Transcend Asset

View Transcend Asset's Comments BY TICKER:
  • BlackBerry Demystified: Everything Wall Street Is Not Telling You [View article]
    Hi Terrence,

Yes, I have had the fun of spending time educating sales people. They were happy to learn verifiable information. I never feed people info. I show them statistics and facts. I told the sales people to google for the info they were missing on BlackBerry. It definitely is sad that there's a lot they do not know.

Turning the tide is a long process.
    Apr 23 09:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Would you prefer he said 0%? When he said 50/50, my internal probability was doing 25, 35, 40%. And my friends were thinking I was crazy given my portfolio allocation to the turnaround. People's reaction said to me that they though it was a 0% probability. So be impressed that this guy is honest. And he's not going to try and sell you onto something the way I see some CEOs at other companies sell people onto their stocks.

And now, we're in with Chen for 5 months. Things are shaping up even more. Ask him his probability for November.

Cheers!
    Apr 23 09:46 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi abigchocoholic,

Thanks for writing. I have not tried to make the whole turnaround a rosy story as you will see I provide the consumer problem up front. However, your argument about profit margin is missing one interesting fact when it comes to software, patents, copyrights: prices can be raised overnight and clients can grumble and be UNABLE to do anything about it. If your product is sticky enough, they'll stick. Think NetFlix and the price hikes. Think Pandora and the whole royalty issue. Raise it, and after all that's said, well, the price went up but even if some customers drop off, what the heck. The profit went up. I've done consulting work where I see first hand how raising the price is beneficial: the cheapskate/ high maintenance goes to the competition. Does that hurt? Nope.
    Apr 23 09:39 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As for QNX being open source, do realize that they have add ons and services which they can sell. Also, expertise in helping companies use the technology. I know about open source. I've worn many hats in this life. I know about UNIX systems, Linux, and Red Hat.

Red Hat sells services and can make a decent profit doing it. QNX was just not managed properly and marketed properly under previous leaders.
    Apr 23 09:31 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Marcap,

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. I suppose the number of clients who have NOT switched from BlackBerry does not interest you in your consideration that the turnaround is NOT working? It is, to me, quite incredible that they are waiting for BlackBerry to do what they want it to.

Chen has been through this before with Sybase. He said in something I read (I read so much, 1998 material all the way to current).. Every time he wanted to meet the CIO, he would be met with a list of complaints and get told to get things fixed. He would sometimes be told he's wasting their time and to go and do things right. Some would cancel the meeting and tell him to just go get things done. Well, I imagine he is hearing stuff like that right now too. But is he sitting back? No. BlackBerry even works weekends! Chen is meeting with the media and CIOs seemingly all hours of the day and weekend. New releases of software comes out even on weekends. I don't see other software companies pulling this hard. I am wowed.

Have you read my article for how he dealt with cash burn at Sybase? Phase 1, Phase 2. Well, Phase 1 is at an end with BlackBerry.

Cheers!
    Apr 23 09:27 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi David,

Let me try and understand what you are saying: that debentures take precedence over common shares. True, and I admit if that was what you're trying to say, I know how all that works but did not think of it while writing.

But all things considered, the unsecured debenture holder's precedence isn't going to amount for much. Pennies on the dollar, if you have ever followed proceedings for other tickers regarding creditors. Things like ensuring employees are paid, the rent is paid, the suppliers are paid... all come before.

I am of the opinion Watsa and group chose what is by appearance the most risky avenue for their monies. Warren Buffett goes for the preferred shares. That, months ago, was something I turned over in my mind. Hmmmmmm... interesting. So I ask, why is Watsa doing what he is doing? The difference is, he is on the board. Buffett isn't (I am considering Bank of America as an example), as far as I can tell. Each investor is seeking his balance and managing his risk. Watsa's managing it by being on the board. Buffett manages it by being way up on the creditor line.
    Apr 23 09:20 AM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As a chicken with its head cut off, you mean?

Turnarounds are by nature difficult. However, we now have someone with 15 years of experience with a turnaround, giving shareholders positive earnings quarter after quarter, at the helm.

Let's have the facts stand on their own "chicken" legs, then! ;)
    Apr 23 08:58 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks @Traderette =)
    Apr 23 08:53 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you! I enjoy reading your articles too =)

Keep them coming =)
    Apr 23 08:52 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks! I was sweating it wondering if SeekingAlpha would let me publish everything word for word. I rarely write, but when I do, I don't want any of my words added or deleted.

Quite frankly, everything is exactly the way I want it. They only went through and added tickers.

Cheers! =)
    Apr 23 08:51 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment

I expect this to go way beyond $50 in 2 years. Long, adding, and holding =)
    Apr 23 08:50 AM | 27 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Open Letter To John Chen [View article]
    Nicely done! Bravo!
    Feb 19 11:59 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Yes, Things Can Get Worse [View article]
    I wouldn't be that quick to declare death on the company. I work with people who have an iPod for their music but have been getting their friends to ditch Samsung S4s and switch to Z30s. They only text, run their business, and make phone calls with their phone for the most part. Profile: Business owners, 50+. Blackberry's target market? YES!

Time will tell =)
    Dec 23 09:04 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Durable Goods [View news story]
    Yes, but *core* durables are down. ie. CapEx minus aircrafts (military goods) is down. And has been revised down for August.

Oct 25 10:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Universal Display: Gold Dust Or Saw Dust? [View article]
    There's a link posted on someone's Twitter, refers to a patent troll article. It seems to follow the same line of thought as Assensio... which is that Universal is a patent troll. I am not sure it really is one in the sense that it continues to improve OLED products and conduct research. A true troll doesn't. Of course, some may just argue we can forget the troll part and see what this legislation change could do to the bottom line. Safer to just watch this thing from a distance till ER.

Interesting read: http://nyti.ms/19ewGKx