Tom Luongo

View Tom Luongo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Ash9 Thanks. It is something that we have to remind ourselves of as investors and not as members of Team Red vs. Team Blue.
    Jan 14 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    Also, Check out the game reviews at this review and note how stable the framerates are for Kaveri.

This translates directly into that nebulous 'user experience' that matters in real world gaming. I don't care if I can't have all the eye candy I want as long as the image is predictably smooth.
    Jan 14 09:41 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Stock NVDA resisted INTC's overtures back in 2010. Of course INTC should buy in NVDA, but by the time those two dysfunctional cultures are merged, ARMH will have taken over the entire market.

The time for that passed a while ago, unless INTC is already secretly reverse engineering NVDA's GPU cores to get a headstart. :)

BTW, the most telling thing from the Anandtech review is just how bad an architecture Iris Pro is at 2014 resolutions/settings. The drop off in performance is stunning (and completely expected) but, of course, none of that was in evidence when the chips were benchmarked and hailed as INTC's savior.

This is exactly what I was talking about.
    Jan 14 09:37 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Numbers Won't Tell The Real Story For AMD's Kaveri [View article]
    @Stock These reviews confirm a number of things that we expected... the A10 is memory bandwidth constrained and the 28nm process needs work. The 45w and 65w parts look like great value.

But, until we can see the performance results from the wildcards -- trueaudio, mantle, HSA -- Kaveri will look unimpressive to those unwilling to be impressed.
    Jan 14 09:22 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Thoughts On AMD Leading Into Earnings [View article]
    @Mike,

Interesting box and a good deal if AMD fixes dual graphics with the next set of catalyst drivers. Like Justin I am still skeptical but optimistic. This may, however, signal that Valve and Gigabyte have better information than us regarding this.
    Jan 13 09:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Thoughts On AMD Leading Into Earnings [View article]
    Cramer's always holding water for his Wall St. buddies. Any reason to slaughter Muppets will be taken. Good thing no one watches CNBC anymore.
    Jan 10 07:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Thoughts On AMD Leading Into Earnings [View article]
    @JJ I'm beginning to finally hate my Llano A6-3420 laptop (HP Gx1355, 17" screen at 16x9). I've booked a lot of revenue and played a lot of games on that thing. Web pages have risen in complexity since I bought it that having it and skype/word/excel and Firefox with 9+ tabs on it is becoming a bit laggy at times under Win 8.1. *grin*

It was just under powered for playing DCUO... but WoW, LoL and SWTOR all run fine with a $15 laptop cooler. Not bad for $316 on closeout from Best Buy and $50 for 8 gigs of memory, honestly.

I expect that a 35/45W Kaveri will be a massive upgrade over that.

I've always build the classic Ars Technica budget boxes, pulling forward bits from previous machines where I could. Upgrading every 3 years or so for a few hundred bucks just makes the most sense.

The A6-6400k box was a $365 upgrade:
    A6-6400k
    8 gig Gskill cas 9 2133MHz memory
    1 Tb Hybrid Drive
    Asus mini ATX FM2+ mobo
    DVD RW drive.

I had a case, fans and power supply from the previous box.

I'll replace the A6 with a Kaveri of some flavor. But, frankly, I've got the GPU overclocked to 900 MHz and I'm getting 30 FPS on WoW at 1080p and high settings. Dropping to good nets me 40 FPS.

Yes, more modern games require more and I'm looking at EQ Next and Landmark for this year. But, I can't see needing much more than this.
    Jan 10 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Thoughts On AMD Leading Into Earnings [View article]
    @JJ LOL. I just re-ripped my entire CD collection on an A6-6400k and the average CD took less than 2 minutes to rip. The 10-15 seconds per CD I would have gained by spending an extra $200+ on an Intel/Nvidia solution was easily lost in the normal use friction of coffee drinking/web browsing/child wrangling and spousal interruptions.

Most of the synthetic benchmarks are irrelevant from that perspective. If you don't think people are price sensitive when it comes to technology I offer you U.S. smartphone penetration before and after the advent of the $99 smartphone and the Wii vs. the XBox and/or PS/3 from last decade.

Bleeding edge is excellent.... it drives innovation but profits are made at the mass consumer level. Intel and Apple enjoyed margins that were unsustainable in recent years. This will normalize and potentially crater if Intel doesn't get its act together.

I'm nearly convinced NVDA won't exist in 5 years due to gross mis-management squeezing them out of their niche.
    Jan 10 02:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kaveri Puts Paid AMD's Long Term Design Goals [View article]
    @inside the bloggers at TMF however are completely independent. The editorial staff, however, is a another story.
    Jan 10 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Thoughts On AMD Leading Into Earnings [View article]
    @Jag Mobile Kaveri, Beema/Mullins... server versions thereof and new embedded systems (g-series) as well. The bigger question is not 2014/15, it's what they have up their sleeves for the next period after that now that the present is secure.
    Jan 9 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kaveri Puts Paid AMD's Long Term Design Goals [View article]
    @JJ I've been waiting for Newegg to put something up. Thanks.
    Jan 9 12:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kaveri Puts Paid AMD's Long Term Design Goals [View article]
    @Cube the PMs are for a monetary breakdown, which is a real threat in the coming years. It's insurance for a devaluation of the dollar. At some point, though, the demand for dollars will become acute and having the ability to grow food, etc. is simply smart asset management.
    Jan 9 12:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kaveri Puts Paid AMD's Long Term Design Goals [View article]
    @Justin i have most all of those things (and dairy goats) along with my precious metals holdings. Oh, and dogs. Livestock guardians are the optimal choice btw, preferably a little crazy.
    Jan 9 11:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kaveri Puts Paid AMD's Long Term Design Goals [View article]
    @azazel System builders are taking pre-orders now and shipping systems right after that. Mobile parts are due in Q1, this is well known and has been for a while. We'll see desktop SKU's at Newegg before month end.

First link is AMD press release.

This link has ETA 1/15 for CPUs to buy.

Nice try
    Jan 9 11:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Kaveri Puts Paid AMD's Long Term Design Goals [View article]
    @kj Thanks.Looking forward to the earnings report.
    Jan 9 10:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment