Uncommon Sense

View Uncommon Sense's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nokia Is Connecting The Next Billion People [View article]
    Good article today on Nokia's China ambitions http://bit.ly/10kWt21
    Mar 7 10:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Is Connecting The Next Billion People [View article]
    @Lekoko
    Thanks for the comment but I respectfully disagree. It is a shame that people responded to the memo like they did but I wouldn't call his words careless or ignorant. The memo was well thought out and eloquently written, it showed that he knew Nokia had plenty of challenges and that he planned to do something about them. Symbian sales would've dropped off regardless of the memo because of the switch to windows phone(for reasons he stated in the memo) but the tone and content of the memo give me a good deal of confidence in Elop as CEO.
    Those who don't know what we are talking about can read the memo here http://engt.co/XRWKW6
    Mar 6 08:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Think Twice Before Betting On Nokia At Current Price - Part 1 [View article]
    Very true. You could replace every mention of "Nokia" in this article with any number of companies and not notice the difference
    Mar 6 04:29 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Think Twice Before Betting On Nokia At Current Price - Part 1 [View article]
    You said "If the liquidation values were even 40% or 60%, an investor could have taken comfort...", well the net cash balance at the end of Q4 was 4.4 billion euros, greater than 40% of the current market cap, so not sure what you are looking at. This doesn't include any of Nokia's other assets and I would argue that the true liquidation value is well over 100%.

Regardless, Nokia is the kind of company that requires more than just financial statement analysis.
    Mar 6 04:14 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Is Connecting The Next Billion People [View article]
    I think it was a smart move. They got what I think is a better OS for basically free and save a ton of cash by letting Microsoft do a large amount of the development and marketing. In my opinion, Elop has done an incredible job turning Nokia around thus far (I loved the "burning platform" memo) and appears to have a very good strategy for the future.
    Mar 6 03:52 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Growing Chinese Middle Class: 3 Stocks To Buy, 1 To Avoid [View article]
    2 comments about your take on Nokia:

1. I agree China is important but looking at Q4 data doesn't say much about the future. The Lumia 920 wasn't launched until Dec 23rd, the 620 was launched in Q1 and the 520/720 will be launched late Q1 and early Q2.

2. You said "Nokia is offering its Lumina model that is priced at $738". It's Lumia not Lumina and that price is for the only the 920. The cheapest model, the Lumia 520, will retail for about $185 unsubsidized before taxes and still has great features.

Please see my article published today for more info http://seekingalpha.co...
    Mar 6 02:56 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LeapFrog's Threats And Opportunities Are Widely Misunderstood [View article]
    Thanks for the comment but how did you come up with 12-18 months? On the Q4 earnings release management specifically stated they didn't expect to pay any significant amount of U.S. federal taxes for several years. Obviously if they make more profit than anticipated that could change but that would be a very good thing.

All tax noise aside, the company is currently trading at an enterprise value of about 4x 2012 adjusted EBITDA. Still looks like a value play to me.
    Mar 3 03:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Nokia Doing A Good Job Marketing The Lumia 920? [View article]
    Thanks for the field research, I look forward to the next article. The marketing hasn't been great in the U.S. either but you could be right about it being intentional since demand is still greater than supply. I'd expect to see better marketing in China once the 520 and 720 start arriving in plentiful supply.
    Mar 1 04:03 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: HERE We Go [View article]
    Why would Nokia do a reverse split? I see no reason for that at this time.

Also, a reverse split doesn't change the value of the company by even one cent, it just reduces the number of shares outstanding. If Nokia were to sell off for a stupid reason like that I would happily buy all the shares I could.
    Mar 1 08:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Samsung Copies Nokia's Winning Strategy [View article]
    Good article, straight to the point. I really like Nokia's emerging market strategy and I think it is a great bargain at an enterprise value of less than $8 billion.
    Feb 26 04:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • LeapFrog's Threats And Opportunities Are Widely Misunderstood [View article]
    Very good points but all of those competitors were around last holiday season and did little to stop LeapFrog's momentum. The Kindle Freetime service seems like the strongest competitor you mentioned but there is still a question of content quality because I disagree with you that parents don't care what their children use the tablets for. I still feel the growth opportunities, especially internationally, are enough to increase earnings despite strong competition.
    Feb 19 05:54 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LeapFrog's Threats And Opportunities Are Widely Misunderstood [View article]
    Thanks for the comment. The main point of the article is that I disagree that a cyclical decline is imminent and thus why I feel the multiple is unjustified.
    Feb 19 05:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment