Trent Guinn

View Trent Guinn's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The President's plan to chill supposed oil manipulation: Increase by 6-fold the surveillance and enforcement staff at the CFTC. Increase spending on surveillance technology. Increase civil and criminal penalties for manipulation from $1M to $10M. Give the CFTC authority to increase margins (presumably now only the domain of the exchanges). Crude +1.4% to $104.84.  [View news story]
    LOL. It seems as if the traders are taunting him.

Obama says: "I will end speculators who are driving the price of oil up!"

Market says: "Crude +1.4%"
    Apr 17 11:55 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chesapeake Energy: A Wise Bet On The Popularity Of Natural Gas Vehicles [View article]
    I'm going to respond to both this response and the one below it. It will be lengthy, so please bear with me.

"It smells foul to me." Are you accusing me of market manipulation? I guess I will take that as a compliment, because if I can get less than 30k viewers and ~30 followers to make ANY significant impact on the share price, I suppose my articles and opinions are very convincing. Also, I don't have the money to own nearly enough shares to make any sort of significant money. LOL.

As to you losing so much money; don't blame the CEO and his ways AFTER you bought !!55,000!! shares. Maybe you shouldn't put over a million dollars into a stock that you can't do enough research on to discover that the CEO that has been in place since DAY 1 does things the way he does.

If you really did have so many shares and lost so much money, it sounds like you deserved it. If not, I would appreciate it if you would stop recklessly bashing stocks and accusing the SA Authors of market manipulation.
    Apr 4 09:24 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shale: This Time It's Different [View article]
    In the 1920's and 1960's we didn't have the same ability to drill horizontally that we do now. We can now drill laterals a few miles long. Couple that with the advances in fracturing and you have the opportunity for economically viable shale plays.
    Feb 8 01:51 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chesapeake Energy - Delay In Asset Sales Is Disappointing [View article]
    Yes. So when prices recover, they are allowed to add this back to the books. Really, a non-event for long term investors. Well, I suppose it provides a nice dip to buy on.
    Nov 4 01:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Marcellus Shale Time Bomb Is Ticking [View article]
    Reuters is reputable, but it also seems they have some sort of grudge against CHK. Every bad news report released this year came first from Reuters. Not trying to start any conspiracies or arguments, just stating an opinion.
    Oct 25 12:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Another Way To Reinvest Dividends [View article]
    If you are worried about a company "completely falling apart," why are you invested in it at all?
    Aug 28 12:03 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Many Things To Like About Sandridge Energy [View article]
    Tom has leased 1.2 million acres in the Mississippian LIME, and they only want/can drill 1 million. Having paying an average price of $200/ac for more acreage than you can drill, and recent prices of over $4000/ac, it seems pretty obvious why he isn't leasing any more. SD buys what is out of favor, and then unlocks the true potential of the plays. Mississippian acreage is not currently out of favor.

HOWEVER, offshore is out of favor, and Ward picked up Dynamic on the cheap. "Likely to do anything,"-The only thing I see Tom Ward likely to do is to be a cheap-oil buyer, unlocking huge value for investors who are willing to "speculate."
    May 7 09:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bank Of America: Continued Positive Steps Make This Stock Even More Compelling [View article]
    Completely agree on the rental program. Doubled down yesterday, long BAC.
    Mar 23 12:04 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Could Chesapeake Be 2012's First Solar? [View article]
    "Chesapeake can't [lower costs]" !?

I am sorry, but that final line lost you any credibility you had throughout the article (as David White pointed out, they have many more(Utica especially) oil-rich acres that they aren't selling).

To say that they can not lower costs is insane. This past decade, drilling technology associated with shale have advanced so much that they have just now(past few years) started to become economically viable. Every day the drillers/completers/pr... gain more expertise on shale plays, thereby reducing costs. Once a field is more developed, the availability of information and equipment increases greatly, thereby reducing the costs. The optimization of fractures is another huge cost saver, which happens mainly through experience in a play. I could go on and on about ways the costs and technology can be improved.

Please, if you are going to bash Chesapeake, do so with correct assumptions.
    Feb 15 05:00 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup May Be A Buy For The Mid- To Long-Term Investor [View article]
    You can not compare using the split-adjusted price for one value and then use the non-adjusted price for the other...Either it's 500-20 or 50-2, take your pick.
    Jul 29 02:34 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investors Overreact To Chesapeake CEO Loan Scandal [View article]
    I'm almost certain the Founder's Well Program is 'all or nothing.'
    Apr 18 02:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CHK just announced the removal of their natural gas hedges. This could signal that CHK believes this is the bottom of NG prices. Without these hedges, they will save money and leave room to the upside.
    Apr 9 02:11 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Actually, after checking out your profile, I see that you call anyone recommending a stock a pumper. If you want I can start writing articles about how Apple is going to $1000 and you should dump a cool million into those shares.
    Apr 4 09:29 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Slimback,

Anything is worth as much as someone will pay. In this case, people(the CHK JVs) have paid a whole heck of a lot for the acreage.
    Apr 4 10:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the comment, Skip. I agree it is risky, but I believe CHK management can pull it off.
    Apr 4 09:18 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment