Tom Konrad, CFA

View Tom Konrad, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Potemkin Parking Lot: Related Party Transactions And Questionable Revenue Recognition At Kandi Technologies [View article]
    Art, if you really want to counter this, why don't you provide evidence that thousands or tens of thousands of people are actually using ZZY's car share services every day? After all, Potemkin parking lots can win awards- what they can't do is generate social media buzz from drivers. I hear Chinese microblogging sites are very active- do they show as much activity as twitter does for #zipcar? http://bit.ly/1BjMlmT
    Jan 27, 2015. 09:53 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Accell- the only way is to ask your broker.
    BGC- I wouldn't say I'm confident, but it seems like a good bet to me.
    Jan 15, 2015. 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Trasalta Renewables does not seem to have a DRIP, but if you can participate in Accell's, you definitely should, because they sell the DRIP shares at a discount. Accell does not call it a DRIP, though- instead they issue the dividend in cash or shares, at the shareholder's option, with the number of shares calculated based on a discount to an average market price. The announce the conversion ratio each year before issuing dividends.

The main difference is at the company level, not the investor level. The share option means that the number of shares outstanding grows each year, even without secondary offerings, so if you do not take your dividend in the form of shares, your percentage stake in the company falls over time. If you take your whole dividend in shares, your percentage stake grows, since only about 46% of dividends are issued as shares.
    Jan 14, 2015. 12:41 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Must depend on the broker, then. Which broker do you use?
    Jan 13, 2015. 11:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Quick Tools For Avoiding Loser Stocks, With 6 Examples [View article]
    I think most investors spend too much time thinking about the upside, and not enough about the downside. It's human nature. Hence any warning that pushes them away from risky stocks is for the good.

Your focus on the opportunities that may be missed because these tools might screen out big winners also misses the point... there are also big winners in the stocks that are not eliminated. There are hundreds of tiny stocks that are just as likely to be winners as KNDI and MVTG- is it also inexcusable that I'm ignoring them, just because I don't have some commenter on Seeking Alpha pestering me about them? If you really want me to do the in depth research you think is merited on either of your faves, I'll do it as soon as someone steps up and decides to pay me for my time. Until then, the only thing that's inexcusable is you belief that you're entitled to free research on the subject of your own choosing.

I can't write about all stocks, and my biggest losers in the past have been risky stocks like the ones you like. My biggest winners have been massively undervalued dividend payers. I'll stick to the latter, thanks.
    Jan 13, 2015. 11:22 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2015 [View article]
    Not sure it matters if New Flyer has a DRIP- most of the Canadian stocks I follow do, but US investors generally can't participate.
    Jan 13, 2015. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Quick Tools For Avoiding Loser Stocks, With 6 Examples [View article]
    No real news that I can tell. I did not expect it because I have been writing about PW for so long, but I think the recent recovery from its previously depressed levels has been mostly due to the inclusion in my 2015 list, and the fact that resolution (one way or another) to the civil case will probably happen in 2015.

PW is definitely one of my "small pond" stocks - like PENGF, I've been practically the only person writing about it, and no analysts follow it. This one is definitely higher risk than PENGF, although lower risk than something like AMSC.
    Jan 9, 2015. 10:09 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Quick Tools For Avoiding Loser Stocks, With 6 Examples [View article]
    Our differences here seem mostly philosophical. I don't like high risk situations, so my screen excludes them, even if they are high reward. My point is that this screen allows you to avoid spending a lot of time researching high risk situations. There will be a lot of false positives with this screen, but that's the point. I consider my most valuable asset research time, so I'm willing to accept missing a lot of high risk/ high reward situations in favor of low risk, moderate reward situations.
    Jan 9, 2015. 10:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lessons Learned From Our 3 Worst Performing Stocks Of 2014 [View article]
    I commend you for looking at and writing about your mistakes. The best way to learn from them, in my IMO. Because of its public nature, the writing part can be painful, but it helps us look at our mistakes from an outside perspective, with a degree of honesty that's difficult to achieve in private.

You do yourself credit.
    Jan 7, 2015. 11:07 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Quick Tools For Avoiding Loser Stocks, With 6 Examples [View article]
    That all depends on the nature of the stock and the industry, and it's not "quick" which is why I do not cover it here. There are lots of techniques, but mostly fall under the rubric of value investing. Since it requires real work, I apply these tools first so I don't waste my time on stocks where it does not matter.
    Jan 7, 2015. 03:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Appliance Recycling Centers Of America: An Estimation Of The Asset Value [View article]
    You're just being modest. Today's jump is your article. I've seen this happen many times with illiquid stocks such as this one. It does not always happen, but it does when you make a compelling case. Glad I owned the stock before you decided to write about it.
    Jan 7, 2015. 03:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Excellent article. I've owned ARCI for some time, and was wondering why it was up today. Now I clearly know why.

I've not been able to predict earnings, for myself, but I think they have a very unique business in appliance recycling services for utilities with a great moat, and I expect the opportunities in this niche to expand in coming years.
    Jan 7, 2015. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Quick Tools For Avoiding Loser Stocks, With 6 Examples [View article]
    I agree, that's a good screen to add.
    Jan 7, 2015. 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Quick Tools For Avoiding Loser Stocks, With 6 Examples [View article]
    If you read the whole thing, you'd know I consider "boring" a sign of a good investment. It goes for investment strategy as well.

Thanks!
    Jan 7, 2015. 11:05 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reorganization Stores Opportunity In This REIT [View article]
    Cap gains: The company bought bunch of publicly traded REITs when it started its transition to becoming a REIT itself. These appreciated (REITS are up a ton over the last couple years, so this is the source of the cap gains.) This also explains the growth in NAV- appreciation of publicly traded REITs as well as the self storage facilities it owns- part of this appreciation is due to investment, part due to improving market conditions.

I discuss the rights plan in the article- nothing new, they just keep renewing it.
    Jan 5, 2015. 11:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment