Tom Luongo

View Tom Luongo's Comments BY TICKER:
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @gzubeck I don't. I meant 'fair value' in terms of average trading price not in terms of what I think the company could or should be worth. I meant it in the 'auction market theory' sense of the phrase.
    Mar 8 03:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Binar I missed today's close. Had to run out and missed the close.
    Mar 7 07:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @asH9 I know from the 2012 annual report that 51% of their sales come from China. It will be interesting to see how revenues break down in 2013 when the GAM happens in May.

Beyond that I don't know. I remember writing an article about how the India division was kicking it last summer.
    Mar 7 07:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @asH9 Socketed Kabini vs. Bay Trail M is a huge winner for AMD in building brand loyalty in emerging markets while continuing to spin off profits from SNE/MSFT R&D into Jaguar.
    Mar 7 03:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Fiberton There is still some upside momentum in NVDA but a weekly close below $17.90 and any bad news and yes I agree.

*looks over his shoulder for @Stockpicker to beat his chest*
    Mar 7 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @binar 4x normal volume with 2 hours to go is a great day. Watch the 3:30 - 4:00pm period as that is when the managed money makes their moves, buying into day-trader covering. This is the weekly close coming up and a strong close tells me we'll see a push above $4.10 next week. So, let's watch this carefully....
    Mar 7 02:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @asH9 Yesterday Charlie had an article on Facebook making a major microserver buy. It's behind the big paywall. I pay him for the basic access so I don't know who got the contract.

I'm sure the deal will be announced soon enough though. But, yes, connecting the dots and looking forward to Berlin I think there will be some major developments coming in Q2/Q3.
    Mar 7 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Galan Today is purely technical and the pressure has been building for days. Someone finally decided to jump on board and push the shorts into covering. Expect resistance to show up at around $4.10 or so to start.

After that gap is filled then we'll know where the market stands. Is above $4 sustainable or will the price settle back towards the current fair value of $3.75 or so.

EIther way, today represents a good trading opportunity.
    Mar 7 10:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    All,

The stock is pushing up against the top of the trading range now on good volume. This is looking good for a breakout here to gap fill up to $4.10 or so.
    Mar 7 09:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Az Conjecture all the way around. If mobile Kaveri + dGPU is more powerful and cheaper than Intel + maxwell then AMD will gain share. Oh what? Are you saying AMD can't sell mobile chips at a profit? Nonsense.
    Mar 6 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Azazel Like that was not expected? Maxwell mobile? That article says nothing about clock speed, etc. I expect Maxwell to be good but again, Mobile Kaveri + dGPU will be more than competitive, especially on price.
    Mar 6 09:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @binar TDP is not a measure of power usage, but rather potential power usage. I'm not surprised that your Ivy Bridge i5 doesn't last half as long as stated specs.

That Samsung you referenced has a 2-cell battery and an 8W Temash. The Jaguar chips have been seen to run well south of their TDP under normal load. Ask yourself how battery life is so poor, but Engadget can't see the simple fact that battery life needs to be normalized to the size of the battery. It's a lazy review.

The things that trouble me more are the build quality issues for such a high priced laptop.

On DX12. I'll believe MSFT when I see it and if they could flip a switch and deisgn DX12 to be closer to the metal then they would have done so the moment AMD announced Mantle. The other question is, of course, since we don't exist in a unipolar gaming world anymore will developers stay with it? It's a real question now.

The discussions of Mantle being DOA are hyperbole.
    Mar 6 09:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @binar AMD stopped trying to catch intel's single-threaded performance a long time ago. It becomes less important every year.
    Mar 5 08:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @6228371 Trading in such a tight band indicates a lack of conviction on both sides, bulls and bears. The bears don't want this to get away from them but the bulls want someone else to 'go first' and push the stock away from its fair value. So, until something changes we'll do this until the supply of one dries up.

If y'all didn't see Charlie's latest at S/A about the Tegra K1 I suggest reading it and all other recent NVDA posts over there. It's pretty obvious that this is a non-competitive part and the reason why they are shifting their focus away from mass consumer markets with it.

Mar 5 09:52 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMD's Dual Graphics: Power And Efficiency For Mobile Computing [View article]
    @Sean Maxwell is indeed good on power consumption. But, the rest of NVDA's product mix is very suspect. Moreover, we would expect a significant move in some aspect of their performance with a new chipset. But, at a performance/dollar level Maxwell is not a winner yet. 20nm will be interesting but then so will GCN.

The R7 250? At $90 I agree with you. At the price point it is moving to...$60, not so much. The kicker will be when AMD supports a Kaveri A10 with the 250x (512-640 shaders), giving you a low, wide graphics pipeline that is scalable with clock speed. Kaveri's GPU is more than capable of overclocking to 1GHz without a voltage change. If the DG driver is normalizing the clock speed then this a path to really good performance on the cheap with any of the sub $100 cards.

If anyone finds DG results with OC'd GPUs please post them here. I don't have the hardware (or the software) frankly to do it myself.
    Mar 5 09:31 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment