Tom Winnifrith

View Tom Winnifrith's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Harmonic Energy: Large-Scale And Misleading U.K. Stock Promotion Offers Opportunity To Sell - Company Technically Insolvent [View article]
    Clviny

My pleasure. I am amazed that in these days of uber-regulation such things still happen. All very peculiar.

Dec 25 05:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Manchester United: Poor Full Year Numbers -Sell Down To $7 [View article]
    Puzzman

Here's hoping that AC plays for West Ham as he did at your place rather than at Anfield.

I flagged in my original piece the comparisons with Busby and Fergie. The former stayed on 2 seasons too long and his "ghost in the stands" haunted those who suceeded him during the 1970s which were a very poor time for MUFC. I wonder...

Sep 20 08:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Manchester United: Poor Full Year Numbers -Sell Down To $7 [View article]
    Vikramvasu

I watch soccer avidly. I am a season ticket holder at West Ham and have been for years.

You judge a club's propsects for this year by the last 5 years not just last season and how they are playing this time. Given player turnover in the EPL I think that is a mistake.

Sep 20 08:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Manchester United: Poor Full Year Numbers -Sell Down To $7 [View article]
    Valuenyc

I make no secret of my view that there "is only one united" and that is West Ham United. taking my daughter to a game for the first time this season on Saturday.

I am a grave disappointment to my father who supports Man U.

But my view is purely one on valuation. I am not convinced on the brand. A few years of City/Chelski dominance in a post Fergie era could change a lot.

Best wishes

Sep 20 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Focus Media - New Bronte Allegations Make It A Strong Short [View article]
    Zhubajie

I hear this $3.2 trillion number banded about a lot. Like you can use it several times over. I note that the amount lent by Chinese banks has zoomed ahead from $8 trillion to $21 trillion in the past few years. I reckon that they have vast bad debts which they are not fessing up to. Methinks that the $3.2 trillion ( and some) will be needed to bail out the Chinese banking system before it is turned to loss making enterprises in the real economy. Or in this case the surreal economy.

Sep 19 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Zuckerberg Not Selling For A Year - A Red Herring [View article]
    Six-Oh

Do not worry about the billion share overhang. I think comrade Mizok and SMJTrust are desperate to average down. They will have plenty of opportunity to do so.

Thanks for the support.

Sep 19 05:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Zuckerberg Not Selling For A Year - A Red Herring [View article]
    c5966

Quite right.

I provide ideas ( FB was a overhyped IPO sell at 38 and all the way down). So does comrade Brian Mizok ( buy heavily at $30). As investors we all look at ideas and then do our own research. If you win it is YOUR credit (not that of folks like me or Brian). If you lose it is YOUR fault.

I guess that the old fashioned idea of taking responsibility for our own actions has gone out of style in some places. Shame.

Sep 19 05:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook: Zuckerberg Not Selling For A Year - A Red Herring [View article]
    six-oh

Thank you for pointing out that Brian's call on FB is not exactly a good one. When you write sell advice ( and Brian can find that I have actually posted 7 or 8 ideas on the short tack here in the past few weeks and more to come) you do not expect to a) win friends and b) for those who are long to bother checking facts as they choose to shoot the messenger.

Sep 19 05:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JA Solar Responds To EU Threat, But It Cannot Win [View article]
    Valroudev

If the PRC Government wishes to bail these companies out to keep them going as operating units why the hell should they not take all the equity? They would be the funder of last resort. Why should taxpayers in any country provide loans to public companies and get debt returns allowing equity investors upside?

Personally I think Govt should never bail out public companies with taxpayers cash. But if it does it should take all the equity and if the businesses ever recover then sell to make a profit for the taxpayer

Sep 12 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JA Solar Responds To EU Threat, But It Cannot Win [View article]
    Energyprofitprohet

Just for the record - as the wider equity market has raced ahead in the past two weeks my 3 solar sell calls have all fallen

JASO 96 cents to 84 cents
    LDK 138 cents to 128 cents
    Trina 451 cents to 448 cents

So a) you have been wrong so far and I have been right
    b) 2 weeks is no timeframe. So I suggest we debate the right & wrong case again in 6 months.

But to answer your question on whether you are a sucker for going against my advice so far, I guess the facts suggest that you are.

Happy to assist with your process of self-realisation

Sep 12 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JA Solar Responds To EU Threat, But It Cannot Win [View article]
    Robert.

Ah the 5 year plans, etc.... Stalin used to be good at them too.

A Totalitarian Government prepares to misallocate more capital.

Sep 12 08:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JA Solar Responds To EU Threat, But It Cannot Win [View article]
    IonCapatina

It is not the cost base of solar that the EU likes it is the subsidy.

I argued that these companies were all heading to oblivion.

The bulls countered "but the PRC Government will bail them out"

My point is that IF that happens the EU ( the largest customer of these firms) will counter punch with tariffs which will make the losses these firms are currently making even greater.

So it is lose lose for the China solar firms who even on their cost base are losing money now.

Sep 12 08:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JA Solar Responds To EU Threat, But It Cannot Win [View article]
    Jack

A firm which has debt > cash, will soon have negative working capital and which is losing money/burning cash every day is worth what on a DCF basis?

Just because it is Chinese or solar does not mean that "it will be different this time".

Before you say - these stocks are dirt cheap why not look at the last quarterlies again?

Sep 12 08:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • JA Solar Responds To EU Threat, But It Cannot Win [View article]
    Energyprofitprohet

a) If China offers all these breaks the EU has a slam dunk case for tariffs. As you say they are "killing competition". You make the EU's case for it.

b) Whenever anyone points out the massive issues China faces and huge problems it has folks like you just say "but the Government is going to spend gazxillions more dollars on building homes/installing solar panels/lots of other capital projects no-one needs or wants as if that fixes anything?

That is an EU/ Greece & Spain style solution. It merely misallocates more capital & stores up more debt.

Why when China does this do you folks say this is sensible Government and when Greece does it you say they are reckless fools?

Sep 12 08:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Crash 2012/2013 - Overcapacity And Bubbles (Part One) [View article]
    The hammer

Just to say thank you for a kind post.

What our China pal Ben Gee misses is that huge Government spending on building homes no-one needs, etc is just can kicking. Can kicking means that when you finally do tackle a problem it is that much bigger.

Sep 12 07:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment