure would have been averted if Bear Stearns had been allowed to fail. I think it WAS good policy to let Lehman fail - even though I still hold some greatly devalued Lehman debt. I think we got panicked into TARP with thinking like that in your comment. The unintended consequences of that may be the end of capitalism as we know it since government must regulate that which it supports.
    Jun 8 07:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Bill: The Wrong Way to Get the Right Result [View article]
    SubsidyEye:

I did coin the term but a Google search shows that other people did as well.

Thanks.
    May 23 08:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Bill: The Wrong Way to Get the Right Result [View article]
    Look at the size of the opportunity for cutting the deficit!
    Apr 28 02:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Bill: The Wrong Way to Get the Right Result [View article]
    The government didn't subsidize the spread of gas stations needed for cars - but they did spread. One model - and it's only one model - is that major NGproducers franchise to local operators, hardly rocket science.

Yes, investment is required. Every investment doesn't require a government subsidy.
    Apr 28 02:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas Bill: The Wrong Way to Get the Right Result [View article]
    Natural gas has hugely favorable economics without a subsidy. If T. Boone and other providers would put their business sense to work on how to get their potential customers to convert rather than on how to get the govment to make it all work, we'd get a faster conversion IMHO and would avoid distorting the economics.
    Apr 28 02:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If We're Exiting Fannie and Freddie, Let's Eliminate Federal Wealth Insurance [View article]
    Ironist:

I think the answer is NOT to pay greenmail to anti-nuke people rather than to use subsidies to reimburse the builders for the price of regulatory delay. More at blog.tomevslin.com/201...
    Feb 16 07:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Natural Gas Disrupts the Energy Industry [View article]
    Reasonable proactive regulation of fracking makes sense - not hysterical after-the-fact over-reaction as in the case of the Gulf spill. But it's very hard to give credence to claims that the injection of "chemicals" a mile under the surface and in impermeable shale causes damage to ground water on the surface. The water wells and the gas wells just aren't in the same place vertically.
    Jan 20 08:30 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Between Verizon and AT&T, Who Wins if Sprint Survives? We Do [View article]
    I'm delighted to see so many favorable comments on Sprint. As I said in the post, it's important to all of us - not just to their investors or even their customers that they survive and prosper. Their coverage is slight in Vermont but I'm glad to hear it's better in other parts of the company; I do have confidence in their management.

Disclosure: I don't own any at&t, Verizon, or Sprint.

It's tough being number 3. On the other hand, there's lots of upside. Thanks for the comments.
    Jan 13 09:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment