Tony Pow

View Tony Pow's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Market Timing Is Not Appropriate For Retired Investors [View article]
    It works for me.

Jul 24, 2015. 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology Is A Steal At $18 [View article]
    tuliptown, I have the same feelings. However, no one knows where is the bottom unless you have a time machine. I have missed big profits in too low order prices MANY times. Hopefully it is less than 2 years. However, setting the target too high and too fast may not be good for our mental health.
    Jul 24, 2015. 08:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retirement Strategy: There Are Dividend Aristocrats That May Be Bad For Your Health [View article]
    That's the only reason you live past 66. Fast food kills.
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    That's why we need to time the market. My simple chart indicated to move to stock in September, 2009 (I moved in earlier in the year and it was my best return for a while).
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Micron Technology Is A Steal At $18 [View article]
    After accumulating more and more shares, MU becomes my heavy bet. Wait for two years and see how it works out. In the mean time, do not care about the poor performance of this stock (unless I want to go to a mental hospital) as I am swimming against the tide (the institution investors).
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:14 AM | 13 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alaska Air Group higher after Q2 profit beat [View news story]
    It is my top stock recommended in my Instablog. Best performer among the 5 recommended.
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Premarket Gainers / Losers as of 9:10 am [View news story]
    My recent losers (SNDK & LUV) are gaining big today and CI is doing good. All are my small bets. Should buy more shares on these two losers before.
    Jul 23, 2015. 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I would not compare AAPL and MCD. MCD is a mature company. They need to branch out for growth. AAPL is a tech company and they have to build a better or new mouse trap all the time. Prospect (new products...) is more important for AAPL. It seems the iWatch may not be the upcoming mouse trap. In addition, for the next iPhone, the urge to upgrade is not as urging as before (do you need a better phone?) and the low end will be attacked by many vendors (the Chinese Xiomi is a worthy competitor if they can get over the legal issues here). The financial sheet of AAPL still looks good for now.
    Jul 23, 2015. 10:58 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    * It would be interesting to see the value of the portfolio in the two different periods and the dividend yields.

* I have a small bet on MCD and has tried to sell it. There is a new plan to turn the company around. There were several before and what's the difference between this one and the rest?

There could be more harm to change the traditions, the target audience... of this company. It should have new franchises with different focus and different names such as Mexican food or organic and/or expensive burgers.
    Jul 23, 2015. 07:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Healthcare ratings roundup [View news story]
    Keep a keen eye on this sector. Is it peeking or still have a long way to go? Only time can tell.
    Jul 22, 2015. 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SanDisk up 6.9% on Q2 beat [View news story]
    About time.
    Jul 22, 2015. 05:15 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: Concerns About The Transports Are Overblown [View article]
    The drop in gas prices is great for the airlines unless they already hedge the gas price. It improves most sectors as it affects the bottom line positively. Also, the consumers would have extra cash from gas saving to improve the economy by spending it.

There are few losers such as the oil companies and countries who export oil.
    Jul 22, 2015. 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stocks: Concerns About The Transports Are Overblown [View article]
    Another great article, Eric.

For me, I do not care much about Dow and the Transport component. It worked one time but not any more. It has too many short comings to be used as an index to represent the market. I prefer S&P 500 and even Russell 1000 (if I do not need to search for it every day).

For reality, Transport sector is not a cannery any more as impacted by the downloading of songs, movies... in addition to the global companies. Even for airlines within its sector, they vary so much that I do not want to pick the entire sector unless I'm lazy or I do not have the option such as trading my annuities.

There are many hints to detect market plunges (all better than the Dow Theory) as indicated in my book Profit from 2016 Market Crash - not to prop my book for personal gain as all profits are donated to charities.
    Jul 22, 2015. 01:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Take-Two Is On A Lower Level Than Activision And EA [View article]
    The only negative I see is the RSI(14) is over 78%, a sign of overbought. Could be due to the institution purchases. Agree TTWO is a smaller stock compared to the other two. However, TTWO should have another franchise game within a few years. So far I do not see one is coming.

In general, I'm in for the long term with my stocks given to my young grand children who should hold them for another 10 years.
    Jul 20, 2015. 03:20 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil: After The Fire, The Fire Still Burns [View article]
    Great article. I sold all my two bets on OIL when oil price was $60. We have to see how the effect of Iran which would further erode the oil price. All the folks on shale energy may be losing their shirts. However, oil price will recover judging from history.
    Jul 20, 2015. 12:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment