Trade Radar Operator

View Trade Radar Operator's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • What Price Safety? Time to Desert Stable Value Funds [View article]
    Sometimes the Seeking Alpha editors take liberties with the posts that they publish. For example, they removed the link that I provided to previous posts on the subject. Here it is for those that are interested:
    blog.trade-radar.com/s...

Also, the title has been made more provocative than that on the original post. I am not suggesting investors should flee stable value funds altogether, just that they should consider lessening their exposure.

On Oct 10 11:41 AM Alan Young wrote:

> I have done a lot of studying on investment, but this is my first
    > encounter with the term "stable value fund." Sounds like a good idea,
    > but what is it? Imagine my dismay when the article gives no definition,
    > no explanation, no examples, not even links to the previous "several
    > posts."
    > Well, maybe "dismay" is too strong a word. But it sure makes the
    > article useless for many readers.
    Oct 10 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caution: Plenty of Event Risk on the Horizon [View article]
    Manuel, you are correct. My caution arises from the fact that so many stocks have accomplished this. This indicator can't get much better but could easily get worse.

On Sep 14 10:02 AM manuel wrote:

> sorry I am learning, but if a shorter term MA(20) crosses a longer
    > term(50) isn´t that a bullish sign?
    Sep 14 10:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Five Signals the Tech Slump Is Nowhere Near Over [View article]
    DanM -

Your point about tech gains being minimal is quite valid and I did allude to that concept in a post titled "Who needs tech in a recession?"

As for the headcount reduction, I am referring to tech companies themselves, not their customers. It is not a sign of growth in the tech industry when tech companies are laying off employees.
    Dec 17 03:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In a Recession, Who Still Needs Tech? [View article]
    Newborn - the APL part of a list of ticker symbols that Seeking Alpha creates. I agree it is in error. I suspect they meant to use AAPL.

Note there is another ticker error. The editor entered Nortel as the name of the company associated with NTAP. It should be Network Appliance.
    Dec 12 02:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • UltraShort ETFs: At a Tipping Point? [View article]
    Sheesh! I am happy to see this post generated so many comments; however, it was merely intended to communicate my musing on the current chart of QID and the fact that TA wasn't providing any predictive capability, even as we all seek a bottom. The post was not intended to be especially profound.

I agree it is best to examine the underlying indexes before trading the ultra ETFs and I always do. Still, doesn't hurt to look at the ultra ETFs as they kind of exaggerate the moves of the underlying which sometimes help provide further insight.
    Nov 16 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • UltraShort ETFs: At a Tipping Point? [View article]

Nov 16 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How to Handle a Snap-Back Rally (If We Get One) [View article]
    Actually, the Seeking Alpha editors came up this title. It is certainly more exciting than my original title: "Weekly Review - the beatings continue". Anyway, that's why I didn't quite deliver on the promise of the Seeking Alpha title.
    Oct 12 10:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SKF Regaining Its Old Form? [View article]
    Yes, E F Nuttin. I also watched in pain as SKF just sat there. But that was over a week ago and more recently SKF has been acting somewhat more normally.
    Sep 30 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Yahoo Almost Gets It Right [View article]
    All goods comments, everyone. I guess I just have trouble accepting that a bad merger is better than no merger.
    Jul 28 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In a Vulnerable Bond Market, Two ProShares ETFs To Consider [View article]
    Charlie - as I understand it, the current account deficit is reduced as exports increase. If rates rise (bond prices go down), theoretically the dollar will increase in value. This would make US exports less competitive and might actually increase the current account deficit.
    Jul 25 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google: Don't Hate the Player - Hate the Game [View article]
    I also have positive attitude about Google but I have had the same experience with AdWords. I call it AdWords inflation (see my post at blog.trade-radar.com/2...)
    Jul 16 11:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solar Wafer Prices On the Rise Again? [View article]
    ShareholdersUnite - Polycrystalline silicon is somewhat cheaper than single crystal silicon; however, either may be used to make solar wafers. It would seem to me that rising prices for wafers in general can't hurt a company that sells wafers or raw silicon whether it is single crystal or multicrystal.
    Jul 10 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banks Are Bearish, or Hedging, Financials and Real Estate [View article]
    bluesmoke -

The ProShares Ultra-Short Real Estate ETF is basically an inverse REIT which implies the banks are primarily betting against U.S. commercial real estate.
    Jul 2 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Valuation of Traditional Media: Time Warner [View article]
    Very nice model. I like the interactive aspect. It's been quite a while since I played with one of these equations, but isn't the discount rate a little high given today's interest rate environment? Lowering the discount rate slightly gives the present value of the stock a nice boost.
    Jun 18 09:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is a New Trading Range In Store? [View article]
    David, I think breadth was pretty decent. I am not sure what to make of the volume question. Certainly the volume was not as strong as it was when stocks hit the lows of January and March. On the other hand, volume has been about what it was when we hit the highs last October.
    May 5 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment