Transcend Asset

View Transcend Asset's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Code Orange For Apple: Market Share Decline Is A Pounding Headache [View article]
    markpelmark,

I would be CRAZY to completely be *dependent* on one source for my assessments. You will note that I have been assessing mobile players for a very long time. The first article I ever wrote was on Nokia.

My research on BB itself is extensive. And I'm not afraid to point out their weaknesses. Have done so in 2 articles.
    Aug 6 04:19 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    terryongarland,

That's only because BlackBerry has services and cash in the bank, and yet its stock valuation is in the pits.

To put things in perspective, because I'm not so old I need to live off my savings, I do 90% international/ US and 10% Cdn for investing. Most of my BlackBerry holding is actually in US denomination. I had no problem buying US companies during the recession. I rather prefer holding USD because I like ADRs. Logitech, anyone? Sony? Been there, done that.

The unfortunate fact which an author on SA today draws attention to is that the US government is making the whole thing a political issue with the NSA spying putting foreign governments on the defense. The US vs Canada thing is really a HEY! the US government started it kind of thing. Quite unfortunate if you hold US tech.

Not that I would back away from it. KING, EA, and TTWO have my attention. But just saying. I'm *not* in this just because it's Canadian. I'm in it because I think that it's got so many parts to sort, but when you sift it, you see that it has more ways to win than lose.
    Aug 6 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    blejsmith,

BlackBerry will be fine if the entire Europe follows Germany's lead and adopts BlackBerry for government. And make that China as well.

All things considered, if only 1 BlackBerry sells in the US (and it is to Obama), and the rest of the world will adopt BlackBerry for enterprise, then there's really no lost. The US can keep using Apple. Just as the NSA tries to hack other countries, and they retaliate... Americans have just made themselves vulnerable to foreign spies.
    Aug 6 03:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Jon408,

I appreciate your opinion. But really, Coach? It's going down. Poor choice for comparison. The ones who have a moat are the ones that are view as classic. May I recommend Ralph Lauren and Michael Kors for your consideration, as far as retail?

As for phones, who has a classic on the way again? BlackBerry.
    Aug 6 03:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: It's Good To Be Canadian [View article]
    Gonzalo, great read, thank you for the writeup! =)

mag1205, if the US media cared, they would have done enough to make it look shameful to get into debt. In the same vein that debt is a non-issue quickly dismissed and forgotten, security is too.

Security is an insurance issue. People don't view it as a personal issue. They are not aware that at the end of the day, the costs get passed back to them.

I pity the minority of Americans who know that for a fact. They must be the 1% who are wealthy. Ask someone like Bill Gates if security is valuable! He lives in a fortress. And this whole thing about storing data offshore, and companies moving off to Ireland to establish head offices... it's for what purpose? Freedom and security from nosy government.
    Aug 6 03:28 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Big Elephants Afraid Of A Mouse: What Apple Is Not Telling You About BlackBerry [View article]
    226,

To paraphrase you, I don't need to let go of my Apple obsession just because you say so. You're not willing to let go of the BlackBerry obsession. Kofi Bofah isn't willing to let go of his debenture = dilution = sky is falling opinion.
    Aug 6 01:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bit, a virus can either crash your computer or steal your credit information. What would be interesting to know is how much of that 1.2 Billion or so of information stolen by the Russians comes from iProducts. Of course, given the banks are mum and Apple is mum, we probably will never know.

So in a sense, I'll say this debate can go on endlessly and we'll never really know. The big boys on WS took a look at the Target fiasco and are trying to make sure their paycheque is secure, that's my opinion.
    Aug 6 01:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hey Bud,

I can tell you I've been told I must be a bunch of other people on SA, just because someone recently joined and started commenting.

If you look at the distinct style of my writing, which draws on a strong financial background and also a tech background, and realize I have battled Mr. KnowItAll quite successfully on an intellectual level though we're both sticking to our bullish and bearish stance, you will realize I am myself.

Linda =)
    Aug 6 01:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Well, looks like the Chinese government are really trying to push Apple out of the country. Today, they announced a ban on the purchase of Apple devices for government use. Germany had ditched iPhones awhile ago and moved to BlackBerry. Whether the Chinese go with BlackBerry for government use or use a Chinese brand remains to be seen.

Aug 6 08:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Passport Is No Apple iPhone Killer [View article]
    Negative correlation for Apple, you mean?! I totally see that with today's news reporting. Apple products banned from use by Chinese gov't. Negative for one, positive for the other:

My price target for Apple is now $88.

Message to shorts: Cover before you lose your car, your house, etc
    Aug 6 08:11 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    bit and c man,

This should settle part of your dispute:
    Aug 6 01:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Memories,

Thanks for writing! While carriers can't afford to not have Apple in their lineup in the US, the situation seems to be quite different in China. Also, even with US carriers, the market share decline gives them a right to bargain which wasn't there before. They can look at it and say to themselves, "Apple can't afford to lose more market share. We can push them in ways we could not before."

If your statement about QWERTY were true, please explain why Typo2 is interested in releasing another (uglier) keyboard for the iPhone. Are they misguided?? They must have done well enough with the first version to have they drive to tempt BB to sue them again.
    Aug 5 11:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi inside man,

I'm not sure we really know what the profit margins for these upstarts are. They sell in their home country, where there is high population. Also, they're privately owned. They don't need to tell people anything they don't want to.

Also, Asia is full of engineers who excel at reverse engineering. Where patent law is lax, this concept of R&D to keep ahead is a tough one to use to get a winner there. Xiaomi's version of the OS is highly customized.

Apple is doing better in the PC market, so that might be the direction to go... afterall, I don't believe they have a hybrid? Maybe axe the standalone iPads at some point and just do hybrids. Apple's not completely in trouble, though its developed some issues it never used to.
    Aug 5 10:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Moon Kil Woong,

I agree that high end market share is important - celebrite endorsements, status symbol. At some point, eventually, there needs to be people buying at the low end to create enough continuous cashflow. Even when Apple drops its price, it seems some people don't want to buy (as evidenced by lack of channel clearing on the iPhone 5 devices). This then becomes a concern. How far must you drop prices to get the next buyer? or for demand to pickup?

Apple's success has sometimes been the result of copying others. Some have said it's success is the result of adding spice to what's out there in the market and making it theirs. Or getting people to think Apple got it first. Given the overabundance of Android devices, I am not sure this charade can continue for much longer.
    Aug 5 10:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    shangjeen,

Why go through the extra layer? None of these other OSes are secure. They can be hacked. They can infect your car with malicious code. Their actions need to be curbed and contained.

Android runs on BB10 without the need for porting now. You are working with old news. Just download an Android app from Amazon and it runs.
    Aug 5 10:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment