TradingHelpDesk

View TradingHelpDesk's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Bullish on America [View article]
    Hope doesn't fix multi-trillion dollar budgets.

The more I read about economics the more certain I am that the very structure of the banking sector and Fed credit policies are flawed.

Jun 27 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Book Review: Snap Judgment, by David E. Adler [View article]
    Very interesting points you raise.

Are you suggesting the very infrastructure of the financial services industry is just churning machine to feed commissions and profits to the priviliged few at the expense of the many? I think you are.

I presume you are also against the further burden allocated to the average tax-payer who will pay the price for poor regulation, greed, insane credit policies and incompetence at the highest levels of banking and politics?

Such subjects I try to explore in great depth in my blog articles on SA and tinyurl.com/oo6zea

On Jun 26 07:04 PM money hardball wrote:

> Goldman and Bank of America run the markets along with Geithner,
    > and beagle boy Ben. There is no free markets, only welfare capitalism
    > and socialism for capitalism.
    > hat tip to investmintideas.blogsp.../ for the good articles
    > To stop the New World Order I implore people to save more money.
    > Stop spending in order to make the economy shrink. If consumers de-leverage,
    > so will these financial firms, too. Their grip on society is lessened
    > when we stop playing into their debt/consumption trap.
    Jun 27 10:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BCA on U.S. Equity Strategy - Stay Underweight Consumer Finance, Overweight Machinery [View article]
    Good advice, and there are very good economic reasons why we should support machinery and infrastructure. The companies can create real economic growth by improving production efficiencies and building new assets of true economic worth.

Consumption for consumption's sake and excess money supply facilitating financial transactions of zero-sum economic worth (and failed regulation), got us into this mess.
    Jun 26 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • British Sky Broadcasting Could Rise on Setanta's Demise [View article]
    Mihirbhatia, thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I think that if a broadcaster goes bankrupt, it's subscribers re-think their subscription payments and some will decide to opt for Sky. Also, Setanta was available on free-view TV's, with a simple upgrade, whereas Sky requires hardware. Those freeview + Setanta viewers will now have no premium sport and will be tempted to opt for Sky, unsure of the ESPN proposition. After all Sky has 5 football packages from 2010. ESPN will only have one. But you raise good points and I take them on board.
    Jun 25 02:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tech Fundamentals Downtrend: The End of the Trend Is Near [View article]
    Agree. We may not be able to fix the structural problems in the economy but technicals. momentum and investor confidence can still make things happen in equities, I also think tech stocks could see a rally.
    Jun 25 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'd Avoid Toyota, The #1 Automaker in the U.S. [View article]
    The only sector I am more anxious to avoid going long in, after airlines, is this sector. Where's the pricing power. There's none. Over capacity will rule for years to come even after the GM and Chrysler back-log of vehicles is cleared.
    Jun 25 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Considers Inflation vs. Deflation [View article]
    Dave is calling it right. The US needs inflation to reduce the real value of it's trillions of debt. Not too much, but enough to reduce the burden over the next 5-10 years. A weaker dollar is also a unspoken aim.
    Jun 24 07:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco: Despite Difficult Year, I Smell Value [View article]
    Thanks for taking the time to read my article. I agree that a dividend policy would be appropriate. Maybe I am being too simplistic looking at hard cash on the balance sheet, strong eps growth, a track record of 120 acquisitions (most successful) and a dominant market share in key segments? I always liked those measures, but you all raise valid points and I will take them on board.
    Jun 22 03:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • British Airways Focuses on Survival [View article]
    OldLimey, very true. Thanks for continuing to read my articles.
    Jun 19 06:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Signs Recession Is Running Out of Steam [View article]
    The US is not the whole global economy. At least half the US writers on SA talk about the US economy as if it is the only economy. China, India, Brazil, Australia... I can go on. There are 150 others.
    Jun 19 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • British Airways Focuses on Survival [View article]
    captainccs, I think that is a very fair call. Personally I avoid the sector all together.
    Jun 19 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Further Evidence That Inflation Isn't Imminent [View article]
    Government sourced inflation data is often close to worthless. For example the basket of goods they use here, in the UK, includes items that the average family can't afford in a recession. The real basket of goods for lower-middle and working class families is much more exposed to food and energy costs than the official government basket suggests. It doesn't matter if iPods, DVD's, vacations and new cars are falling in price when food, oil, electricity, etc is rising (as it has for most of the past 2-3 years). Families can't afford the former luxuries and have to buy the latter necessities. Add into the equation stalled personal earnings growth and in this recession you have a much higher real inflation rate for most people than you will at more prosperous stages of the economic cycle. Unfortunately the central bank and governmental bureaucrats won't see it from their 2nd home in the Hamptons (or Tuscany for Euro-zone box-tickers).

I'll give you another pretty weird example of how out of touch the bureaucrats are in UK. The government is giving a £2,000 grant to buyers of new cars if the buyer part-exchanges their old, less fuel efficient car. Well you still need to put down say £13,000 to secure the average family car. So the middle class and wealthy who have £13,000 or more sloshing around their bank account get a nice discount to buy a car. If you don't have £13,000 spare to buy a new car, (and I humbly suggest consumers like that need government help more), you get nothing. It's redistribution of tax-payers money from the poor to those rich enough to buy new cars. Madness.
    Jun 18 04:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eurozone Pays the Price for Pursuing Paper Wealth [View article]
    Nooby73, spot on again. You, Sir, have a brain the size of Texas.
    Jun 17 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eurozone Pays the Price for Pursuing Paper Wealth [View article]
    nobby73, great points.
    Jun 17 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eurozone Pays the Price for Pursuing Paper Wealth [View article]
    Old limey, I did not say the US and UK would be spared a recession did I? I specifically said they are trailing the field to escape recession, primarily because the ECB cut rates so late and so slowly you would be forgiven for thinking they were trying to pre-empt the next recession, not fix this one.

Nor did I say the US or UK were spared property prices declines. But ECB action is proving less effective than in the US or UK because there is less action in Europe. Anyone who thinks one monetary policy can fit 16 different countries is a politician first, a dreamer second and a bureacrat 3rd. Most worldy-wise economists would agree. And as for Europe bashing, I am not, I am ECB bashing. There is a difference.

Have you even met a Central Bank chairman or someone on the ECB interest policy team or for that matter the BoE MPC committee. I have, and I can assure you there are not as smart as they think are, nor are they as smart as some of the better contributors here on SA.

However, I greatly appreciate you would take the time to read and comment on my article and I look forward to correcting you again in the future.
    Jun 17 03:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment