Trent Guinn

View Trent Guinn's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Sandridge Mississippian Trust I: Reinvestment Should Be Actively Managed [View article]
    Regenia,
    I'll leave that to a tax expert, but I know that you have to file a K1. But you would be filing that and any other extra documents whether you reinvested or not.
    Mar 1, 2012. 01:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Welshdog,
    I have mine set up in a DRIP. Depending on the fees associated with purchasing stock, I believe this to be the best approach.

For your second question, what I meant was to reinvest the dividends for 3 years(12 quarters), and then wait until you receive the payment from the next quarter (13th quarter) before you sell. However, this all depends on the share price.
    Mar 1, 2012. 01:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very understandable, and a very good stock to have for income! This approach is more geared towards growth investors. If you need/desire the income you should take cash.
    Mar 1, 2012. 01:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the input and kind words, Tim. I hope I helped clear up some questions that arise with the dividends from royalty trusts.

Oil and gas prices are a huge concern, but one that I feel has more room to move upwards rather than downwards. With a constantly increasing demand, and all of the conflicts overseas, I don't see prices moving much to the downside. I guess all we can do is wait and see!
    Mar 1, 2012. 12:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Betting On Boston Private [View article]
    I want a bank that can make money WITHOUT fees. As you pointed out with the BAC example, fees aren't too popular today.
    Feb 20, 2012. 01:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    Good luck with what? Improving technology? They will improve the same way your solar companies are improving technology. Why can improvements be made for them but not the big bad oil companies?
    Feb 20, 2012. 12:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    Thanks for the praise, hope I helped you make an informed decision.

Still haven't received a rebuttal from Dana on cost reductions. I'm interested to hear his take on that.
    Feb 17, 2012. 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    "Chesapeake can't [lower costs]" !?

I am sorry, but that final line lost you any credibility you had throughout the article (as David White pointed out, they have many more(Utica especially) oil-rich acres that they aren't selling).

To say that they can not lower costs is insane. This past decade, drilling technology associated with shale have advanced so much that they have just now(past few years) started to become economically viable. Every day the drillers/completers/pr... gain more expertise on shale plays, thereby reducing costs. Once a field is more developed, the availability of information and equipment increases greatly, thereby reducing the costs. The optimization of fractures is another huge cost saver, which happens mainly through experience in a play. I could go on and on about ways the costs and technology can be improved.

Please, if you are going to bash Chesapeake, do so with correct assumptions.
    Feb 15, 2012. 05:00 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shale: This Time It's Different [View article]
    In the 1920's and 1960's we didn't have the same ability to drill horizontally that we do now. We can now drill laterals a few miles long. Couple that with the advances in fracturing and you have the opportunity for economically viable shale plays.
    Feb 8, 2012. 01:51 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment