Uncommon Sense

View Uncommon Sense's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Biozoom: Current Shareholders Likely Victims Of An Illegal Stock Promotion Scam [View article]
    "I'm holding on to my shares until I have some verification."

Considering the stock has been halted by the SEC, I don't think you have any other option.
    Jun 25 01:06 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What The Market Missed On Kandi [View article]
    Are you implying that the article is less legitimate because the author has a position that coincides with his opinion? I don't see how that is any different from a long investor writing a positive article.

I personally like to see authors put their money where their mouth is.
    Jun 21 11:28 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NQ Mobile: China Trip Report, Part 1 [View article]
    I wouldn't consider compensation a transitory expense, unless you expect employees to work for free in the future.
    Jun 18 03:06 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • NQ Mobile: China Trip Report, Part 1 [View article]
    @tradestar2012

Just because SBC is a non-cash expense doesn't mean it should be ignored by equity investors, regardless of what "major financial institutions" may do.

As an extreme example, assume SBC is increased to 100% of the market cap and the market cap remains unchanged, your shares are now worth about half of what they were before.

To quote Warren Buffet "If stock options aren’t a form of compensation, what are they? If compensation isn’t an expense, what is it? And, if expenses shouldn’t go into the calculation of earnings, where in the world do they go?"
    Jun 18 02:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kandi Technologies: Customs Records Contradict U.S. Electric-Vehicle Sales Claims [View article]
    The news stories and pictures coming out of China about partnerships with important Chinese companies make me feel the company is definitely legit and seems to have a very bright future but Sharesleuth and others have uncovered suspicious activities that make me question the motives for why the company is listed solely on a U.S. exchange. If KNDI was an ADR of a Chinese listing I would already be invested.
    Apr 24 02:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I don't have a position in KNDI currently but have been following the story, if this is the best argument the shorts can make then I might have to take a position.

One thing that bothers me is why are they listed solely on a U.S. exchange? I would feel much more comfortable investing if they were also listed in Hong Kong or China. Is there an example of a very successful Chinese public company that is listed solely outside of China?
    Apr 23 04:30 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Keep Buying Groupon Inc. On Every Dip [View article]
    I have no position in Groupon but I think your statement "What excites me is the fact that GRPN has $1.2 billion in cash and $0 debt" is misleading. The company may not have debt but it does has liabilities, including nearly $1 billion in accrued expenses and payables.

A better way to judge the liquidity of the company would be to subtract total current liabilities from total current assets, which was about $320 million as of the last filing.
    Apr 11 10:47 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mobile Investing In Africa Series, Part 1: MTN Group [View article]
    Great article, the demographics of Africa make a compelling growth story but increased competition and declining ARPUs could dramatically reduce the effect of subscriber growth for MTN. Do you think competitive pricing pressures could result in mobile penetration rate increases greater than estimate for Nigeria and other low penetration nations? Or is this likely already factored in?
    Apr 4 01:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Is Helping Windows Phone Gain Market Share [View article]
    Correct, the initial success of the 620 is what gives me confidence that a much cheaper model (the 520) and a very high quality mid-range device (the 720) will also be successful.
    Apr 3 09:59 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Is Helping Windows Phone Gain Market Share [View article]
    Just wait until the Lumia 520 and 720 start selling across the globe this month, both are phenomenal phones for the price and should lead to significant market share gains in emerging markets.
    Apr 3 09:07 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia (NOK -0.2%) needs to release a Lumia phone with a 5" display, argues IDC's Francisco Jeronimo. "“People are using smartphones in different ways now ... A 5-inch screen for a smartphone just feels right in the hand." Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S IV features a 5" 1080p display, while Nokia's flagship Lumia 920 uses a 4.5" 1280x768 display. A Nokia spokesman says the company is assessing consumer interest in larger smartphones. [View news story]
    "A 5-inch screen for a smartphone just feels right in the hand"

So all customers have the same hand size now?
    Apr 2 12:32 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Smartphone Wars: Why Nokia Has Been Left Behind [View article]
    They get paid per view and controversial headlines like this one get many views.
    Apr 2 10:43 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Smartphone Wars: Why Nokia Has Been Left Behind [View article]
    I don't get the obsession with specs, shouldn't it be more important how it actually performs?

WP8 runs as good or better with dual-core than most Androids with quad-core. It is a much more efficient OS, which is why low cost windows phones should start taking more and more market share from budget Androids as users start to appreciate this.

There is also more to a camera than the number of pixels, the mid-range Lumia 720 has arguably a better camera at 6.7MP than all iOS and Android phones. http://nokia.ly/10uFSEy
    Apr 2 10:18 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Nokia Hand Over Fist [View article]
    1. Things have improved significantly since then.
    2. That is a good question, maybe Siemens has better capital allocation opportunities within their conglomerate, NSN isn't a core business to them. Maybe the future isn't bright for NSN but Nokia has targeted 5% to 10% long run operating margins for it and I continue to see new contracts being awarded around the world.
    Mar 28 11:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Nokia Hand Over Fist [View article]
    I don't think the Finnish government would let any foreign company buy Nokia right now and risk all those jobs and tax income leaving the country. Even if I'm wrong and MSFT could buy Nokia, the price that shareholders would require is much higher than the current market cap so it wouldn't be a small purchase, even for MSFT, so I disagree that because Nokia hasn't been bought yet means that no one wants to buy it.

I don't know why Siemens wants out of NSN but its very possible that they just want to allocate capital to other businesses within their conglomerate, NSN is not a core business for them. You are probably right that Nokia couldn't afford to buy Siemens half in cash right now but there are probably other deals that could be worked out or other strategic partners brought in. Nokia likes NSN and if it continues to generate significant cash flow then so do I.
    Mar 28 10:43 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment