Understanding Businesses

View Understanding Businesses' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Berkshire Hathaway: Undervalued And Ready To Jump [View article]
    Yes, I completely agree. That cash is definitely the output of many of the wonderful businesses he owns. I believe he is keeping his money very liquid as cash, instead of putting it in very low yield money market funds, or bonds, in case he needs to quickly deploy it to make a large acquistion. It just goes to show he believes the market is beginning to value companies in his price range, and that he's ready to pounce on a good investment.
    Dec 31 10:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Ascent Capital: Rich Valuation To Peers And Recent M&A, While Competitive Threats Loom [View article]
    Why didn't you pro-forma your numbers for the owners earnings calculation? Wouldn't it make sense to especially since all the debt from the security networks acquisition is already baked into enterprise value?
    Apr 24 10:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lockheed Martin: An Excellent Long-Term Dividend Play [View article]
    Yes, it was unfortunate the B2 program was cut, but the B2 was obviously a very different plane than the F-35. It was a very unique bomber, and not as necessary as the F-35. It makes sense that a specialty program like the B2 would be cut, but I think the government's desire with the F-35 is different. As I said in my article, the ultimate plan with F-35 is to develop a plane that can be used across all armed forces. That goal will eliminate a wide range of future costs, including maintenance and training costs. The real question is will the government endure the costs now for the benefits in the future? I sure hope they have a long-term focus with their cuts.
    Jan 31 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lockheed Martin: An Excellent Long-Term Dividend Play [View article]
    I believe its a much different story with GE. A large portion GE's revenues are from GE Capital, causing it to be much more exposed to the credit crisis in '08. Lockheed doesn't have that kind of exposure.
    Jan 31 12:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lockheed Martin: An Excellent Long-Term Dividend Play [View article]
    Yes, I definitely agree the faulty fuel lines may hurt the company, but the government is already so invested in the F-35 project that there is no chance the government will pull away from the project. It will definitely hurt the company's margins on the F-35, but the project will still be an excellent source of cash flow in the long-run. I do believe the new CEO will do a fine job in her position, since she has been in the company for quite some time, and knows the business very well.
    Jan 31 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lockheed Martin: An Excellent Long-Term Dividend Play [View article]
    I appreciate the kind words! I am currently doing a lot of research to understand Prem Watsa's Fairfax Financial, as I believe it is very undervalued. I will make sure to include a thorough breakdown of the business in that article, so readers will be able to understand every detail of the business.
    Jan 31 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Western Union Will Destroy Its Competition [View article]
    The chart represents net income growth over five and a half years. The annualized growth is 5.6%. I apologize for the confusion. The graph came out much worse using the net income figures since MGI was all over the place. The percent change in net income was much more organized.
    Jan 28 10:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EZCorp Filled With Value [View article]
    No, I meant operating income for the quarter. So, it's the YoY difference between the third quarters.
    Jan 17 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gentex Corp: Undervalued With Huge Potential [View article]
    It is absurd. Automobile makers must be pressuring them to either come up with another solution, or not pass it.
    Jan 16 08:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gentex Corp: Undervalued With Huge Potential [View article]
    They delayed the ruling again on Dec 31st. I haven't found any new information on it, and I've been looking for the past couple days.
    Jan 16 07:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pitney Bowes Is A Ticking Time Bomb [View article]
    It's hard to say. I believe its still too early in the implementation stages to tell. The specific business segment including Volly hasn't even contributed $100 million in income yet, and has a long way to go before it substantially diversifies the company's product mix. The product has drawn interest though. There's an article on it here: http://on.mktw.net/Vhtoj3
    Jan 15 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pitney Bowes Is A Ticking Time Bomb [View article]
    Interesting. I didn't think that was normally the case. I'll take a look at TEF. Thanks!
    Jan 15 05:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pitney Bowes Is A Ticking Time Bomb [View article]
    With depreciation, I was arguing that it could be possible that some assets loss their value, mainly because some of those assets are postage meters. It is very plausible that these assets could become irrelevant and lose their value, but I also realize that property is also included in that depreciation. Thank you for pointing at my cash flow error. I do see my mistake, but was trying to emphasize how some of PBI's assets could lose their value (mainly their equipment).
    Jan 15 12:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pitney Bowes Is A Ticking Time Bomb [View article]
    Actually, Moody's and S&P have PBI's debt one notch above speculative grade. At that point, it'll only take one slip up for them change their minds. Also, asset's such as postage meters can very well become worthless over time. Comparing Coke's formula or Disney's parks isn't nearly an adequate comparison. It is much easier to say your grandkids will be taking their grandkids to Disney World, and they'll also be drinking Coke. Can you say with confidence we'll be using Pitney-Bowe's postage meters in 50 years? I don't think so.
    Jan 15 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EZCorp Filled With Value [View article]
    Certain laws are passed in different municipalities that may have a negative effect on profits. It varies by areas, and hasn't affected earnings too much. Profits margins are up to 14.5% from 10.2% in 2007.
    Jan 15 10:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment