Tom Konrad

View Tom Konrad's Comments BY TICKER:
  • U.S. Geothermal Incorporated: A Long Term Possibility For The Patient Investor [View article]
    Guy,
    I can't speak for Behavioral Economist, but for myself I have many more ideas of articles than I have time to write them. The blogosphere is a democratic place. Rather than suggesting that we write articles, put your time and effort where your mouth is, and try writing your own. The money is lousy, but I'm sure you will find that the exercise is very useful when testing your investing ideas.

Seeking Alpha is a great place to start.
    Apr 10 12:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Holiday Shopping Deal On Ram Power Shares [View article]
    output has been raised, but if it's 56MW, that's still a problem.
    The geysers sale was good news, though - the cash should take the pressure off and give them time to do the remediation right.
    Apr 7 01:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ethical Investing And Philip Morris [View article]
    I'm glad you are taking moral considerations into your investing decisions, and that you, unlike JM, agree with me that by investing in PM, you're helping them "kill people voluntarily."
    Apr 4 09:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Power REIT's Preferred Stock Offering: A Hedge That Pays 7.75% [View article]
    Bottom-
    You have a few facts wrong.

- legal expenses not paid: Yes, PW is using Lesser's wife's law firm, which is a related party transaction, but one that has benefits to shareholders 1) the expenses are payable when PW has funds, not immediately like most legal expenses (as you noted) and 2) they are allowing Lesser to do a lot of the support work, reducing the expenses.

Who pays: This case was started by WLE/NSC to prevent PWV (the PW subsidiary which owns the rail) from foreclosing under the lease. That lease stipulates that the lessee will pay PWV's legal expenses nexessary to defend its interest in the property. If anyone is likely to pay the other party's legal expenses, it is the lessees (NSC and WLE)

- Settlement: I doubt Lesser would take "a few million", although I think he might settle for the settlement account balance and legal expenses - more like $19-$20 million. NSC and WLE have not made any moves towards settling at this point, they are waiting on the verdict, then they settle if it does not go their way (As opposed to appealing.) Note that I have only a guess as to what he'd be willing to settle for, not any real information. If I had real information, I would not be writing about it here as it might give NSC and WLE an advantage in settlement negotiations.

- The preferred is currently trading. Ticker is PW-PA on Yahoo Finance. It's been trading since Mar 19th. About 8-10 thousand shares traded so far, mostly at par.
    Apr 3 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2014: Patience Rewarded [View article]
    thanks for the catch.
    Apr 2 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2014: Patience Rewarded [View article]
    I wasn't suggesting the options strategy, just disclosing. It's only appropriate for investors who are both active and sophisticated with a high risk tolerance.
    Apr 2 02:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2014: Patience Rewarded [View article]
    PEGI is not here because I thought it was overvalued at the start of the year (it was trading around $31 and I was selling short calls). It's come down a bit since, and now seems fairly valued (around $27). I'm currently short puts at $20 and $25, and calls at $30 and $35, meaning I make the most money if PEGI stays in the $25-$30 range. I'm already well up on this trade because I sold the puts in Nov/Dec when PEGI was below $25, and sold the calls when it was above $29.

See the "relative pricing" section of this article: http://onforb.es/1hQRg6O
    Apr 2 10:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2014: Patience Rewarded [View article]
    Some readers asked for that in the past, and it seems to be working well, along with the high/low targets.

Research shows that most people are too optimistic about their ability to predict stocks... I'm very curious to see if I will be able to buck the trend with my high/low targets. Not that anyone will be complaining if the "high" targets are violated.
    Apr 2 09:25 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Finavera Wind Energy: Bak From The Dead [View article]
    Yes, I'm also surprised Bak is so optimistic about his long-suffering shareholders. But the thing I like best about the option is that it makes the company much easier to value.
    Apr 2 09:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2014: March Update [View article]
    I don't think that's what they mean in the going concern part, since it would contradict what they say elsewhere. But they do need financing to continue, and that financing is contingent on decent remediation.
    Apr 1 10:50 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Clean Energy Stocks For 2014: March Update [View article]
    Looks like they got a total of 3.1 extra MW out of SJ 6-1, 6-2, and 4-1 by cleaning. The bigger gains should come from deepening and forking 9-3 and 12-3, neither of which has stabilized, and both of which are expected to produce 7-10MW.
    12-3 was originally 4.7 MW gross, so they gained 2.3 to 5.3 MW there.
    9.3 was previously certified at 4.8MW, so that should be a gain of 2.2 to 5.2 MW.

That means the remediation program increased output by 7.6 MW to 13.6 MW. They also gave a total for the remediation program of 9 to 14MW, so they're saying 13-3 and 9-3 are not both going to be at the low end.
    Apr 1 09:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: Not So Clean [View article]
    Low natural gas prices are more of what's hurting the coal companies (and shareholders) than the current ineffective efforts to curb CO2 emissions. Coal plants are shutting down because their fuel cost is higher than combined cycle gas plants, with environmental efforts helping at the margins, but those are more efforts to reduce mercury, particulates, and other pollution than to reduce CO2.
    Mar 26 02:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Power REIT's Preferred Stock Offering: A Hedge That Pays 7.75% [View article]
    That depends which situation you think is more likely. I personally think the "win" is more likely, which is why I have more of the common. I personally hold it in a taxable account, mainly because it was not possible to subscribe to the offering in an IRA.
    Mar 23 07:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: Not So Clean [View article]
    I agree, William. If they had said "Our generation capacity is 39%* Gas and we consider gas to be clean as the driven snow" I would not have had a problem with it.

*or whatever the precise number is - the numbers you quote don't include the "other projects"

I consider their statement that their generation is "95% clean" to be deceptive. What else are they hiding? (The sustainability of their dividend, as you say, but that's another article. Once I found the first deception, I had found enough, and stopped looking.)
    Mar 20 06:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: Not So Clean [View article]
    I agree that natural gas is cleaner than coal. I'm sorry if I did not make that clear in the article.

However, "cleaner than coal" is not the same as "clean," and the company's website clearly states that 95% of its generation is "clean" (their quotes) without defining what they mean by that.
    Mar 20 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment