View as an RSS Feed
Overvaluation Pervasive Among The Industrial Cyclicals - A Survey Of Timely Short-Sale Candidates
- Sharp declines among overvalued technology stocks and U.S. small-caps have garnered a great deal of attention in recent months, yet few are asking “which overvalued sector is next?"
- A cursory review of various industrial cyclical stocks reveals peak-level valuations and frothy, overbought prices.
- Current valuations, coupled with financial and operating leverage, suggest that long-term risk-reward among most industrial cyclicals is heavily skewed to the downside.
- Disappointing future macroeconomic performance, likely portended by a flattening yield curve and sluggish copper prices, represents an obvious catalyst for a substantial correction in the coming months.
- Given the risk-reward calculus at current valuations, short-sales of select cyclicals may be attractive as hedges on a long-oriented portfolio.
Assessing The Growth Scare At Kinder Morgan
- In recent months KMI and KMP have been hit by a perfect storm of negative sentiment, particularly fears of a secular growth slowdown, that has unduly depressed stock and unit prices.
- A careful analysis of the growth slowdown thesis reveals that it is based on faulty arguments and misconceptions, as well as media-driven herding bias.
- KMP/KMR and KMI represent superior risk-adjusted investments at the present time, with a potential total return of 40% over the next 12-18 months.
Chasing Your Tail: An Alpha-Seeking Tail Risk Hedge For The Current Market
- The 2008 Global Financial Crisis and the general prevalence of event-driven waterfall declines over the past 15-20 years have sparked an interest in "tail risk" insurance among institutional investors.
- Most tail risk protection strategies use a passive approach, have high costs and are not widely available to retail investors who in any event have limited awareness of the concept.
- Long-dated, deep out-of-the-money put options on the EWH are a timely example of a low-cost, alpha-oriented tail risk hedge that is available to retail investors.
- 2007 Revisited: Where To Invest In A Late-Stage Bull Market?