Tony Pow

View Tony Pow's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Inflation, Interest Rates, And Why You Should Own Gold [View article]
    The rise of interest rate will be followed by a fierce market correction as illustrated in my books. No exception.
    Aug 22 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Restrictions Imposed On Citigroup's Hedge Fund Sales [View article]
    * The USA vs ISIS.
    The USA's jets and missiles are predominant in desert, but the final stage of the war is won by foot soldiers. The ideas from the ancient book The Art of War (I stole it for the title of my book The Art of Investing) are still valid in guerrilla warfare.

Modifying Newton's Action and Reaction, every reaction has another reaction, and so on. It is similar to a Kung Fu movie on how a disciple revenges for his parents and/or master and the next sequel continues.

* C is losing three years' profit for this penalty. Now, at least one of their fingers stealing the cookie is cut. How come the officers still counting their bonus money (partly from the government) with their filthy hands? The stock seems to be stable after the big dip in the last 6 months.

* Talking about exchanges, the stocks of the Hong Kong exchanges have been up in double digits percentage wise. It is due to the mainland Chinese and Hong Kongers can buy stocks in mutual exchanges in theory. It also gives outlets for the excessive saving to prevent overflowing them to real estate. Some may profit from this insider's info where some countries may be legal.

* Sears used to be the biggest retailer. At one time, I made over 50% in less than a few months on Sears, sold it and never looked back. The Canadian operation still looks great and I bet it may have been spun off already.

Eventually they can only sell lawn mowers, appliances... There are so many wrong decisions and I do not know where to begin. Selling Salvation Army quality of clothes at bargain prices in expensive malls is the same as committing suicide plus ruining the image of the company.

At one time, Sears was supposed to split into multiple stores such as one for eye glasses and one for tax returns within the same location. It proved it did not work. The most amazing thing is the x-president of JC Penny followed the same idea. A blind following a blind is silly; a blind following sth that has been proven not working is ultra stupid or stupid beyond words.
    Aug 22 09:02 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: BofA Expected To Pay $16.5B Mortgage Settlement [View article]
    Random comments and echos.

* When you give them fish (welfare) everyday, they will not want to catch fish themselves. Laziness and free loading are bad human natures.

* I treat the Bible, the Constitution... as Bible (due to lack of a better word). However, time changes, those worked before may not work today like owning guns in the wild, wild west days. I do not want to change the gun laws but there are steps to protect everyone so we can go to school or watch a movie without worrying of being shot.

With respect and risking my road to Heaven, I would argue that "love of money" is good and it is the incentive to drive us to learn, work hard and take educated risk (not gamble).

With money, you can buy better things. However after the basics, money does not improve our lives. My argument is that I should not have less chance to go to heaven when I'm richer than the poor (esp. the many lazy bums I know tuning their motor bikes and watching TV all day long). BTW I should keep my mouth shut on Sundays!
    Aug 21 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Obama sides with the black and Hispanic for sure. I do not blame him as his or his party's election depends on it.

The other observation is both of them are black (one is half black to be exact). It is a natural bias. Proof? Check out the two different reactions from college students in a white college and a black college in the acquittal of OJ.

Did you watch TV on Holder last night? Obviously he is sided with the victim by visiting them first.

I mention about the percents with regard to their populations.

I hope some black or Hispanic would fix their own problems instead of making use of the incidents for their personal gains. Folks outside their races cannot even point out their problems at the risk of being called racists. I have heard too many excuses; they cannot be a father as most of them are in prison for example.
    Aug 21 09:38 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Their manufacturing PMI is affected by the currency.
    Aug 21 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    On a serious non-SA news that may not been talked about in previous SA posts on Ferguson:

1. The President and his running dog are sided with the 'victim' before taking full investigation. Racism can be done in both ways.

2. It will not justify all the looting. That's why no businesses want to set up shops in the poor neighborhood as the Korean immigrants found out in LA the hard way.

3. The 'Johnsons' are making money taking advantage of the incidents. If you look at them more deeply and their children how to milk money, you will find they are no saints.

I'm close to be called racist. If they do not know their problems, they cannot fix them.

Education is important. Multi generation of teenage mothers and high divorce rate are too obvious. Set up good examples (education starts at home) and teach the kids to work hard.

There are some athletes, singers, dancers... making big money, but they are the very few. The first objective is to be a good citizen. The second objective is to find a good professional job or a job useful to the society. Check out the welfare recipient percents, the drug addict percents and prison population percents of different ethnic groups. Statistics never lie.
    Aug 21 08:21 AM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I would like to look at today's news in a more relaxed way as all the world news are bad.

* The new name of the merged companies would be "General Family Dollar" or "Two Dollars Now".

* Thailand has everything going for it: Nice tropical weather, beautiful beaches, lot of tourist attractions (the palace...), beautiful 'girls', naturally beautiful and real women (without the silicon from LA, 'bad' attitude of being equal and face construction from Korea), good people (Buddhists except a few bad dudes)... However, you may be careful to invest (stocks and factories) due to the constant unrest.

I wrote the following joke on outsourcing the medical care to Thailand.

The crying Western patient pleaded to get someone who could speak English. The doctor said, "If I no speak English, what foreign language I speaking?"

* As I said before, I would like to borrow 1 B with negative interest rate and invest in foreign bonds with appreciating currency. Buying Japanese stocks is good too. Despite the rising stock market, Japanese is suffering with high taxes and inflation.

* Chinese learn from the USA how to milk from fat cows (the foreign corporations).
    Aug 21 08:07 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Eurozone Banks To Borrow €250B From ECB [View article]
    So is my wife.
    Aug 20 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Argentina Looks To Swap Debt For New Notes [View article]
    * HSBC had left or reduced their operations in EU at least a year ago. C is too late and too little. After Abe announced his effort in recovering the economy, I said it would not work; it had been tried before and failed miserably.

* China could be coming to a trade war with Japan. The two countries still fight over the disputed islets.

* Ukraine's problem could be resolved overnight. All sides are losers and only long-term losers would get into this situation. Middle East problem will continue forever as evidenced by the Bible and the history of the Crusade. No one can change that. The west and the USA should not participate to localize the centuries-old conflict.

* S. America is not doing good. Bombardia, a highly regarded company, is not doing good. In a sentence, the global economy is not doing good.

* When Buffett pulled out from the oil industry, the economy is predicted by them to be lousy as part of the Dow Theory to me.

* When Steve announced his retirement, Microsoft stock rose a lot. What happens when Buffett retires or passes away (no one can live forever except the beautiful face of Princess D)? I bet his stock would dip when his time comes.
    Aug 20 08:30 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: BHP Billiton To Spin Off Assets [View article]
    Most likely your vein is small. You may have to drink a lot of water before the blood test as I was told.
    Aug 19 01:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: BHP Billiton To Spin Off Assets [View article]
    I did not reference anyone. If it happens to be real, it is a real coincidence. :)
    Aug 19 11:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: BHP Billiton To Spin Off Assets [View article]
    I need to know when you disarm the alarm system when you're out. So, I can steal your stuffs. It turns out the stuffs are fake. Silly me!

The stealee collects the damage from her insurance and pockets the difference between the fake goods and the real stuffs. Smart stealee!

A beautiful mind always beats the most advanced technology which sucks sometimes.
    Aug 19 10:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: BHP Billiton To Spin Off Assets [View article]
    Just the spirit in being #1. :)
    Aug 19 09:30 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: BHP Billiton To Spin Off Assets [View article]
    Finally be the first one to post. I won.

* Tough business for apparel industry and it is one of the several sectors I am very cautious. Just another victim.

* The 4 major mobile phone carriers will have a tough time due to the fierce competition. The 4-line plan with all the goodies is the best offer for families. They will be matched by the competitors as before. However, I will pay $10 more for other carriers that have better coverage (reception).

* CEOs for most banks should have gone to jail. Why they're still counting their bonus money with their filthy hands?

* Non-SA news. Amazon's Unlimited Plan seems too good to be true. It will be good for the authors too. I got about $1.81 for each borrow of my books. This month the borrowing is doubled and will be even more next month. I expect I'll not get the $1.81 from now on as it is based on a pool of money to be shared. One book The Art of Investing is over 600 pages, so I expect it will be bought after it is read. Wishful thinking.
    Aug 19 06:43 AM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Eurozone Banks To Borrow €250B From ECB [View article]
    I do not blame anyone to improve his/her economy life, but the regulations. If it is a mean to get election votes, I have to blame our election system and the shortsightedness of our leaders.

Using gators is inhuman to me. Do you have one around your house?

We should learn how the Mexicans treat their illegals (from even poorer neighbor countries in S. America). They beat the shit out of them - excuse my Mexican language.
    Aug 18 12:47 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment