Tom Luongo

View Tom Luongo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Geek I read somewhere (and forgive me I can't find the link now) that the main reason AMD did not go with GDDR5 on Kaveri was the lack of a 2nd source for DIMMs as Hynix was the only vendor. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I also believe someone else has jumped into that space.

If this is correct then I would expect Carrizo to have GDDR5 support. But also remember that GDDR5 is not optimized for CPU usage so this is more of the same problem that AMD now has -- how much more do you de-emphasize the CPU to create gains in the GPU.

Also, looking at the few benchmarks of the 7850k vs. the 7700k it's obvious those last 128 shaders are not being fully utilized and as such the 7700k is the better choice to build a dual graphics rig today. You get the advantage of the higher clocked CPU which will likely OC by 10-15% and a fully utilized GPU that pairs perfectly with an R7 250 (384 shaders on the APU / 384 shaders on the dGPU).
    Jan 15 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Standup I don't think Intel can start a price war and survive it. They will tell Wall St. whatever it wants to hear to keep the stock from collapsing. Fabs have to be kept filled it is one of the horrible problems of running a top to bottom design and manufacturing company of any kind.

The business model itself will continue to drag on INTC. This is why I like where AMD is from both a technology and business model standpoint. Yes, they are at the mercy of the Fabs they work with but they are not managing them as well. There's is moving towards a licensing and design model while Intel's continues the vertical integration path that has proven to be a dead end over the long haul. Just ask nearly every tech company in the tech company graveyard.

Only IBM has been able to remake itself with every new generation of computing and even they get it wrong... look at where they are headed... software and services.
    Jan 15 04:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @W&W Very good point. I do believe the company's communication has improved in the past 15 months that I've been actively following it. But, this is the one area that was likely cut the hardest during the restructuring and needs attention now going forward.
    Jan 15 01:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons Why AMD Will Beat Expectations For Q4 2013 Earnings [View article]
    @WRS As I stated above so did I. Sell a 'rhino horn' buy a 'fish hook' But, I only have Apr calls so this was necessary. If I was holding shares outright or longer-dated calls I would have sold less (calls) or none (shares).

The price action is too bullish. The best we'll see is a pull back to re-test the breakout level of $4.13.
    Jan 15 12:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Stephen i sold some calls into that peak at $4.55 and took my stake off the table. I'm now playing earnings with the house's money. If there's a pullback I'll buy back in with more time and if there isn't I'll look for good value farther out of the money.

But, today's follow through should have been expected after yesterday's strong close above last week's high.
    Jan 15 12:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Az Okay.... and that's the promise of Kaveri 45w/65w parts at this point and why it was smart for AMD to send the A8-7600 along for review, which got nearly as much ink as the A10-7850k. $119 for the APU + an R7 260 for around $129.

Now, this setup, and it's subtle, has something that INTC+dGPU doesn't have, the ability to further distribute tasks along 3 vectors -- CPU/iGPU/dGPU. The Register article from this morning lays it out.... CPU for its tasks, iGPU for Physics, dGPU for Rendering.

We're not there yet as of today... but this is a huge boon to developers and what we'll see as the industry moves forward. Anything that INTC/NVDA put together will be 2-3 years behind this model and why I still think asymmetric dual graphics is the killer app for Kaveri, along with its efficiency at low TDPs.

Now think about a laptop in 6 months for the back-to-school season sporting a 35w Kaveri + R265m and a 1080p touchscreen that can wirelessly stream to a TV for $500? Think college students aren't going to eat these up by the millions?
    Jan 15 10:30 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @JJ Ding winnar! Though I am seriously tempted right now to just get a 7850k and OC the GPU for my desktop. I'm looking at the EQN Landmark beta in February and know I'm going to need more oomph.
    Jan 15 10:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Ash9 Saw that one yesterday.. The A8-7600 is a huge value part at $119. Huge.
    Jan 15 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @SA and Fiberton Watch the $4.50-$4.65 region that's where the bears will make their stand this month. If the stock closes the month above $4.13 however that's a long term reversal/breakout signal and you can play the long side of the market with relative impunity.
    Jan 15 09:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sorry Link to the article

Jan 15 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    From Charlie's dive into Kaveri:

"The last bit added to the GPU side of the Kaveri house is a TrueAudio unit identical to the one in CI and VI parts like Hawaii. A little birdie also told SemiAccurate that this unit is the PS4 sound system directly lifted without changes. If you were wondering who would support TrueAudio, the PS4 is the main dev target for this generation of consoles and it should be an easy port from there to Hawaii, CI, and now Kaveri. This is the long way of saying everyone should support it."

TrueAudio processing of sound as sound becomes more complex will be a big seller for either Kaveri or dGPU upgrades. The support will be there.

"And that in a nutshell is Kaveri, Hawaii plus Steamroller with a coherent bus between them and heavily updated power management. Instead of CPU and GPU cores there are now Compute Cores or CCs, something that has actual technical grounding. All this is possible because of coarse grained pointer passing and context switching via HSA, hQ, and other related mechanisms coupled to system level atomics and coherency. Although it may not sound like much, what the hardware enables is a sea change for computing, especially on the server side. When the software catches up, Kaveri is going to be a very interesting part.S|A"

And he noted that the decisions on clock speed were based on process choices and that this will be solved by Carrizo, making it a monster GPU by comparison.
    Jan 15 08:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Az Good luck with that. I'll believe MSFT when I see it. That will be welcome but I'm skeptical.
    Jan 15 08:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Az JJ has posted the numbers of the breakdown between laptops and desktops in Q3. According to the sell side they gained sales in desktops and lost in laptops.... which makes sense since they had desktop chips on the market and Kabini/Richland were not shipping in quantities for laptops.

I think the demand for the PS/4 and Xbone took away from Kabini's early distribution. Wafers that could have gone to make Kabini/Temash went to make console APU's
    Jan 15 08:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @JJ and Az First that $170 for Kaveri is inflated by the BF4 promo. Drop $20. The second point is that the $80 is an option at build time and creates a cheap upgrade path. Kaveri's GPU is not childish it is equivalent if not, in some ways better than the $80 card that you can add to it.
    Jan 15 08:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @JJ Again this is due to the confirmation bias of the reviewer's preferences/agenda/frame of reference. I read one review that doesn't believe that the guy you just described even exists! That's crazy.

Most of us own computers, work all day, come home and want to kill pixels of some quality for an hour or two and go to bed. Moreover, we don't want to spend $1000 for the privilege of doing so.
    Jan 14 10:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment