Tom Luongo

View Tom Luongo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @Broke I would say the opposite. Their x86 cores are now iterations of existing technology and the ARM chip according to Andrew Feldman is $30 million and 18 months. Their server chips will be in sampling in Q2 2014 with delivery in H2. I seriously doubt it takes another 12 months to adapt Seattle from a server part to a consumer one. But, regardless of that why would AMD's Cortex A57's be any more or less power intensive than NVDA's?

At this point any discussion of AMD's ARM efforts are pure speculation and FUD. Period. And if Jaguar is any indication then AMD's small core design team has a pretty good handle on power management. And, moreover, no one has any idea what GCN 2.0 cores will look like in those terms. It's all conjecture based on personal bias at this point.

If you are seriously arguing that NVDA's ARM solutions have been any kind of success from an engineering perspective then that would be nigh onto comedy. Tegra is literally going to bury that company.

QCOM? You have a point since they custom design their cores like AAPL. INTC? They have to give Bay Trail away and the margins for Cherry Trail will be worse because 14nm is not the solution for INTC, it's a trap.
    Feb 7 02:27 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @Dwdallam I don't know at this point, to be honest but I'm encouraged.
    Feb 6 09:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @mKiwi The intention is for Mantle to be open source eventually. It's not about licensing and closing off the technology but rather to push the industry forward and be leaders from what I understand.
    Feb 6 09:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @TJM Another ambulance chaser lawsuit. Nice.
    Feb 6 06:03 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @TJM Nice that you were in the stock during the days when INTC was a good investment. Today it is, at best, a bad income stock for new investors. For people who bought back in the 90's? Sure. In 2014? Sorry, no.
    Feb 6 06:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @Kfed Intel tried to buy NVDA in 2010. NVDA said no. Any purchase would take at least 2 years to bring a new product to market so, while it's a possibility it does not affect anything in the relevant future at all.
    Feb 6 06:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @Toonies Thanks I appreciate that.
    Feb 6 05:17 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @TJM Well, there's no accounting for taste. I like a lot of Ashraf's work but that article in particular was not one of his best. I humbly disagree.
    Feb 6 05:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @kjurden Thanks. The effect on INTC and NVDA is a difficult one because there are so many moving parts to the computing story. INTC has a Fab problem. It has expensive fabs making expensive chips for an industries shifting away from what they are selling. They cannot continue to sell Bay Trails at a loss to build marketshare for too long.

I just started digging into AMD's server strategy with Seattle and I wish I was better versed in that part of the industry to intelligently comment on it but my intuition tells me that INTC is in trouble there long term as well.

NVDA is simply flying into coffin corner and anyone who can't see that simply has blinders on at this point. All of their products are a year late, cost too much, use too much power and are ill-fitted to the future of computing. Oh, and they have ticked off nearly every other conceivable partner which precludes meaningful deep partnerships on new tech.
    Feb 6 05:15 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @tjm The stock market is a future-oriented place. Past is not necessarily prologue. If it were AMD would be out of business right now. You buy stocks when they represent good value or good potential and you sell them when they don't.

AMD is one of the most promising stocks in technology right now trading at a discount to its future cash flows from their console wins alone. If you want a bad investment I suggest you look at INTC.
    Feb 6 05:02 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Early Mantle Results Support AMD's Low Power Strategy [View article]
    @inside I really wanted to get to this article earlier but I was swamped with other commitments. The end of the month is really hectic around here
    Feb 6 04:49 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Ash9 Exactly. Today is completely uninteresting from the technology perspective... today is all about the S&P 500, Forex markets blowing up and the realization that the Fed can only pump valuations up so far.

Even NVDA is down today. :)
    Jan 24 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Fib My position in AMD is purely play money. I have had all of my money out of the financial markets for years, putting it instead into my property and dairy farm.
    Jan 24 10:45 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Fib General market is down with the S&P500 at 1817..... unless the Fed/Treasury Dept come in to stick save this afternoon --- always a strong probability -- we may be seeing the beginnings of the correction in general equities. All stocks are sold at that point.

If you are playing options now is the time to buy "time" not price. Look at July or Jan 15 calls.... Most of the downside, however, is gone. So shorting is a low probability trade without a longer term reversal signal.
    Jan 24 10:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD: Looks Like More Of The Same On Earnings [View article]
    @geek Yeah the 13.12 drivers don't even recognize Kaveri. Honestly something feels off about the machine even with the Richland chip so, I'm thinking it might be a memory problem that is uncovered by Kaveri. Whatever. I've moved on and when Justin told me his Gigabyte loaded up fine I pulled the trigger on the box I wanted to build anyways.

It turned out that my old case wouldn't support the water cooler (all new to me this kind of thing) so it was either RMA it or buy another case. I actually bought a touchscreen monitor to put with the Richland machine since it's downstairs in the thick of things. I'm sure my wife will figure out cool educational stuff to do with that while I'm upstairs killin' pixels and jabbering with y'all.
    Jan 23 10:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment