Tom Luongo

View Tom Luongo's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • AMD Wins New Price War In Low-End Desktop Chips [View article]
    @Matt Keep the conversation civil. this is not the Fudzilla forums.

Go read AMD's marketing material on this. They are specifically targeting the consumers I just mentioned. So, maybe they're insane. But I'm certainly not. One more comment like that and the report button gets pressed.
    Mar 9, 2014. 07:18 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Wins New Price War In Low-End Desktop Chips [View article]
    @Matt Yes they do. And if they don't then the internet cafes they use do and they are very price sensitive. Intel doesn't care about these markets and never has. Sell the biggest, fastest chips for the most margin in developed markets.

So, people in emerging markets don't have cellphones? computers? Do tell.
    The value proposition for someone like that to have any kind of communication is immense. Everyone in Vietnam has a smartphone and some kind of service. I know this since, well, I kinda have a business partner there.

You simply have no clue as to what you are talking about, where the growth markets are and what the computing landscape will look like in 3 years.

AMD can and will sell millions of socketed Kabinis to cafes and users to run browsers and play LoL.

BTW, $3000 per year is twice the average per capita income in a place like Vietnam and yet somehow cellphone and computer usage is high. How is that?
    Mar 9, 2014. 07:16 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Wins New Price War In Low-End Desktop Chips [View article]

@Matt They absolutely will if they can get it at their price point which has never been available to them previously. When a person makes $3000/yr in an emerging market value in their computer is everything. The world does not use computers the way middle class US computer geeks do, though 99% of the analysis about the market is done from that perspective.

But, thanks for the feedback.
    Mar 8, 2014. 03:12 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Wins New Price War In Low-End Desktop Chips [View article]
    @Matt Not Jaguar. For BD/PD/SR sure. But, Jaguar routinely runs well below TDP figures for routine computing needs. Like 8W for an A4-5000 versus a 15W TDP. the TDP figure is only approached when the GPU is maxed. Kabini's biggest issue is the lack of real burst turbo.

I expect Beema to fix a lot of that... in the same way that Richland vastly improved Trinity's power consumption under specific loads.
    Mar 8, 2014. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Wins New Price War In Low-End Desktop Chips [View article]
    @e92 You are correct. I didn't mention it though I am very aware of how good Jaguar is in actual real-world scenarios vis a vis power usage vs. TDP.
    Mar 8, 2014. 03:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD Wins New Price War In Low-End Desktop Chips [View article]
    @asH9 By dropping the licensing cost on Win 8 to nothing and going for ad/app revenue and a streaming model for data/office.
    Mar 8, 2014. 03:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @gzubeck I don't. I meant 'fair value' in terms of average trading price not in terms of what I think the company could or should be worth. I meant it in the 'auction market theory' sense of the phrase.
    Mar 8, 2014. 03:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Binar I missed today's close. Had to run out and missed the close.
    Mar 7, 2014. 07:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @asH9 I know from the 2012 annual report that 51% of their sales come from China. It will be interesting to see how revenues break down in 2013 when the GAM happens in May.

Beyond that I don't know. I remember writing an article about how the India division was kicking it last summer.
    Mar 7, 2014. 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @asH9 Socketed Kabini vs. Bay Trail M is a huge winner for AMD in building brand loyalty in emerging markets while continuing to spin off profits from SNE/MSFT R&D into Jaguar.
    Mar 7, 2014. 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Fiberton There is still some upside momentum in NVDA but a weekly close below $17.90 and any bad news and yes I agree.

*looks over his shoulder for @Stockpicker to beat his chest*
    Mar 7, 2014. 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @binar 4x normal volume with 2 hours to go is a great day. Watch the 3:30 - 4:00pm period as that is when the managed money makes their moves, buying into day-trader covering. This is the weekly close coming up and a strong close tells me we'll see a push above $4.10 next week. So, let's watch this carefully....
    Mar 7, 2014. 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ECB Ignites Dollar Breakdown, Gold Rally [View article]
    @IT Wall Mart cited fewer EBT sales as part of the reason they missed earnings. The fight for the underclass consumer with stable 'income' has begun.

What you smell is the stench of lying gov't statistics.
    Mar 7, 2014. 02:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ECB Ignites Dollar Breakdown, Gold Rally [View article]
    @Symba No one said he wasn't. But, seriously Svoboda and Right Sector are NOT ultra-nationalists? Or are you replying to @GGGL about the snipers?

I discount all of those stories as propoganda at this point. This is about oil/gas power politics and the unfolding currency wars. The Ukrainian people (east and west) are simply pawns to be manipulated by vaster powers and it's a tragedy.
    Mar 7, 2014. 12:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @asH9 Yesterday Charlie had an article on Facebook making a major microserver buy. It's behind the big paywall. I pay him for the basic access so I don't know who got the contract.

I'm sure the deal will be announced soon enough though. But, yes, connecting the dots and looking forward to Berlin I think there will be some major developments coming in Q2/Q3.
    Mar 7, 2014. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment