Tom Kametz

View Tom Kametz's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Acadian Timber Is A Buy [View article]
    It looks like Acadian just changed the accounting method of the book value of their timberlands from historical value to market value. All the U.S. Timber companies must use historical value.
    Apr 25, 2015. 01:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Silver Lining In Rayonier's Decreasing Return On Equity [View article]
    I think there is still too much noise in RYN's numbers from the spin off to make any sense of your numbers yet. Also, as I've stated in my previous articles, quarter to quarter numbers don't mean much in the timber industry due to allot of seasonality in the business.
    Jan 14, 2015. 03:36 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rayonier's Mea Culpa Creates Long Opportunity [View article]
    Ditto to all!
    Nov 26, 2014. 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rayonier's Mea Culpa Creates Long Opportunity [View article]
    If it's a stand or strata inventory, you could assume each stand or strata would be +- 10% or so. If you then combine all of the stands or strata, you have more plots and the SE goes down to the 2-5% I mentioned. Statistics can be fun!
    Nov 17, 2014. 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rayonier's Mea Culpa Creates Long Opportunity [View article]
    There does seem to be allot of lawyers queuing up, we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I know Dave Nunes, the new CEO, and have full confidence in him. I think he will do very well by the company.
    Nov 17, 2014. 10:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Rayonier's Mea Culpa Creates Long Opportunity [View article]
    These are usually internal issues, however, this one affected the depletion for 1st and 2nd quarter in a material way.
    Nov 15, 2014. 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rayonier's Mea Culpa Creates Long Opportunity [View article]
    Non-strategic timberlands does not mean HBU real estate properties. It means timberland, not HBU.

We will have to wait and see what happens with the dividend.

2%-3% growth is on the conservative side.
    Nov 15, 2014. 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rayonier's Mea Culpa Creates Long Opportunity [View article]
    Yes, I did not even count the HBU in this example. Plus, St Joe's was low site heavily cut lands.
    Nov 15, 2014. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • State Of The Timber REITs 2014 [View article]
    I'm looking into RYN now, will write something soon.
    Nov 11, 2014. 10:03 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weyerhaeuser moving headquarters to Seattle [View news story]
    No 60% is in the South
    Sep 24, 2014. 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Weyerhaeuser moving headquarters to Seattle [View news story]
    It would make more sense if they moved to Atlanta or some point South.
    Aug 28, 2014. 11:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Plum Creek Timber Is A Hold [View article]
    LPX is a forest products company rather than a timber company so it is not a good compatible to PCL. Also, WY has sawmills and pulpmills so it is a little different than PCL. Also, WY still has some noise in its numbers from its 2010 REIT conversion, and the recent sale of its home building division.
    Jul 18, 2014. 03:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividends Do Matter - Especially In Retirement [View article]
    The way I look at it is that I invest in a company to be a partial owner. The dividend is my share of the profits.
    Jul 18, 2014. 08:16 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CatchMark Timber Trust: The Newest Timber REIT [View article]
    It been about six months, I'm not sure the froth is out yet. I'm not familiar with Arborgen but it looks like maybe MWV old genetics program is trying to go it alone?
    Jul 13, 2014. 09:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rayonier's CEO Is Jumping Ship To Its Spin-Off - Should You? [View article]
    In the call about RYAM, they said the dividend would be in the 1 to 2 percent range. I would expect RYN to be 3 - 4 percent.
    Jun 19, 2014. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment